The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

jim woodruff said:
I recieved a call from the Tech about my car. They are going to reprogram the non track key side of the ecu after they install a new crank shaft sensor. they said if that does not solve the problem they will drop the trans. and put in a new tone ring assy. I fell much better that there is a plan in place that I can live with. The dealer tech is very helpfull and not full of BS. I will be taking the car back to the track the first week end in May and give you an update.
Anxious to hear your update. My first track day isn't until the first week of May and I fully expect to throw some codes. It would be nice to know if a new CPS fixes it or whether I just need to put in the new competition pulse ring at the same time.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!

Thought I better provide my experience here:

Back in Sept. of 2012 I threw the following codes on Laguna: P0300, P0301 and P2626. The first two are misfires and the 3rd is O2 P2626 O2 Sensor Pumping Current Trim Circuit/Open.

The misfires and codes were cleared and bank 1 coil packs and plugs were replaced. Code came back and when taken to my dealer in Seattle, they found that when the transmission was replaced the O2 sensor wires were pinched. They fixed and no problem until now.

Car threw a P0420 code and the dealer first cleared it and said drive it and see if it comes back. Well it did, so back in it went. Just called and advised the cat, just one is bad. Think this might have been degraded by the misfires. But that was in Sept. and it's April!

Haven't had the car on track to test the lock out that the clutch & transmission are to fix and don't know if the bloody thing will misfire with the red key being used on track. I use the silver key with daily driving. Frankly, i getting a little paranoid. Scheduled to hit the track on May 3, but I'm taking the P-car since she just got new headers and a updated flash. Almost thinking about changing & taking the Boss.

This whole series of issues is really starting to bug me. The clutch/tranny issue is a "SAFETY" concern as many have pointed out. The misfire also present "SAFETY" issue, as many have also pointed out. The O2 codes are a PITA and could prove expensive after warranty coverage expires.

How do we elevate these issues? Ford needs to address this across the board not just on a individual owner basis. The responses from dealers have been inconsistent. I've been fortunate but some haven't been that lucky!

Thoughts?

Boomerstoys said:
How do we elevate these issues? Ford needs to address this across the board not just on a individual owner basis. The responses from dealers have been inconsistent. I've been fortunate but some haven't been that lucky!

Thoughts?
I know for certain that Ford knows about the issues and is working on them. But we should have had a solution on this by now. It's been two years since Gary's first track day when he threw a CEL. An update was released for the 2013 cars and the 2012's were not supposed to be far behind. But that was four months ago. Anyone with issues needs to complain loudly to their dealers and feel free to point them to this thread. That's why it's a sticky. ;)

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

The question is do we keep these cars post warranty. I have not processed that yet. I want the car but like a bad girl friend who is hot when is enuff, enuff. As I type this my car sits in the dealer torn apart. Its a brand new car!....... but she came over , I lost all my nerve ,I took her back and made her dessert.......

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I just bought a new crank position sensor from Tousley, I'm going to throw it in there when I'm installing the new clutch to the car next month.

ArizonaGT said:
I just bought a new crank position sensor from Tousley, I'm going to throw it in there when I'm installing the new clutch to the car next month.
Do we know if it's a revised part #? i.e. different than the one they put in your car originally?

cloud9 said:
Do we know if it's a revised part #? i.e. different than the one they put in your car originally?
I don't know but I received mine today and besides looking like a used part from a sealed FR envelope the part number does not match what's on the envelope. Does anyone know if this is the correct part #? The FR part # is M-12A227-CJ13. The number stamped on the CPR is BR3E-12A227-AC.

IMG_2378_zpsb5c11619.jpg
IMG_2377_zpsf70c4ced.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Gary:

I don't know, to be honest. But it was $20, and I'll be in there anyways...so it's worth a shot. It was the only one listed for a 2012 BOSS. I also got a spare Cam Position Sensor for both Intake and Exhaust.

Rick:

I'm talking about the position sensor itself, not the pulse ring.
BUT--my CJ pulse ring looks the same as yours with the same PN. The important part is that the large gap valley surface is raised up 1mm more than the other valleys.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/photo_14.html

zzyzx

Steve

Rick:

Mine looks "crappy", but yours takes the cake. Mine had the gray finish over the entire part, whereas yours seems to have it missing on the entire backside. I'd agree it looks used. I looked through my photos and somehow I didn't take a picture of mine - could have sworn I did at the time.

zzyzx said:
Rick:

Mine looks "crappy", but yours takes the cake. Mine had the gray finish over the entire part, whereas yours seems to have it missing on the entire backside. I'd agree it looks used. I looked through my photos and somehow I didn't take a picture of mine - could have sworn I did at the time.
And yours had a different part number on it too?

zzyzx

Steve

NFSBOSS said:
And yours had a different part number on it too?

That's why I was looking for photos... unfortunately I don't know if it had a different part number.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Guys:

The general appearance of the part is irrelevant. It is meant to be never seen by a customer when installed so it is likely not further processed other than the finishing of the pulse teeth themselves. Don't sweat this--we are not receiving used parts from FRPP.

Ugh new code. It finally got nice enough to get the Boss out today. Drove it this morning no issues. Went out this afternoon and got a CEL. I pulled the code and it was a P0352 IGNITION SIGNAL COIL B FAULT. It didn't stumble or run rough just threw the CEL and the DTC. I whipped it into the dealer to check it out since I'm planning to load it for BIR on Sunday and if I had a bad coil wanted to get it ordered and replaced in time. The tech tested the coil on cyl #2 and it checked out fine. They cleared the code and emailed Ford to see if they had any further instruction. I drove back to office and no code....yet but we'll see. Has anyone seen this one before? This is a new one for me but looks like it can be related to "misfires".

jim woodruff said:
I recieved a call from the Tech about my car. They are going to reprogram the non track key side of the ecu after they install a new crank shaft sensor. they said if that does not solve the problem they will drop the trans. and put in a new tone ring assy. I fell much better that there is a plan in place that I can live with. The dealer tech is very helpfull and not full of BS. I will be taking the car back to the track the first week end in May and give you an update.

Well It did not work thru codes at Mid-Ohio and at The Glen,Going back to the dealer today. This needs to get resolved by Ford

jim woodruff said:
Well It did not work thru codes at Mid-Ohio and at The Glen,Going back to the dealer today. This needs to get resolved by Ford
Jim what codes? Misfire P030x? Are they going to install the FRPP competition pulse ring?

zzyzx

Steve

jim woodruff said:

Jim - Just to be clear, they installed a new crank sensor per your previous post, correct?

There have been a few people with bad cam senors, also. And FYI there's a TSB for updated S/W in the PCM for throwing codes. Has your dealer mentioned the TSB?

zzyzx said:
Jim - Just to be clear, they installed a new crank sensor per your previous post, correct?

There have been a few people with bad cam senors, also. And FYI there's a TSB for updated S/W in the PCM for throwing codes. Has your dealer mentioned the TSB?
The issue with the cam sensors has been bad wiring harness/connectors in my case and others who have posted on here. I haven't seen someone who actually had a bad sensor yet, but doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Is there an updated calibration for the '12 cars? I've seen one for the '13 but haven't been able to find anything on the '12s. Jim has a '12.

Took the Boss out on track for the first time last friday ( Tremblant Qc Canada ) On my first time out with TK, half a lap in the engine light came on, blinking, and it went in limp mode. I had the came back in the pits almost idling around the rest of the track, I did not like the experience that much specialy with cars passing me at high speed. Once I stoped in the pits I restarded the engine and the ENL went off and it's been fine since. I did 2 more track session that day with the TK and no issue, the ENL did not came back. I took a appointment for next week at my dealer. :(

cloud9 said:
The issue with the cam sensors has been bad wiring harness/connectors in my case and others who have posted on here. I haven't seen someone who actually had a bad sensor yet, but doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Is there an updated calibration for the '12 cars? I've seen one for the '13 but haven't been able to find anything on the '12s. Jim has a '12.

Two codes this time both for the cam sensors not the crank as before. The car is at the dealer. I hope they solve the problem. I will be going to a rough track in a couple of week which will give it a real test.

TMO Supporting Vendors