The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT-82 Redline Lockouts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I purchased a reservoir from a Forum Member here, PN: 9R3Z-2K478-B

Yes I agree, the rubber plug has no pressure behind it, but it's nice to not have it as a possible source of a future leak due to deteriation.

On my next brake system service, and I'll replace my DIY clutch reservoir for the new Shelby kit.

302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Be sure to pack the area under the reservoir with plenty of absorbent rags. There will be more fluid left behind than you may have planned for. OK, than what I planned for. :-\ I had to douse down the area with water when the fluid got away from me.

Easy swap if you have the right socket/wrench for the one screw which retains the reservoir. It is a female torx socket.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
TMSBOSS said:
Be sure to pack the area under the reservoir with plenty of absorbent rags. There will be more fluid left behind than you may have planned for. OK, than what I planned for. :-\ I had to douse down the area with water when the fluid got away from me.

Easy swap if you have the right socket/wrench for the one screw which retains the reservoir. It is a female torx socket.

Didn't have too much fluid come out when I put in the SHEL031 kit. Did stuff an absorbent mat under there but I got the hose plugged pretty quickly. This kit came with a internal plug, external cap and I tied it off with two black cable ties. It ain't going anywhere.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
302 Hi Pro said:
Now here's a job for that Flex Seal you have out on the shelf in the garage!

Oh yea. . .

2HP

I used all mine on my screen bottom boat which now resides at the bottom of the lake! ::)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
Didn't have too much fluid come out when I put in the SHEL031 kit. Did stuff an absorbent mat under there but I got the hose plugged pretty quickly. This kit came with a internal plug, external cap and I tied it off with two black cable ties. It ain't going anywhere.

I swapped the manual reservoir for a auto without the fitting. A bit messy. Oh Well.

with todays paint. Dose brake fluid still have the same affect.
I only ask because I was told by a body shop that the paint is very tuff. Lacquer thinner will not hurt our paint.

If brake fluid stays in contact with the paint long enough (e.g. a small puddle) then it will eat it all the way through the primer. My paint started bubbling under the reservoir after a couple of months of ownership. The brake fluid was over filled from factory.

I have never had that problem as of yet but I do not like the skip shift,that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on a high performance car.I have learned to put pressure on the shifter,pulling it towards me when I'm taking off easy!I know some people unplug the connection but I haven't yet,I learned to live with it.I have run it to 7500 RPMs a quite a few times,but I don't power shift it like I used to my 70 Mach 1,with a 4 speed,this tyranny would never take that kind of punishment.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F.D. Sako said:
If brake fluid stays in contact with the paint long enough (e.g. a small puddle) then it will eat it all the way through the primer. My paint started bubbling under the reservoir after a couple of months of ownership. The brake fluid was over filled from factory.

I remember several Boss owners having this same problem including myself! I still have 2 small droplet size spots that are now white, (Primer) showing. I siphoned out brake fluid from the MC and only fill it to mid-way now during brake fluid services. Some installed sweat bands around the MC cap!

There was one member on the Boss302Forum that had a mess from leaks due to over fill and fluid expansion. He had Ford repaint that area which required removal of the left front fender, all component parts mounted to the left side firewall. Then the Body Shop cleaned, sanded, prepped and resprayed that area. Then back to the mechanical shop for reassembly.

I'll touch up those spots one of these days.

302 Hi Pro

That happened to me too!

The dealer body shop did a great job on mine, not sure how much they removed to repaint it, but it's not noticeable at all. I also have a wrist band on it now, and the MC is always only half filled.

IMAG0138.jpg

Yes it is the clutch.After replacing 2 clutches, in went the twin disc RST Mcleaod.Along with the Whiteline trans mount insert, CHE crossmember, MGW shifter, plus braided hi perf clutch line, mine shifts superb.I didfinally get an upgraded Ford trans(3rd, warantee)The clutch does it, I just went overkill.
I also installed a McLeod RST after 2 stock clutches failed at VIR on my 2015 GT. I am still seeing the high RPM lockout but only coming out of Oak Tree in 3rd gear. Can't shift into 4th and can only get 5th. The McLeod definitely helped but did not totally eliminate the problem.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I also installed a McLeod RST after 2 stock clutches failed at VIR on my 2015 GT. I am still seeing the high RPM lockout but only coming out of Oak Tree in 3rd gear. Can't shift into 4th and can only get 5th. The McLeod definitely helped but did not totally eliminate the problem.
That sounds like you've got trans problems. Beat syncros will do that and other internal wear will contribute as well.
When my car did that a new exedy clutch helped for a while, but it continued and got a lot worse. Rebuild showed all kinds of damage from the stock clutch antics, syncros and all the shifting parts were beat. Replaced with Syncrotech carbon kit, made a huge difference.
But it's still just an MT82 with all that entails. The only good thing about the early MT82 is the gear ratios, they are better than the Tremec and the D4, at least for the tracks I run.

TMO Supporting Vendors