The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

roadhouse racecar build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
captdistraction said:
That definitely puts you ahead of me.

My bare chassis is still insured via a street policy, lol.

Niiiiiiice... Race insurance was much cheaper than street coverage for me. At least something during this process is putting money back into my pocket, rather than all of it just magically disappearing.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah, I think the Lockton policy I have for storage/transport/paddock is about $750/year for coverage for the car, trailer, and a bunch of spares/tools.

Tulsa, OK
I think my yearly premium worked out to be about 1% of stated value. Now if they could cover on track damage at the price as well, that'd be greaaaaaaaat ::)

Tulsa, OK
Got a deal on a used set of 18x10.5 +38 Enkei PF01s from cloud9 :) Wider and lighter than my current SVE Drift setup. Maybe some of his quickness will transfer over to me through the wheels.

Now for tires.... I ordered a set of 315/680/18s Pirellis to test fit on these wheels. Yes 680, they are going to be tall. If I don't like them then I'll probably just go back to the 305/645/18s I was using on my 10" wheels. The 305s measured more like a 285 to me so I figured I would try a 315 and see what it was like. I know DG Racing runs this size on his 11" rear wheels so we'll see how it turns out. They are gonna poke out some.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
In for fitment results. The 315 Hoosier is significantly wider than the 305 Pirelli, as you alluded to above. the 315/30/18 is very close in OD to a 645mm tire.

If you don't have any clearance issues, you should at least get some extra revs with the taller rear tire.

captdistraction said:
That definitely puts you ahead of me.

My bare chassis is still insured via a street policy, lol.

I still have mine insured. I figure if I am towing it to the track and something happens I can get some money for it. BTW still making payments on mine. That's how I roll :)

Tulsa, OK
Racer insurance will still cover any damage/loss while the car is in storage, in the paddock, or during transport. Basically anytime except on the track, or on the street.

Tulsa, OK
I decided to follow in the footsteps of some of the others on here and get the RaceCapture Pro/MK2 data acquisition and telemetry system. I will be using the bluetooth module but didn't opt for the real-time streaming module. My plan is to pick up an Android tablet and try to mount it on the steering column behind the wheel, similar to an AIM setup. I've seen people use these tablets for dash setups but I've never seen them mounted behind the wheel. Maybe the AIM mount could be modified to fit a tablet... we shall see!

http://www.autosportlabs.com/product/racecapturepro/

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I'm meeting with the owner of Autosport Labs this weekend. Maybe we can talk mustang specific mounting options, etc.

I will tell you this: get the real-time module (or connect it to a phone or tablet with a cellular connection). While you might not need realtime stats, dropping your data into their cloud app for immediate and easy analysis. That's the real power of the system, levering a cloud web app to remove the need to download the data to disk and analyze it from there.

I'm setting mine up with an "old" mk1 RC/P with bluetooth and cellular, a 3 stage shift light, CAN integration, and eventually drive a dash unit with it (they're making their own, but it can be scripted to drive just about anything).

Tulsa, OK
captdistraction said:
I'm meeting with the owner of Autosport Labs this weekend. Maybe we can talk mustang specific mounting options, etc.

I will tell you this: get the real-time module (or connect it to a phone or tablet with a cellular connection). While you might not need realtime stats, dropping your data into their cloud app for immediate and easy analysis. That's the real power of the system, levering a cloud web app to remove the need to download the data to disk and analyze it from there.

I'm setting mine up with an "old" mk1 RC/P with bluetooth and cellular, a 3 stage shift light, CAN integration, and eventually drive a dash unit with it (they're making their own, but it can be scripted to drive just about anything).

Thanks for the info. Definitely planning to make use of the cloud feature! I was considering the shift light as well... Not that I know how to do any of it, but it looks like there are tons of cool possible features/options with this unit due to the open source nature. I did see where one guy had set up his GoPro to turn on and start filming once the RCP started logging. Neat stuff

THRAPY said:
How hard is it to line up the cut for the hole for the tow loop? Are there cutting instructions or do you just have to eyeball it?

I made a template for mine using the Ford Racing one off the F500s and my old bumper cover. It's for a 2012 bumper. It came out dead on. When I get the time I'm going to clean up the template and scan it. I can then Email it to any one who needs it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel