The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Which Color Wheel Would You Prefer

• Gloss Black

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Matte Black

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Flat Graphite

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Instead of guessing let's measure! All three of these fit in my wheels so the two links below both state 1.10" in diameter so they should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-1316SKT-Thin-Socket/dp/B002803D22

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTFGJK/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gorilla that I use: 1.092"

51C560B5-540C-4906-9398-500C800CF65A_zpsnjbzevep.jpg

Craftsman 13/16" USA Made: 1.123"

4D9B9CDE-83D3-4EE9-AC4B-5061D1DA5F33_zpskf0np1p9.jpg

Craftsman 13/16" spark plug socket USA Made: 1.052

58809471-870B-4846-83A3-6FFC3A95E6A7_zpsafeyppiw.jpg

Champale said:
Sean - I have not read the whole thread but which size/offsets are your wheels? The reason I ask is that I have been down the MPSS fitment rabbit hole before with my wheels. As you probably know, the MPSS are an outlier in terms of actual mounted size - they run substantially fatter than other tires - and depending on your ride height and wheel specs, even a 305 might be too wide.

If you want to go look at wheel specs and compare, I have 20x10.5 ET45s at all 4 corners with MPSS 285/30/20XL front and 295/30/20XL rear and I am lowered about 1.5" on coilovers. Oh, and a 3mm spacer up front to clear the brakes so effectively my front offset is 42mm. I had the 305/30/20XLs rear and the 3/10" extra width caused rubbing at the top of my fender lip but, again, the MPSS run super wide.

That is my issue since I think those are the widest tires I can normally get for the car. I bought a Percy's Wheelrite so that should be here tomorrow so I can at least check my tire sizes sometime this weekend hopefully. I am also going to grab some small spacers as well and see if I can't mount those to give me a little bit of clearance as well.

I don't have a link but but the Bluepoint part number is LSR1250 I believe. I use it with a 3" impact extension. I haven't taken the wheels off my GT350 yet though. It does seem to pit the hole.

Sean - when I plug in my wheels specs (10.5" with 45mm offset) and your rears (11" with 50mm offset), it looks like yours extend out only 1mm further than mine but have 11mm less clearance inboard.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

My 295/30/20 PSS tires have a published treadwidth of 11.5" and a section width of 11.9" and don't rub with the panhard perfectly centered. The 305/30/20s I briefly tried had an 11.8" treadwidth and a 12.3" section width, and they rubbed. So if you stay smaller than the specs on my 295s, you should be good at least in the back.

The GT350-spec 305/35/19 PSS with a treadwith of 10.7" should be just about perfect I would guess. Although I guess in theory the wide section width of that tire could rub at full suspension compression if you are lowered quite a bit.

Re: Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Moto said:
Yes. The open dorman 611-257 with a 2" long black closed truck lug on top for appearance purposes.

Awesome thank you sir, thats exactly what I have gotten a large order of to fullfill all the R fitments.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento

Moto said:
Yes. The open dorman 611-257 with a 2" long black closed truck lug on top for appearance purposes.

Are these a locking lug nut that requires a key? Looking for something to aid in theft deterrence

Sydewaysix said:
Anyone have pictures of these wheels on a Boss, preferably white? I'd love to see how either the black or gunmetal sets look on a '13 PW Boss 8)

Shortly yes but not on white, its black.

Moto said:
I'm just putting this out there so that everyone is aware. A while back, I contacted Gorilla and asked the tech there if putting a closed lug over an open lug was ok. Now I'm sure part of this may have been from a liability standpoint, but without hesitation, he said there is a chance that one of the closed lugs could spin loose and be thrown off the wheel. At highway speeds, that could do some major damage to someone. Lugs are designed to be seated in the holes of the wheels, not against the flat surface of another lug nut. Because of his warning, I decided it wasn't worth the risk just for aesthetic purposes. If anybody does decide to do this, my suggestion would be to torque the snot out of them and check regularly.

stang302 said:
I'm just putting this out there so that everyone is aware. A while back, I contacted Gorilla and asked the tech there if putting a closed lug over an open lug was ok. Now I'm sure part of this may have been from a liability standpoint, but without hesitation, he said there is a chance that one of the closed lugs could spin loose and be thrown off the wheel. At highway speeds, that could do some major damage to someone. Lugs are designed to be seated in the holes of the wheels, not against the flat surface of another lug nut. Because of his warning, I decided it wasn't worth the risk just for aesthetic purposes. If anybody does decide to do this, my suggestion would be to torque the snot out of them and check regularly.

You dont want to torque too much because you can damage something that way also.

Need4SpeedMotors said:
You dont want to torque too much because you can damage something that way also.
True, but does anyone know how much is "enough" to prevent throwing a lug nut in this scenario and are they actually going to stick their neck out there and state a torque number?

TMO Supporting Vendors