The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT-82 Redline Lockouts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know I know before I get hit with the everyone's response to the MT-82's reputation. In it's defense, it actually shifts really well if you're not taking it all the way up to 7500 rpms. But once you start pushing it up there, it is extremely hard to shift, and it's almost sometimes like a total lockout and sometimes I feel like if I push the shifter any harder into gear I might break it. So I guess my questions are, how prevalent is this issue? And, what do most do to fix it? I have a full coverage ESP, is this something worth taking in for warranty work? Or is it something as simple as the previous owner burning out the current clutch? Would the transmission cooler off of the LS help? Any clarification or feedback is welcome!

Bottom line: MT-82 is not the problem, the clutch is. Others can give a better explanation as to why it has a problem, but the fix is to replace the clutch. A popular choice is the MacLeod RST along with a lightened steel flywheel.

Until Ford admits there's a problem (which they haven't), there's slim chance they will do anything under warrantee.

High RPM lockout is the clutch not fully disengaging. You can get it out of gear but not back into gear. You should take it to your dealer and complain about it. Ford has on occasion paid for the labor to install an aftermarket clutch but they won't do that unless you complain about it first.

Yes it is the clutch.After replacing 2 clutches, in went the twin disc RST Mcleaod.Along with the Whiteline trans mount insert, CHE crossmember, MGW shifter, plus braided hi perf clutch line, mine shifts superb.I didfinally get an upgraded Ford trans(3rd, warantee)The clutch does it, I just went overkill.

I'm ashamed that Ford will not even consider that the clutch in the Boss is the problem behind all lockouts and more than likely most of the destroyed MT-82. I would bet that if Ford offered to replace your clutch because you have the lockout problem. And offered the owner to supply the clutch at the owners cost and labor on ford. I would say 9 out of 10 people would accept that choice. And on top of that they would end up saving a ton of money on clutches. I would even sign off on its a one time offer. If they offered this to the Boss owners due to the high revving engines they would only be looking at 8000 units max. That's if every one complained. Bottom line is, if you only DD your Boss you will be fine. taking this and the wrecked cars into consideration you may only be looking at 6500 Bosses. I have no proof except for my thoughts.'

And life goes on....Bad clutch and all.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
I don't track my car but do run into this problem at times when doing some spirited driving on the road. I can't justify to myself the cost of replacing the clutch based on this. What torques my jaw is when I watch the Boss 302 video that came in the owners kit and all these engineers and professional drivers, including the man himself, PJ, tracked he Boss and never had this problem? IMO Ford screwed us over on this.

This has me wondering if the issue is limited to Bosses. I have a 2014 GT and not noticed this issue. On the Boss, at what RPM does the issue appear/disappear? If you shift at the GT's redline, does the lockout occur? If the issue doesn't happen on the 2014 cars, but happens on earlier GTs, then that has me wondering if Ford silently changed the design of the clutch to eliminate the issue.

I realize anecdotal evidence isn't much to go on, but it's all I've got. And note that, from what I've read, the MT-82 doesn't have the best reputation on the GT, either, though I suspect the issues there might not include this one (frankly, I just can't remember).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can so relate to this post. I have a Boss with 26K miles, stock, never tracked, and am having a 2nd transmission replacement. Despite my requests, they are ignoring the clutch.

My wallet is the one that say BMF on it....

Seriously, anyone running the hypersingle? I would love to know what your impression is...

For those that went with the McLeod RST are you happy with the choice. I've talked to two local Mustang Shops and both recommend the RXT. My motor is all stock and will stay that way, but both shops said the RXT over the RST. I even called McLeod and spoke with technical sales and he too said RXT for my car.

I told all of them, I'm looking for a very soft pedal as my left knee has been racked with multiple surgeries and 2 ACLs.

I know the RST is rated to ~700hp and the RXT to ~1000 and the main difference being the RXT is Ceramic pucks while the RST is Organic full disk.

I'm on the fence with both of these.

Thanks in advance . . .

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
You're going to have some chatter with these twin disks clutches. The RXT is a good straightline clutch and the RST a good road course and street version. I recently changed out mine with a SPEC 2+ and can tell you that the pedal is stiffer and in traffic, it can be a bit tough on the left leg. Getting pretty use to it now.

VooDooBOSS said:
Why do they recommend the RXT over the RST? McLeod recommended the RXT for me but they knew my car would get some track time. With no track time planned the RST should be fine and be easier to launch driving on the street. BTW those selling the RXT it's a $200+ more dollars so they make more. ;)

I actually was just talking to McCleoud about this. The RXT design better tolerates the high rpm capabilities of the Boss. It's specific to how the organic material vs ceramic material is bonded/secured to the clutch discs, not the pressure plate design .They went as far as to tell me not to run the RST.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel