The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

LS Boss said:
Ahhhh yes, the SAGA continues...the ole CEL P010 s STILL not resolved (not previous post)...back to Ford again...grrrr
I have had my engine wiring harness replaced twice now for this issue. P0020 & P0022 last year at RA (Bank 2) and now again this spring at BIR P0010 & P0012 (Bank 1) Is Ford just having them replace the connectors? I had a broken pin in one connector before that and they repaired it, but these last two times they replaced the entire engine wiring harness.

In addition since mine's an early build the engine wiring harness part # is different for cars built from Jan-Feb 2011 covering only a 3 week production run. The 2012s after that get an updated part # and then again for the 2013 cars. When was your car built?

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"

Mine was actually built later...its serial #570...I got the car around October '11 after nealy 4 weeks transit from Detroit...I read your post before and thought that I should have had the later version...but perhaps not. Yes, not sure about this last weekend's fault yet but previous ones had the contacts broken down inside the connector...with the way it was strain relieved, I really can't see how its breaking unless the contact material is just to fragile and can't handle the heat and vibrations maybe. Ford regional is supposed to call me after this last weekend and see the progress. I will post on any possible resolution.

I am not sure what good it would do to replace the entire harness, it seems the issue is isolated at the actual sensor breaking internal connector contacts (its just a simple wire / connector resplice tape up and plug in. All of my previous faults now are narrowed down to ONLY the P 010 sensor code, and each time they have foulnd the connector internal contacts broken, with nothing apparent wrong on the outside. I no longer get the other side P 012, 020-022 after it was similarly "fixed".

We will see what the Regional Customer complaint person says as we progress.

Re: P0300 & Limp Mode Questionaire

I've had the CEL come on at some point at 3 of my 4 track days; one of those was pre-TracKey. Always toward the end of the day, in the third or fourth 30-minute session, and never correlated with anything particularly abusive. Only saw limp mode one time; this was at Buttonwillow, where the track surface is pretty deteriorated, so maybe there is something to the thread I saw which postulated driveline vibrations are causing misfires to be falsely detected. The CEL usually clears by the time I have an opportunity to bring the car to the dealer, and I don't have a code reader.

But the last time was at Laguna Seca last week, and the light was still on when I got home so I made an appointment. The dealer read P0300 and P0304, couldn't reproduce any misfires, and "adjusted CKP sensor" and "performed misfire sensor relearn" after consulting with the hotline, according to the tech's notes. Too early to tell whether it was any help.

jim woodruff said:
well have the car back today. All new parts as stated and new re-learn. Will be taking thr car to a rough track on the 10th 11th and 12th. Lets see how it goes. I also have a transmission rebuild. Sure I have have had some problems but Ford has handled it with style. lets hope it all works. thanks, jim

Well I ran the car three days on a rough track and pushed the car. No codes at all. Ithink we may have solved the problems. next track will be mid-ohio or pitts.int. The rebuilt gear box was great no problems here just a little whine.
Thanks, Ford

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"

Got a call from the dealer indicating that a "new service bulletin" just came out thataddressed the contacts issue....we will see...going to Laguna this thursday...will give it a bit of a test there.

LS Boss said:
Got a call from the dealer indicating that a "new service bulletin" just came out thataddressed the contacts issue....we will see...going to Laguna this thursday...will give it a bit of a test there.
Can you elaborate on the service bulletin or get a copy of it from your dealer and post it? When you say contacts are you referring to the sensor connectors?

Re: P0300 & Limp Mode Questionaire

PeteInCT said:
Are you and I the only ones with this issue ? ???

I had it at Track Attack with one of the School Boss Mustangs (i've had it in my personal car, but never tracked it). When i brought it into the pits, the instructors checked to see if the check engine light was flashing or solid (it was solid by the time i got into the pits) and they said, "Don't worry about it, go back out there and finish this session." If i hadn't had it happen on my personal car, i wouldn't have known what had happened.

took my car to Road Atlanta today.. Drove two sessions and the CEL came on at the end of the second session... Drove the third session, and halfway through on one of the long straight aways the CEL came on and started flashing, and immediately cut power.. I had to 'limp' around the track with cars flying by me...

I didn't know what was going on, so i did not go back out on the track.. Instead, i looked up a local Autozone and took it to have the code Read.. the wonderful P0300 code was thrown for misfires..

I have already paid for the entire weekend at Road Atlanta, and am contemplating whether or not to drive back down there tomorrow and run it in the first few morning sessions to see what happens.. It's an hr drive, and i've already paid the money..Seem like this CEL/Misfire is happening a LOT!! It's pretty ridiculous for us to buy a $45K vehicle MADE FOR THE TRACK and have issues with the computer.. and it seems like we (as BMO's) are having WAY TOO MANY issues with this.

I set up an appointment with my Ford Dealership for Monday morning to take the car in.. I am curious what they are going to do and how long they will have my car... I'm tempted to just haul it back down to Road Atlanta and run it anyways until it limps again! But at the same time, i don't want to waste 2 hours driving/hauling the car only to have a crappy first session!!

What do you guys think??

SC BOSS said:
also, which scanner/programmer are you guys using to 'clear the codes' at the track??

Thanks,
Luke
I would go back and run. It won't hurt anything but hopefully you won't go into limp mode. Usually you'll just throw the codes and maybe get a CEL. It has to recur several times before it throws you into limp mode. I use an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge mounted in my A/C pod to scan/clear DTCs and also have an SCT X3 handheld programmer that I can use to pull and clear codes. You might be able to rent the one from Autozone for the day so you can scan/clear them at the track.

I agree. Also, at least in my case, limp mode only lasts a minute. I usually just pull into hot pit lane and sit there until it goes away. That helps manage our overheating problem, too. ;)

For the record, this happens to the pros, too. One of the Capaldi WC cars had the same thing happen to them while they were here in Austin and I watched them bang their heads in frustration, just like us. They never did solve it, at least while they were here. I should reach-out and ask if they ever found anything. They were surprised when I told them about this thread and how many people suffered from this.

Alright,

I just finished up a 2 day event at Road Atlanta with MVP. I took my 2013 BOss 302 and my dad took his 2013 LS. I drove my first two 30 min sessions with the CEL ON but not flashing. However, when i drove my third session on saturday, downshifting into turn 7, and hopping back on the throttle for the long straight away, my CEL started flashing and the computer went into limp mode and cut power to the engine.. This freaked me out, so i immediately brought it into the pits. It was only 83 degrees outside, and all of my other gauges were fine..

I let the car cool off and drove it to an autozone in Winder, GA (bout 15 min from track).. I received the wonderful P0300 Code with Misfires detected on 3 cylinders..

At the same time, my father's LS had his CEL come on during the same session. He said his never flashed though.. So we loaded up the cars and hauled them home thinking our weekend was done.. After doing some research on BMO, i saw that this happens quite often, and we decided to go back to road atlanta for our second day and just run them and see what happened.

Day 2, I figured out that as long as i only ran the engine up to about 6,000 rpm, the car would stay out of limp mode, the CEL would stay ON, but not flash. However, 3 of my 6 sessions that day, the CEL would come on and flash and cut power tot he engine for about 30 seconds, then the CEL would stop flashing and i would have the power back.. This happend once on the back straight just as i passed a Porshce 911.. i went around him, power cut back.. and he was pissed.. however, once the power came back, i lost him in turns 10a and 10b, and left him..

It really sucks that i had to go around the track short shifting and only reving the engine up to 6,000 rpms all day, but i did still have fun. However, this should not be happening on a purpose-built TRACK car!!

I've got an appointment to take my car into the dealership here in SC tomorrow morning.. Hoping they can do the 'misfire profile relearn' and replace the Crankshaft timing sensor.. and it'll be solved..

However, looking at some of you guys posts.. this prob won't solve the issue! I'm supposed to be going to Barber Motor Speedway for another 2 day even in the middle of july.. so i HOPE i can get it fixed by then!!

Georgia

SC BOSS said:
Day 2, I figured out that as long as i only ran the engine up to about 6,000 rpm, the car would stay out of limp mode, the CEL would stay ON, but not flash. However, 3 of my 6 sessions that day, the CEL would come on and flash and cut power tot he engine for about 30 seconds, then the CEL would stop flashing and i would have the power back..

It really sucks that i had to go around the track short shifting and only reving the engine up to 6,000 rpms all day, but i did still have fun. However, this should not be happening on a purpose-built TRACK car!!

That is similar to what I found at CMP earlier this month. When I shifted at lower revs, I would not see the CEL come on (see earler post on this).

SC BOSS said:
Alright,

I just finished up a 2 day event at Road Atlanta with MVP. I took my 2013 BOss 302 and my dad took his 2013 LS. I drove my first two 30 min sessions with the CEL ON but not flashing. However, when i drove my third session on saturday, downshifting into turn 7, and hopping back on the throttle for the long straight away, my CEL started flashing and the computer went into limp mode and cut power to the engine.. This freaked me out, so i immediately brought it into the pits. It was only 83 degrees outside, and all of my other gauges were fine..

I let the car cool off and drove it to an autozone in Winder, GA (bout 15 min from track).. I received the wonderful P0300 Code with Misfires detected on 3 cylinders..

At the same time, my father's LS had his CEL come on during the same session. He said his never flashed though.. So we loaded up the cars and hauled them home thinking our weekend was done.. After doing some research on BMO, i saw that this happens quite often, and we decided to go back to road atlanta for our second day and just run them and see what happened.

Day 2, I figured out that as long as i only ran the engine up to about 6,000 rpm, the car would stay out of limp mode, the CEL would stay ON, but not flash. However, 3 of my 6 sessions that day, the CEL would come on and flash and cut power tot he engine for about 30 seconds, then the CEL would stop flashing and i would have the power back.. This happend once on the back straight just as i passed a Porshce 911.. i went around him, power cut back.. and he was pissed.. however, once the power came back, i lost him in turns 10a and 10b, and left him..

I've got an appointment to take my car into the dealership here in SC tomorrow morning.. Hoping they can do the 'misfire profile relearn' and replace the Crankshaft timing sensor.. and it'll be solved..

However, looking at some of you guys posts.. this prob won't solve the issue! I'm supposed to be going to Barber Motor Speedway for another 2 day even in the middle of july.. so i HOPE i can get it fixed by then!!
It sounds like maybe there's a new TSB for this. Please let us know if there is and post up the details. This issue is beyond "getting old".

cloud9 said:
It sounds like maybe there's a new TSB for this. Please let us know if there is and post up the details. This issue is beyond "getting old".

when you track yours, are you having these same issues? And do you just delete the CEL and TDC's as soon as they pop up with your aeroforce gauge while you're driving on the track?? I'm curious how you guys are getting around this for track events!?!

SC BOSS said:
when you track yours, are you having these same issues? And do you just delete the CEL and TDC's as soon as they pop up with your aeroforce gauge while you're driving on the track?? I'm curious how you guys are getting around this for track events!?!

Same as you. CEL doesn't do anything to the car, so it's a non-issue. If the car goes into limp mode, I pull into hot pits and let it pass, which usually takes a minute or less. I could stay on the track, but I don't want to be a nuisance to the Mazda 2s trying to get around me and it keeps me from doing something stupid like driving off the track while I'm screaming at the car.

The CEL usually goes away the next day and leaves no codes behind.

Georgia

SC BOSS said:

I just clear them in between sessions and keep on going. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel