The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

roadhouse racecar build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
THRAPY said:
What model of Corbeau seats did you have in it before going full race? You like them?

I had the FX1 Pros for a few years and for a budget seat they worked out great. I wanted/needed something with an FIA cert so I switched to the Sparco Evo. I did have one of the brackets break after an offroad incident but they sent me a new one without too much hassle. Good seat for the money.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Will that knob thread onto the new MGW race spec shifter? I read somewhere their original shifter and the race spec had different threads. Anyone know if this will work?

Flyboygsxr said:
Will that knob thread onto the new MGW race spec shifter? I read somewhere their original shifter and the race spec had different threads. Anyone know if this will work?

I believe the new one has stock threads. But I'd double check with MGW first.

Swiss Boss said:
My Race spec came with the stock thread.

But I'm pretty sure you can ask them any thread you want.
Yes. I ordered my gen 2 shifter with stock threads.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
F.D. Sako said:
The older version MGW's had different threads (cant remember what they were) and the last two versions used stock threads.

I have gen1 and gen 2 shifters. They have a shaft which can be changed by loosening a jam nut. They offered two shaft threads, stock and aftermarket, for lack of better terms.

I ordered both, you just never know.

Tulsa, OK
Got after the driver side door with the cut-off wheel today :eek: This is a rough cut but generally I'm pretty happy with it. Need to clean up a few areas and grind down/roll the edges as much as I can. I weighed the panel that I cut out and it was 11 pounds. Crash bar will be coming out, too. Not sure how I'm going to mount the door handle. I purchased the WR bracket but I cut off too much to use it!

DB16C854-2D4C-4AE8-AF88-FABEE045138A_zpsymvdmmx3.jpg

This is my inspiration...

CB994424-09E6-428F-853D-5C2EA1DE71E2_zpsh0ut5gjg.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I am confused--can you not rivet it to the channel here?

mMupMNt.jpg

Looking good...

Also you may want to get some trim plastic or cut a length of tubing on one side and wrap it around those sharp edges; both for the sake of your hands and your racing suit.
BTW make sure you keep all the weatherstripping in-place on the door or it will rattle like hell at speed. You still want them to close solid.

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaBOSS said:
I am confused--can you not rivet it to the channel here?

mMupMNt.jpg

Looking good...

Also you may want to get some trim plastic or cut a length of tubing on one side and wrap it around those sharp edges; both for the sake of your hands and your racing suit.
BTW make sure you keep all the weatherstripping in-place on the door or it will rattle like hell at speed. You still want them to close solid.

It's kind of a weird angle there... but it might still work.

Yes, the sharp edges will get cleaned up. I plan to roll the edges so that should make things a little safer. Adding some trim may be needed, too.

Good info on the weather stripping. I took the car out for a spin yesterday and at certain RPMs the side mirror vibrates like hell. :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Worst case and/or "Really Racecar" is you can just run a cable from the door catch to that front most hole on the upper rib of the door and loop it through then metal crimp it in-place. Then just press on the cable in any direction to actuate the door catch. Less weight, too :)

Tulsa, OK
Some of you have already seen this on Facebook, but I did a little damage to the car yesterday :( I was at Hallett for a private day and went off coming out of turn 9 (the "biznitch"), putting the car through a fence during the first session. It was driver error, as I was on the throttle too hard/early coming out of the corner and tried to save it. I hit the fence post almost head on, which bent it in half and somehow got lodged in the transmission tunnel. I was fine but it did damage the bumper cover, lower fascia, splitter, radiator, and splitter bracket.

We got the car back to my paddock and started trying to locate a radiator. The local autoparts store that delivers to the track didn't have a replacement on hand, but the race shop at the track happened to have a C&R aluminum radiator (upgrade!!) laying around that they had used on another car. I wasn't planning on upgrading the radiator that day but they cut me a killer deal and I really wanted to get the car back out on track, both for my sake and to show everyone else that a little run-in with a fence couldn't keep me down, so I jumped on it!

I have some AWESOME friends who helped my tear down the front, replace the radiator, cut off broken pieces, and zip tie everything up. I think they kind of enjoyed cutting up the car lol. I missed one session and was back out on track. Car ran flawless until the cool down lap and I barely had any travel on my clutch pedal. Made it back to the paddock and the pedal was gone. I could start the car but couldn't get in any gear. Turned out that clutch line was broken and I was leaking fluid. My guess is the fence post damaged it... I was done.

Even a bad day at the track is still a good day ;D I'll get her fixed up and be back at it. Just a small set back.

85EF94AC-62BF-4D61-9C44-DDDA9BEA0408_zpsry8vkapc.jpg

177EFBD7-A076-4875-99FA-9AEBA7FAE25E_zpsnzyosqeo.jpg

E06BF851-2976-46B0-B411-6FB6D801A47E_zpsfqsviqej.jpg

142D0935-AEB8-4016-ADEA-12AE6C0F6562_zpsqoanj7ag.jpg

5596E557-0124-4FBD-A33C-CF3845E8852E_zpswm5bfbrq.jpg

48D98CA2-CE07-4C38-80B9-5AF8656C3FFE_zpsvur0y5qr.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors