The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No rear sway bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ordered this bar from the link and I didn't get a 18mm RSB, I got a 20mm RSB. If someone wants a 20mm bar I will trade for an 18mm bar. It costs about half the price to send it back.

bulldogracer said:
I ordered this bar from the link and I didn't get a 18mm RSB, I got a 20mm RSB. If someone wants a 20mm bar I will trade for an 18mm bar. It costs about half the price to send it back.

Are you on stock susption? If so, 20mm will still perform well with less understeer compared to the 18mm. I say try it out, and see if you like it. If you're still getting a little oversteer, set your rear shocks to 4, instead of 5.

bulldogracer said:

O' No ???

I hope my luck is better with the one I ordered. I'll live with a 20mm if need be but would certainly rather have the 18mm

F.D.Sako
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not on the stock suspension. I have the Motion Control coilovers with 550 front & 250 rear springs with Ford Racing sway bars which is a 22mm rear. The 20mm seems so close I may not even notice a difference so that is why I want to try the 18mm. Not willing to spend $395 to try the Watson Racing 12mm yet.

Welp, just got mine in the mail today and I'll be damned if it isn't a 20mm bar like reported by a few others!

I'll throw it on anyway and report back how it goes. I suspect that I'll end up needing to go full stiff on the front bar to balance it out but won't do so until I see what the 20mm bar does on its own first.

At the end of the day this will be a good test anyway because it will tell me if its worth the money to get the Cortex RSB or not which has three adjustments starting at the Boss 302S RSB rate on its lowest setting and going up from there.

I suspect this 20mm bar is already more then the 302S bar so if its too much for my liking then I know the Watson Racing unit should be more my speed.

I spoke with the supplier for the amazon.com 20mm bar a few days ago, Newtakeoff.com. I asked him if he had any 18mm rear sway bars and I gave him the part number 6R33 5A771 BB. He called me back and said he had a few so I purchased the bar from him. Received it today and sure enough it was 18mm. I informed him that there might be others interested in an 18mm bar. He said he would post up the 18's he had for sale in a few days.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I plan on bringing 3 rear bars to The Glen this coming weekend, 18mm (on the car), 25mm Brembo, 27mm Boss LS and try them out to see what lap times are in them.
Has any one else done back to back trials with adjustable or swapping bars? Definitely not swapping front bars.
Should be fun.
Steve

steveespo said:
I plan on bringing 3 rear bars to The Glen this coming weekend, 18mm (on the car), 25mm Brembo, 27mm Boss LS and try them out to see what lap times are in them.
Has any one else done back to back trials with adjustable or swapping bars? Definitely not swapping front bars.
Should be fun.
Steve
In for the results. Which springs and dampers are you using?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
No spring change, Cortex coil overs going to be going in next winter along with the cage. Street car insurance and registration comes off when we get back from Watkins Glen.
This is like a Black Hole...........nothing escapes it's gravity.

WHat are you going to do about insurance coverage when trailering? This is the ONLY reason my car is still registered and has insurance. As far as I know I can't get insurance just for trailering.

-Pete

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PeteInCT said:
WHat are you going to do about insurance coverage when trailering? This is the ONLY reason my car is still registered and has insurance. As far as I know I can't get insurance just for trailering.

-Pete

Pete
Hagerty, Heacock, and Naughton provide stated value coverage for track/race cars. Coverage is for transporting, fire and theft while at events and in storage. No on track or on road coverage. You can also buy on track coverage from Lockton and a few other companies.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
steveespo said:
Pete
Hagerty, Heacock, and Naughton provide stated value coverage for track/race cars. Coverage is for transporting, fire and theft while at events and in storage. No on track or on road coverage. You can also buy on track coverage from Lockton and a few other companies.
Steve

Thanks, didn't realize they had non-track coverage. On-track is just too pricey.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
No spring change, Cortex coil overs going to be going in next winter along with the cage. Street car insurance and registration comes off when we get back from Watkins Glen.
This is like a Black Hole...........nothing escapes it's gravity.

:)

Hello,

I'm posting a follow up after installing the 20MM Rear Swaybar - 6R3Z-5A772-A purchased from Amazon dealer Newtakeoff.

In a previous post I mentioned that I have been running my car without a RSB for about 2 months. There were many things about the cars handling characteristics that I liked without a RSB installed. Then on the other hand, there were a few driving situations where I felt having a RSB would have been of benefit.

My driving impressions so far with the 20mm bar installed are only based on canyon carving/back roads (in Mexico of course :p ) so take this for what its worth.

The first thing I noticed was that I didn't need as much steering input when entering turns because the car seemed to rotate much quicker then before. On the first few turns I found myself inputing to much with the steering wheel which would cause the back end to briefly slide a bit before settling so I had to make corrections in my driving style to account for the car reacting more quickly at turn in then I was accustom to. After I sorted out the steering input differences required between the two configurations I became more comfortable with the new behavior.

The next thing I noticed which was a win in the corner of having a RSB was that the car indeed felt a bit more planted out back while on uneven road surfaces were before the body of the car seemed to move around and follow road irregularities and elevation changes more. When approaching steep inclines in the road that quickly drop off or transition into off camber turns on the other side of the hill the body of the car out back didn't feel like it was floating in the air as long or as much while the shocks/springs were fully extended.

Lastly and also another win in the corner of having a RSB was that it seemed to eliminate that brief moment I used to have to wait for while the back end of the car settled before I could get back on the throttle again. Prior to the RSB being installed I would always need to wait a bit longer then normal for that settling to occur when reaching the Mid point in a turn that doesn't necessarily require any breaking points to complete.

In summary, I think the 20mm bar has now added a tad to much oversteer and turn in speed for my liking but otherwise it seems to be a move in the right direction because it seems to have cured the few gripes I had about the handling characteristics when running without a RSB. I have already made the next move in this adventure by purchasing an 18mm bar from Newtakeoff and based on my experience thus far I'm confident that it will be just the right combo that I've been looking for.

For those interested, below are a few pictures of the 20mm bar fitment on my car with the Cortex XTreme Grip package. There were a few brief moments were I didn't think the bar was going to fit at all due to some pretty close fitment tolerances between the Axle Relo Brackets and Cortex Cross Brace but in the end all seems to be OK despite this and I haven't found any signs of rubbing thus far.

Thanks

14856128076_05e0454a69_b.jpg

14879027235_3c3770958d_b.jpg

14878665282_db1f6d948c_b.jpg

14875938771_5981c81136_b.jpg

14875963421_93a3b4555c_b.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel