The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Re: Front Wheel Spats For 2012 Boss with WC Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Front Wheel Spats

NFSBOSS said:
You could just use a couple of L brackets to hold the two pieces together. If using aluminum I would make mine like Johns but place the forward piece under the splitter for a cleaner look. Drill two holes and two bolts to hold them together. Or you could use 3M VHB velcro but it's pretty thick. I'm sure it would hold at 150 mph though. ;D

Yep. Good idea. When I added the adjustable winglets to the end of my splitter, I bolted it through, BUT...I countersunk the hole on top of the splitter and swapped out the bolt that came with it for a countersinking one so its flat on the splitter. Will do the same for this.

But I also got to thinking, if this has any value on the rear. Then I thought if I had the sideskirt splitters that would connect up to a rear fender spat....Hmmmmmm...aaaaaaaeeeeroooooo.....I mean...dooooonnnuutt..

homer-simpson.jpg

DG#56 said:
Cool. Thanks. I ordered a few 12"x24" sheets. I'm going to make a cardstock template first though.
I guess the one advantage to the metal is you can make right angles in it, which John did. I'll have to think about that junction with the splitter some.
Maybe I use the aluminum for that joint only.

Wouldn't you want it to form a gentle sloping angle rather than a right angle? I would assume that the right angle would kind if trap air sort of rather than glide over it but I have no idea about aerodynamics at all.

Tulsa, OK

I've posted these pictures in other threads but thought I would add them here as well. I used ABS and "L" brackets to attach my spats. I have since scrapped them because I cut my splitter down a lot. They were easy to make and the ABS was flexible enough to mold to the shape of the wheel well once the screws went on.

602124_10101671471265152_1598919682_o1_zps447c40e6.jpg

903419_10101671472916842_1725959152_o1_zpsf0d03368.jpg

490936_10101671473815042_2096377731_o1_zps2e4246f7.jpg

1487738_10101671470262162_476828322_o_zps95f3f687.jpg

Sean said:
Wouldn't you want it to form a gentle sloping angle rather than a right angle? I would assume that the right angle would kind if trap air sort of rather than glide over it but I have no idea about aerodynamics at all.

Not exactly. This is where aerodynamics gets really weird. As an example, you'd think that a perfectly smooth sphere would travel farther through the air than one that isn't. But it's not true! Witness the golf ball! Mind blowing if you ask me.

Another weird one is the way diffusers work, especially ones in the front. the turbulence they create actually forms a kind of cushion for faster air to move over as opposed to the friction of a rigid surface (think less surface area exposed to less air = slides faster through the air!. Its quite counter intuitive.

As for the right angle I can only guess a similar phenomena is at play where perhaps a tiny high pressure system forms there serving two purposes. pressing down on the splitter and giving the rest of the inbound air something to bounce off of.

Clear as mud, eh?

I just got back from Tap Plastics with a 12x16" sheet of 3/32" ABS plastic for a whopping $4.53. The plastic has the same texture as the top of the splitter on one side. This should be enough material to make 4 spats so I have room for error. My plan is to use the two existing screws and add a third at the top and screw it directly into the plastic lip of the fender well. I'm not worried about adding one little hole. Then I'll use 3M Auto Advanced Super Strength Molding Tape I have to secure the bottom of the spat to the back edge of the splitter. I think this will hold just fine. If it doesn't I'll try the 3M VHB RP tape. That should hold it.

IMG_5165_zpsygesj00k.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-1-5in-Circles-Adhesive-2-29mm/dp/B00HLYC8YE/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1425158549&sr=1-7&keywords=3m+vhb+tape+4991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9Fo-DxupzeQ

Tulsa, OK

NFSBOSS said:
Logan was that the larger LS splitter? Did you use a screw at the top and drill into the platsic? Also could you tell any difference in downforce or otherwise on track?

It was homemade and was a little bit larger than the LS splitter. Unfortunately, I never tested it out on track. Cut down the splitter and removed the spats before getting out on track.

I just used the two screws that are already on the inside of the fender to secure the spats. Worked surprisingly well.

Made some progress on this and got the spats cut and taped on. :eek: Anyway I went with a 12.5" height and kept the angle outward to a point that I thought looked good. Sorry the sun was going down and the light not the best but you'll get the idea. Please keep in mind I'm using the World Challenge splitter and you might want to do something larger with a larger splitter.

IMG_5220_zpssbety68a.jpg
IMG_5218_zpstghikrjw.jpg
IMG_5216_zpsqwpr3rqs.jpg
IMG_5213_zpsgkmoeepx.jpg
IMG_5209_zps5srqqcin.jpg

I plan on using some 1/16" thick 1" aluminum angle iron 2.75" long to secure the bottom of the spat to the splitter. I'll secure the aluminum to the bottom of the splitter with the 3M Auto tape I previously mentioned. Then secure the spat to the aluminum using the same tape. This will give it a clean look with no bolts showing. If this doesn't hold I'll add a couple of small bolts.
IMG_5197_zpsrojw3zrk.jpg
IMG_5201_zps55zx7nas.jpg

Going higher to the bumper seam and keeping the same width at the splitter really doesn't add much. Click on the photo to enlarge it.
IMG_5222_zpsxira3hov.jpg

TMSBOSS said:
Is there any chance you made a template???? ;D
Of course. ;) If there's enough interest in this I could have my local Tap Plastics make a run of them. Literally $2 in materials so with labor maybe $20? I used 3/32" and I might make another set with 1/8". I'll try and get this finished up this week in the evenings.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Rick:

Nice job and your spat looks like it was supplied by Ford Performance! Same ABS texture. Very nice. This year I'm running a Boss LS splitter, but this might work for my application, what do you think?

If you agree, count me in for a set.

Thanks,
Dave
302 HP

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

NFSBOSS said:
Of course. ;) If there's enough interest in this I could have my local Tap Plastics make a run of them. Literally $2 in materials so with labor maybe $20? I used 3/32" and I might make another set with 1/8". I'll try and get this finished up this week in the evenings.

No drill, no cutting of the car.....why not!!

In for a set.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

A bit off topic but....

Can we must the WC splitter with a blowfish front tow hook mount and a air to air oil cooler? I have a setreb 25 row cooler with a bracket from 06Mach1.

Searching now.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

I sure hope so as I have a similar set-up planned for my Boss with an LS splitter in late April 2015. Never thought that it wouldn't fit. Good question,

Thanks TMSBoss

Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS said:
A bit off topic but....

Can we must the WC splitter with a blowfish front tow hook mount and a air to air oil cooler? I have a setreb 25 row cooler with a bracket from 06Mach1.

Searching now.

I don't see why not.

TMO Supporting Vendors