The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Perf Pack 2 or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Champ, that is my exact thought , but nice to illustrate to others. The two 2018s that did not sell quirkly did not have Recaros , and I told them the buyer for this type of car would want them. Your comment has value in showing that this is usually the case!

It honestly seems silly that the top of the line handling package wouldn't come with the best seats for cornering! I guess real racers would immediately replace them with FIA spec seats but, as Vorshlag has shown, those racers probably wouldn't start out with a PP2 anyway.

I love the PP2, to be honest. I love how subtle looking it is and that new engine sounds like it must be a peach. But I don't like the stupid tall new gear ratios in the MT82.

Weighing in, as I started this conversation. I would like to see a GT (not premium):

301A, because I want a decent radio, and the small screen on the 300 just looks silly. And I don’t want stuff I don’t want just to get the B&O (by ordering the GT Prem.)

PP2, because, well, that’s the point of this thread.

On the fence about MagneRide, but would probably want it.

Active exhaust, maybe? Does it make the car go faster? I’d take it it was installed, but wouldn’t cry if it wasn’t.

At MSRP of around $41K, Ford would sell a lot!

I had a conversation with a local dealer guy who orders the cars. I guess he liked the idea and ordered a few. Too bad I’ll be out of the market for a new one by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would have to check on Monday but I believe there is a $2000 rebate on a Mustang GT right now. Though Bullitts , Shelby GT350s, and of course the GT 500 ( when it comes out) don't participate in the rebates, it is one nice plus with a PP2, since Ford lumps it in with the standard Mustangs.

Thanks for your input ......just reinforces my thoughts and as noted gives me ammunition . I particularly like when " Save the Manuals," posts , as it reminds me of our little task on this Earth, keeping this rare species viable to the Generations to come, ha.

My son says his son with be the only young man in the Omaha area that will learn to drive on a manual -- did I raise the boy right or what?

Rambling , but it is getting harder and harder to convince management anywhere to order vehicles with a stick , and that is across a very wide spectrum, not just Ford buyers. At one of our new Stores , with a small Sales Force only one individual can drive a manual transmission. Part of the reason I think many of us feel the camaraderie here...........none of us are shiftless, ha,ha.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I didn’t teach my daughter on a manual shift car, that came later. Once she experience the control and well.....fun you can have, she was hooked.
I guess today more people just want to go along for the ride, not control the journey.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Going along for the ride, not controlling the journey -- that is quotable ! Whether your thought or a borrowed one, I shall put that in my repertoire, as can't imagine how it could be expressed any better?

My son is definitely looking far ahead, as my grandson is only 3. My son learned how to drive in a Mazda Miata and a 97 White Mustang Cobra. Learned well and was actually beating older folks auto crossing at age 15. Still look back on that with some humor, as he was denied "Rookie of the Year," because they said he was too young. Nothing in our Club rules, just too many complaints from others about getting beat by a youngster with a " Learner's Permit!" I actually had to ride with him on every run, so he had fat Dad with him.

Bill,
You convincing the dealer to order these cars with just the right options and none of the unwanted extras is exactly what motivated my son & I to travel to the cornfields of Nebraska to buy his PP1 6spd w/Recaros.
Even better was having several colors to choose from.
Those base performance spec'd cars generally don't exist at dealers in my neck of the woods. They all have Nav, heated leather, a radio no one listens to and extra vanity mirrors. (kidding). They also come with a price that reflects those options.
One can always order their exact car I suppose but that's usually when the so called objective voices of reason pop up....:(. Many of these purchases are semi-impulsive. Thinking of buying vs seeing & driving one makes all the difference.
The great people, pricing and no BS games is what got me to make a 2nd trip to Nebraska for my car.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
When I went looking for my car there were only 2 base PP1's with Recaros that I could find in Southern Ontario, and one of them had some other stuff on it I didn't want. I took the car that was a pure base with only PP1 and Recaros. Fortunately I didn't really care about the colour! Since it spends all its drive time going to, going around or coming home from a track it fits my needs perfectly!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Manufacturers made it tough on Franchises over the past 10 years, reducing the profit margins tremendously , but bringing them back if the Dealer orders tons of options. Catch 22 and this has always bugged me , so while I was very active I ordered 90% of my customer's cars - understand 302Bob's methods. Now, since I am in more of an advisory and teaching role, I am trying to instill in many of the new Salespeople that finding out what the customer really wants is the way to be successful long term. But change is constant, so it is always good to reach out to the buying public. I have always found that Fastrackraticus are the folks that influence others more than even the average Motorhead, so this is a strong place to start for up to date desires/needs?

From a new 2019 PP2 owner.

*If I could have had the option of no radio and roll up windows, I would have ordered it that way:confused:. I am old school and truly should be driving my old 67 T/A Coupe instead. I have to admit the forced PP2 option 401A package is pretty cool. I really like the nice screen, dual climate, all the light colors.

* I did not get Recaros. A set of fixed back Sparcos are on my short list of upgrades. However, I think most people buying the car will want that option. From what I have seen on Mustang G6 forums the guys buying these cars are using them as daily drivers. They are changing out the Sport Cups the day they buy the car. I highly doubt they are going to be changing out seats so they will option the Recaro since it is a decent deal for a nice set of seats. Sort of shows you the buyer of the car is similar to 99% of the GT350 buyers. Most will NEVER see the track. The stock seats are really good surprisingly.

* I do have Active Exhaust. If I plan to run a track that has decibel limits, it can definitely come in to play. A lot of people I know running at open track events here on the West Coast have had to deal with this. Nice to just hit a button and quiet the car down.

Other than that, I think just Recaros and possibly Active are good items to add.

Bay Area
Thats a lil subjective thinking that 99% of us GT350 owners are using them as DD or WWers. GEEZ who let the new guy in??? (Just messing here @foxcoupefan).

Im pretty sure that 96.5% of the GT350 owners here use them on the track. Just because another forum which is also full of keyboard bandits has an opinion doesn't make anyone a SME.

I think we need to get back on track and help @gojimjoyce find the appropriate car he is looking for.

BTW take up Wine Country on that 30% off deal. Im only an hour away and travel to Reno area often enough to avoid shipping.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
ByronJ,

Good comment and checked out Wine Country Motorsports and they have 4 Stores , with 3 others in Colorado, Sebring and Jupiter Florida respectively. So more fellow Trackrats may be able to drop in and pick up items on the discount currently out?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Guess I will just have to order stuff from Colorado ,since it is one State away, but considering the idea of Wine Country itself , I think I better keep that date open ---- Byron J, designated driver for Willy Da P has a nice ring to it, and that way I could help benefit your economy even more, ha!

TMO Supporting Vendors