The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newest mod - trailer hitch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any idea if this hitch will fit a 2013 or if they have one that will? I'm wondering about the bumper/fascia design...is it the same from 2012 to 2013? Did you have any interference on your car? The following statement is made on the Hidden Hitch site...

"HB Slight fascia deformation may occur on some models."

Justin said:
wrap the wires in black electrical tape that will help it not stand out so much.

That's a good idea. I'm going to do it tomorrow.

I got the hitch from etrailer.com. I beleive the 12's and 13's are the same. If I remember correctly, the hitch was $145 and the direct plug in harness was $45.

GottaBoss said:
Any idea if this hitch will fit a 2013 or if they have one that will? I'm wondering about the bumper/fascia design...is it the same from 2012 to 2013? Did you have any interference on your car? The following statement is made on the Hidden Hitch site...

"HB Slight fascia deformation may occur on some models."

I had no issues with interference or fascia deformation. It was a pain to get the bolts through the frame (no drilling needed) but once I did that and got it lined up, it bolted up nicely.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
It's not that noticeable from the back. A bit more so from the sides but it's hard to make out what it is if you didn't know. The only people who would notice would be those who saw your car parked and I'm not even sure if they would.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Did you remove licence plates so nobody can see them?.
If you did, I m just wondering why people do that, especially when we have topics here" Lets see your custom plates! "
Kona Blue looks great. you have the fastest color with a hitch. ;D

KBBOSS1086 said:

Way to go, that looks great. Mine looks exactly the same. Except, my wires are contained in a flexible corrugated plastic housing that is really inconspicuous.

KBBOSS1086 said:
It was a pain to get the bolts through the frame . . .

Haha, that's a bit of an understatement. It's a bit of a fishing expedition getting the nuts and bolts to marry though the frame. A local place can do the install if you wish.

I've been trailering for a while, and it is well worth the effort and cost. Wheels and tires make such a difference. With a larger trailer, you can even take an extra set of tires, and load all your tools.

TMSBOSS said:
That looks like a class 1 hitch. Correct?

Yes - you are correct.

unrealford said:
Did you remove licence plates so nobody can see them?.
If you did, I m just wondering why people do that, especially when we have topics here" Lets see your custom plates! "
Kona Blue looks great. you have the fastest color with a hitch. ;D

I'm a little paranoid about putting personal info on the net, so yes, that's why I removed the plate.
I can't argue with you about the color statement. ;D

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
so, I got a hitch and utility trailer after my truck died out of necessity. I couldn't believe I was so sacrilegious!...a hitch on a mustang? WHAT?! well, its become the best mod so far. the car works well with a utility trailer and my car now has some utility to go with the sport!

well, almost the best mod...even though all you see is the receiver, I still just cant stand the look. its like a tumor! so, I did something about it. I designed a receiver that detaches from the crossbar. and, I found the perfect mount for a rear tow hook too! check it out...

now you see it:
20130528104955.jpg

now you don't:
20130528104816.jpg

now it has a tow hook:
20130528141025.jpg

and I have been testing it over the last couple of weeks. I towed 1000lbs on my utility trailer around the DC beltway yesterday. I'd say that is a good enough torture test!

Very nice, Steve! Can my current hitch bar be modified to accept your receiver hitch and tow hook or would i need to replace everything. I love what you've done but the thought of removing the one I've got on (getting the bolts out of the frame) and aligning an entirely new bar is not something I'd look forward to.

pufferfish said:
so, I got a hitch and utility trailer after my truck died out of necessity. I couldn't believe I was so sacrilegious!...a hitch on a mustang? WHAT?! well, its become the best mod so far. the car works well with a utility trailer and my car now has some utility to go with the sport!

well, almost the best mod...even though all you see is the receiver, I still just cant stand the look. its like a tumor! so, I did something about it. I designed a receiver that detaches from the crossbar. and, I found the perfect mount for a rear tow hook too! check it out...

Any plans for a production version? ;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
There is no way to modify a receiver while on the car. But I was able to fairly easily remove my curt hitch and put this one on. I do plan to productionize these. I was hoping to have them ready for Carlisle next week, but timing hasn't worked out. I have material to make 9 more right now. It's labor intensive, so I am planning to use the first run to develop fixtures. I also need to solve a safety issue before releasing them. If the receiver falls off from not being secured properly, the trailer is gone. Need to figure out how to safety tie the receiver to the crossbar. I expect to have it all worked out the week after next.

Wow. How have I missed this thread? This is awesome. I have had the same thoughts, considerations, and concerns as others in this thread. But, I'm also a track junkie on a budget, so there is no way to not think about a hitch.

Let me start with the "no towing" admonition. How is a car with the power/torque of the Boss AND a truck-suspension unable to do light-duty towing? ::) This is an American thing. Ford doesn't want to deal with stupid people that don't have any common sense AND they wouldn't mind selling you a truck. Let's see, Ford makes cars in Australia, I wonder what they think of the capabilities of a unibody coupe with less power and torque than the Boss. Here is a Ford press photo:

Ford-FG_Falcon_Ute_XR8_2008_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg

Oh.

If Miatas can tow their tires and tools to the track, I'm pretty sure a Boss will be just fine.

Puffer beat me to it, but the first thing I thought after the first post was "and now you have a tow hook mount." That cuts into his sales, but good on him for adapting. ;)

I don't like the idea of adding weight to the car, but it does add it in the right place, improves balance, maybe improves chassis stiffness, and if you are towing race tires, there should be a net improvement in your lap times. ;)

No, they don't look the best, but it looks like there are solutions being developed for that. Great job, guys. I have been mulling this over, but now I'm feeling more encouraged about the idea. Well done! Now, who is going to be the first one to paint the trailer the same as the car?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
By the way, the red tow hook piece can be inserted into any class 2 (1.5" sq) receiver. They will go up on the site next week.

pufferfish said:
There is no way to modify a receiver while on the car. But I was able to fairly easily remove my curt hitch and put this one on. I do plan to productionize these. I was hoping to have them ready for Carlisle next week, but timing hasn't worked out. I have material to make 9 more right now. It's labor intensive, so I am planning to use the first run to develop fixtures. I also need to solve a safety issue before releasing them. If the receiver falls off from not being secured properly, the trailer is gone. Need to figure out how to safety tie the receiver to the crossbar. I expect to have it all worked out the week after next.

Would appreciate you posting here when you get it ready to go.

Unlike others who want tow, I'd just like to attach my 1UpUSA bike rack so I can take my bikes to the trails. It would be nice to be able to remove the receiver when not needed for appearance's sake. Here's my 2-bike rack...

http://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html

pufferfish said:

Awesome Steve! That's exactly what I was thinking when i saw this hitch.... if somebody could come up with a removable receiver AND a way to incorporate a tow loop for the track, this mod would be perfect. Can't wait to see your ultimate solution.

TMO Supporting Vendors