The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

Just a thought...are all the misfires occurring on cars running the motorcraft 5W-50? I got my first code, P0304 cylinder 4 misfire this last weekend at the track but I had just done an oil change to motorcraft. Prior to that I never got a code thrown at me driving on the same track in the same conditions. Before this I had run Royal Purple 10W-40. Are the Amsoil guys out there getting the misfire codes? Just a thought that came to me.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I've run Motorcraft 5W-50 almost exclusively. I recently started running Castrol Syntec 5W-50; experienced misfires on both oils. They are not related.

I had the misfire cel once, around 100 miles. Pretty much one of the first times I got on it and I was still getting used to shifting it. I think it was that 4000RPM CEl that people get. The next week I had the TK done and they did the crank relearn. Been beating the snot out of it since and havent had another CEL. I'm praying that was it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

ArizonaGT said:
I just bought a new crank position sensor from Tousley, I'm going to throw it in there when I'm installing the new clutch to the car next month.

Just an update--when I pulled my clutch and flywheel, I found that the crank position sensor had metal shavings attracted to the end, and the sensor had a noticeable dent in the side. I replaced the sensor as well as the crank trigger (pulse) ring.
I also had my dealer do the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn the next day.

I haven't had a chance to get back to the track (and won't until October, with this car) but I'm hoping my woes are over.

The crank sensor is only $20ish from Tousley and you can replace it from the top side of the engine bay with some patience (it's one bolt).
https://www.tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2012/FORD/MUSTANG/BOSS%20302/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1501235&section=ELECTRICAL&group=POWERTRAIN%20CONTROL&subgroup=POWERTRAIN%20CONTROL&component=CRANKSHAFT%20POSITION%20SENSOR

zzyzx

Steve

ArizonaGT said:
Just an update--when I pulled my clutch and flywheel, I found that the crank position sensor had metal shavings attracted to the end, and the sensor had a noticeable dent in the side. I replaced the sensor as well as the crank trigger (pulse) ring.
I also had my dealer do the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn the next day.

I haven't had a chance to get back to the track (and won't until October, with this car) but I'm hoping my woes are over.

The crank sensor is only $20ish from Tousley and you can replace it from the top side of the engine bay with some patience (it's one bolt).
https://www.tousleyfordparts.com/parts/2012/FORD/MUSTANG/BOSS%20302/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=1501235&section=ELECTRICAL&group=POWERTRAIN%20CONTROL&subgroup=POWERTRAIN%20CONTROL&component=CRANKSHAFT%20POSITION%20SENSOR

You know... I'm sure MANY on here would love to see a HOWTO write up on replacing the crank sensor. *hint* *hint*

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

zzyzx said:
You know... I'm sure MANY on here would love to see a HOWTO write up on replacing the crank sensor. *hint* *hint*

That could probably be arranged...

jim woodruff said:
Two codes this time both for the cam sensors not the crank as before. The car is at the dealer. I hope they solve the problem. I will be going to a rough track in a couple of week which will give it a real test.

well here is the scoop. Received a call fro the tech. today. The found bad cam shaft conectors and are going to replace the senorors and wiring harness. Ford also gave them the go ahead and pull the gear bos and install the updated paulse ring and heavy dutty bracket for the crank shaft sensor. I fell Ford wants to make us all happy. Great customer service as far as I am concerned. I should have the car back mid next week.

jim woodruff said:
well here is the scoop. Received a call fro the tech. today. The found bad cam shaft conectors and are going to replace the senorors and wiring harness. Ford also gave them the go ahead and pull the gear bos and install the updated paulse ring and heavy dutty bracket for the crank shaft sensor. I fell Ford wants to make us all happy. Great customer service as far as I am concerned. I should have the car back mid next week.
The connectors are on the harness. I'm on #3 counting the original factory harness. I just hope this one lasts more than a few months.

cloud9 said:
The connectors are on the harness. I'm on #3 counting the original factory harness. I just hope this one lasts more than a few months.
Do you mean the third harness, or are they just replacing the connectors? They just replaced my connector and not the harness, and therefore soldered it into the original harness. Still working good for now...

Moto said:
Do you mean the third harness, or are they just replacing the connectors? They just replaced my connector and not the harness, and therefore soldered it into the original harness. Still working good for now...
Third complete engine wiring harness (2 failures) The first time last July was camshaft sensor errors P0010 and P0012 (Bank 1) and a couple weeks ago it was P0020 and P0022 (Bank 2). In both cases the entire engine wiring harness was replaced but no sensors. There is electrical tape around the wires with a loop near the sensors to protect the wires if the harness gets pulled. I wonder if they taped them up when they replaced your connectors. I find it interesting that in your case they went that route versus replacing the entire harness :-\

jim woodruff said:
well have the car back today. All new parts as stated and new re-learn. Will be taking thr car to a rough track on the 10th 11th and 12th. Lets see how it goes. I also have a transmission rebuild. Sure I have have had some problems but Ford has handled it with style. lets hope it all works. thanks, jim

jim woodruff said:
well have the car back today. All new parts as stated and new re-learn. Will be taking thr car to a rough track on the 10th 11th and 12th. Lets see how it goes. I also have a transmission rebuild. Sure I have have had some problems but Ford has handled it with style. lets hope it all works. thanks, jim
Good deal. Hopefully it all works at your track day. Is the pulse ring and bracket the fix for the P0300? Also is the "upgraded" pulse ring really just the FRPP competition pulse ring?

cloud9 said:
Good deal. Hopefully it all works at your track day. Is the pulse ring and bracket the fix for the P0300? Also is the "upgraded" pulse ring really just the FRPP competition pulse ring?
Good question. While I wasn't having a huge problem with codes and limp mode my last two track days with the CPR were code free. ;D

cloud9 said:

The bracket looked about the same but was machined a little better. the paulse ring looked like the quality had improved and looke more concentric just from the eye. Who knows. The trans had the 5th & 6th syns. replaced. I looked at the trany. and I am glad I don't have to work on it, a Lot of special tools are required. The tech said 14 hrs are required for the transmission. Thats more than a 12 pack. I will up date after my nest track event. thanks, jim

Georgia

I have finally arrived! ::)

Pulled my first CEL codes this past weekend at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park). Mostly the usual P0300, but I did pull some individual cylinders (2, 4, 6) on one session. Previous weekend at AMP (Atlanta Motorsports Park), no codes. Two very different tracks, with CMP being much faster straights and harder brake zones.

Last year, same track, same event, I drove the entire course in 4th, never shifted and never pulled a code. It was my first outing with the Boss and I took it very conservatively. My wife had other terms for it LOL!

This year, with more seat time in the car, I shifted between 3rd and 4th and occassionally 5th when I was not in traffic. What I did notice is that during a session when I shifted at lower rpms (under 5000 rpm) I did not get a CEL. Any thoughts on this or was it just a coincidence?

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"

Cam position sensor falult saga: I have posted before about cam position sensors typically P010 codes. Potentially we have isolated the problem to no strain relief on the cam position sensor harness above the connector. One dealer (I've been to three with two Ford recorded complaints) had some foresight and wrapped tape (strain relief) around the harness leg going into the sensor and I have not had a repeat on that side, however the side that did NOT have the taped strain relief failed again and broke the connector contacts deep in the connector, it does not come out it is an internal break.
You just fold over that small leg of the harness going to the cam sensor and then strain relief it so there is no movement at all in the harness wires going into the connector. That failure only brought up codes P010 this last time...but previously I got tow additional P011, P012...related to over advance and over retard. I can tell you it WILL pull off power with this code, but not full limp mode...so if you want all that horsepower all the time, I hope this helps you.

Not a 100 % on this one yet but looks like a good fix so far...but just incase I bought a spare connector plug, h a ha.
I'll give it a good shakedown this weekend 6/8-9 and we'll find out...by the way all the dealers have replaced is the harness connector that plugs in...it is a spare part from Ford has about a 6" leg and the connector..costs I think it was about $31 or so.

Hello everyone hope my story helps ,my motor was replaced week and half ago oil con sumption issue.so they replaced new motor ,told me to drive car normal which I did and bam cel light flashing and steady came on.brought it back to dealer put it on scan and misfire on #2,#4,#7 cylinders so they checked everything coil,plugs even flashed they couldn't understand why keeping get misfired then they did a step by step install dry run and found out timing chain out of alignment by 2 deg from factory they adjusted and now runs stronger and no more misfire codes,they also said ford will be seeing a lot of these issues with the bosses after certian times and they replyied to ford to have a tsb about this thank

LS Boss

The "old" and the "new"

Ahhhh yes, the SAGA continues...the ole CEL P010 s STILL not resolved (not previous post)...back to Ford again...grrrr

TMO Supporting Vendors