The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Project Super Beater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem is, this engine has a ton of miles on it, if this works, fine, if not, then I would normally pull the heads, but then you have to yank around with the timing chains, so you might as well replace the tensioners, so you might as well replace the oil pump... etc etc.
So at some point, going down this rabbit hole, I might as well just get a crate motor.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That is a "Crate " idea!! Welcome to the new thread , " Super Fast " Beater , or maybe just " Damn good looking Sleeper. "

Either way , keep this thread going , for those of us in the cold Midwest , this is our version of an " Automotive " Soap Opera. I look forward to the next episode on Monday.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Problem is, this engine has a ton of miles on it, if this works, fine, if not, then I would normally pull the heads, but then you have to yank around with the timing chains, so you might as well replace the tensioners, so you might as well replace the oil pump... etc etc.
So at some point, going down this rabbit hole, I might as well just get a crate motor.

I have found a couple of these dilemma topics on the car for this year. Seats. Stripes. Prep for motor work.

bigstock-209469319.jpg

Ok so here we go..
A couple of caveats, if the top of the electrode stays with the porcelin in the plug bore, break it off. Or try to extract it
( good luck with that one) the electrode has corroded to the porcelin and it wont pop out and go into the combustion chamber. If it does, you can still fish it out with a small magnet. The reason is that you need EVERY bit of metal there for the tool to grab.
As it was, the Lisle tool worked spectacularly until plug 4. It was tired on plug 3, but plug 4 was a no go and it pulled out of the metal.. so..
Because I'm a realist, I purchased both a Lisle and a NAPA version. The lisle is by far the better piece IMO.
The difference is that the NAPA version actually uses a tap to make the threads, and the puller threads on those. In real life, this puller pulled out as well, but upon further review I noticed the tap was a standard tap, it should be a bottom tap, so a trip to the grinder created a bottom tap. I ran it in, it grabbed and #4 was exctracted.. done deal.
These things make all sorts of snaps and pops and its pretty unnerving, but it's just the way the tool works.
Now " Onward! into the fog.

20220304_145959.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Ontario, Canada
Ok so here we go..
A couple of caveats, if the top of the electrode stays with the porcelin in the plug bore, break it off. Or try to extract it
( good luck with that one) the electrode has corroded to the porcelin and it wont pop out and go into the combustion chamber. If it does, you can still fish it out with a small magnet. The reason is that you need EVERY bit of metal there for the tool to grab.
As it was, the Lisle tool worked spectacularly until plug 4. It was tired on plug 3, but plug 4 was a no go and it pulled out of the metal.. so..
Because I'm a realist, I purchased both a Lisle and a NAPA version. The lisle is by far the better piece IMO.
The difference is that the NAPA version actually uses a tap to make the threads, and the puller threads on those. In real life, this puller pulled out as well, but upon further review I noticed the tap was a standard tap, it should be a bottom tap, so a trip to the grinder created a bottom tap. I ran it in, it grabbed and #4 was exctracted.. done deal.
These things make all sorts of snaps and pops and its pretty unnerving, but it's just the way the tool works.

View attachment 73073
... is this the 3 valve head spark plug issue? I remember looking, deep, into the extractor solutions when I was thinking of getting a Sport Trac V8. Did you get all 8 out?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Ok so here we go..

View attachment 73073
Good save!

... is this the 3 valve head spark plug issue? I remember looking, deep, into the extractor solutions when I was thinking of getting a Sport Trac V8. Did you get all 8 out?
Yes, only 4 gave me problems, This is living proof of the old saying..

"An engineer will climb over a pile of 50 virgins to screw a single technician"

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Yes, only 4 gave me problems, This is living proof of the old saying..

First we had plugs blowing out of the mod engines because Ford only had about four threads holding the plug in, then they invent the plug that will fix this problem except some idiot selects a two piece design for the plug. Spark plugs have only been around for about 100 years and these "engineers" have a "Better Idea"

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North

Hilarious.....stupid engineers ;).

Gotta extend the love to the bean counters too...it'a always the Finance guy who has the last signature on the design and manufacturing specs. For example, sinter-forged rods in an ~8krpm engine that all the tech guys knew would be hot-rodded to Jupiter once the TMO guys got their sweaty paws on it. Great idea boss - yeah, they'll be fine :banghead::beatentodeath:.

No bucks...no Buck Rogers...sadly.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Pics of carnage like this should be featured in business planning sessions where the tech guys are seeking additional funding to improve the product.

Maybe they are?

Maybe that's why we have Gen 3 Coyote...or why 2pc plugs are ancient history?

Should leave it here and return BS-1's thread to its purpose.....sorry Rob.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I'm back to a self imposed 6750 rpm redline. It's not racing, we don't even get trophies, so why risk blowing up a motor that would likely cost $15-20K tiny Canuck bucks to replace? The joy is in the corners, and this car never fails to put a smile on my face in those corners.

Pics of carnage like this should be featured in business planning sessions where the tech guys are seeking additional funding to improve the product.

Maybe they are?

Maybe that's why we have Gen 3 Coyote...or why 2pc plugs are ancient history?

Should leave it here and return BS-1's thread to its purpose.....sorry Rob.
no worries, it's good to vent once in awhile

TMO Supporting Vendors