The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SVE Drift 18X10 +43: The perfect track wheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302 said:
Forgot about those. Do they 'work' with the stock TPMS system?

No the stock system is nothing more then an idiot light telling you one of the four tires is low. These give you real time pressure and temp (inside the rim) and comes with it's own display. When I use my track wheels the stock TPMS light is on but hey, it looks good lit up with the CEL, seatbelt, airbag and other dash lights. I can even read the track map at night events :eek:

aaa-2.jpg

F.D. Sako said:
off topic, but is that a screen shot from a vid? if so, i'd like to watch it lol

Yet another guy that wants to learn what not to do out there :D

That was Sebring Winterfest https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3911.0

My channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2012YellowBoss

So maybe some dumb questions but...I' really need some track wheels/tire with much cheaper tire options;
1.18x10's OK to run on all 4 corners? Or stick with 18x9front, 18x10rear?
2. Any understeer concern?
3. Spacers needed to clear the Brembo brakes?
4. Suspension/spring mods needed for 18's?
5. Ideal tire sizes?
I've been eying the SVE and American Muscle RTR clones....

The only dumb question is the question not asked. ;)

1. 18X10 is perfectly fine to run on all corners, provided it is in the right offset. In the case of the SVE's it is.

2. Oversteer will be the only problem with a square set up, but personally I'd rather have over than under. Its a lot easier to throttle steer on a chassis than has a tendency to oversteer.

3. No spacers needed with the SVEs.

4. No suspension mods needed to run 18s. Just suspension mods to make you faster with the 18s.

5. Most tire makers will list the recommended wheel size. For instance, 305/35/18 toyo proxes r888 recommend a 10-12 inch wheel. 305 is probably the biggest you'll want to go on a 10 inch wide wheel. You can run as small as a 275 though. The spec tire for the continental tire challenge series is a 275 on 18X10 wheels.

zzyzx

Steve
silverls said:
I've been eying the SVE and American Muscle RTR clones....

I read a number of reviews where people were unhappy with the finish and quality of the paint (easily chipped) on the RTRs. I haven't seen any complaints about the SVEs at all - somebody chime in here if you have something to add.

Anyways, the SVEs are still a tad cheaper than the RTRs, also.

zzyzx said:
I read a number of reviews where people were unhappy with the finish and quality of the paint (easily chipped) on the RTRs. I haven't seen any complaints about the SVEs at all - somebody chime in here if you have something to add.

Anyways, the SVEs are still a tad cheaper than the RTRs, also.

well, i've never tracked the SVEs so I dont know if heat will have a negative affect on the finish. But they are surviving all the dirty goodness e get during winter... unfortunately that includes passing the trucks that disperse quarter sized salt, at baseball speeds, at your car. so no wheel finish complaints yet.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Forgot to weigh these out of the box, but mounted with RS-3s listed at 27#, and with TPMS plus minimal weights for balancing...I got 52.7#. Better than my stockers at about 59#/corner.

zzyzx

Steve
Hey Grant,

What size RS-03s did you put on there? Just curious - great tire - was thinking of doing the same thing with 285/35 square setup.

That's still a 6 lb. saving per corner rotating mass, which is not insignificant over stock.

Thanks for the numbers!

Grant 302

These are for the GT...I'm running 275/35/18 square. Drove them a little more today...glad I put them on 10" wide rims...the sidewalls are really well controlled and I'm impressed with the ability to handle transitions, and overall feel.

Just wish I could get one with about a 10.7" to 11" tread...then I'd be set for the Boss too. When the stock Boss tires are done, I think I'm going to run these in 245/275 on the stock rims.

Grant 302 said:
These are for the GT...I'm running 275/35/18 square. Drove them a little more today...glad I put them on 10" wide rims...the sidewalls are really well controlled and I'm impressed with the ability to handle transitions, and overall feel.

Just wish I could get one with about a 10.7" to 11" tread...then I'd be set for the Boss too. When the stock Boss tires are done, I think I'm going to run these in 245/275 on the stock rims.
Any reason why you didn't go with 285's for the GT. I'm planning on running the 265/40/18 and 285/35/18 RS-3's on my Enkei PF01's on 9.5 and 10.5" wide wheels on my Boss.

Grant 302

NFSBOSS said:
Any reason why you didn't go with 285's for the GT. I'm planning on running the 265/40/18 and 285/35/18 RS-3's on my Enkei PF01's on 9.5 and 10.5" wide wheels on my Boss.

Main reason is that I read the specs at TireRack...it's tread is wider than the 285 (10.2" vs 10.1") and its listed weight is 2-3 lbs. lighter than the 285 or the 265/40. And I'm hoping that the SL, not XL sidewall would get a little more flex/grip. With the 10" rim, I'm hoping that sidewall flex is kept under control.

The only 'bad' news IMO with this setup is that I have almost no rim protection from curbs, like I do the PSS or Pzeros. But that's not so bad considering it's a $142.50 rim.

So are the stock tires on the Boss way oversized for the 9/9.5" wheels? I keep reading about a lot of you going to wider wheels and smaller tires! Is this because you went from 19 to 18 and are combating sidewall flex?

Grant 302

WinterSucks said:
So are the stock tires on the Boss way oversized for the 9/9.5" wheels?
No, I don't think so. The 255/40 up front is a good fit for the track, but the rear could be 10" wide like the LS rims, and it wouldn't hurt...except for the added weight!

I keep reading about a lot of you going to wider wheels and smaller tires!
I dunno about that. The stock GT wheels/tires are the same as the Boss fronts on all four corners. I'm going from a stock 9.4" wide tread to 10.2" I think most are going for both more wheel width and tire width.

Is this because you went from 19 to 18 and are combating sidewall flex?

Actually the opposite for me. I was having more sidewall flex with 265/35-19 PSS on a 19x9 rim. The sidewall on these 275/35-18s isn't much taller. That wouldn't be the case if I went with 275/40s. So I don't think it's combating as much as controlling. I've been considering moving those PSSs to 9.5" or 10" wide rims to combat flex on those tires.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
WinterSucks said:
So are the stock tires on the Boss way oversized for the 9/9.5" wheels? I keep reading about a lot of you going to wider wheels and smaller tires! Is this because you went from 19 to 18 and are combating sidewall flex?

Not sure who went wider wheels/narrower, at least on purpose... I run 285/35 up front and 305/35 in the rears on 9" and 10 1/2" wheels. I prefer wider and staggered. Some Auto-X guys are running non-staggered with good reports.

Good info, thanks guys. It's nice that there is a wheel option out there where you seem to get more than you pay for. In my case, there is no need to buy a more expensive rim just because it is lighter. I won't notice the difference at my skill level. I have decided to get either the SVE or AM wheels in 18x9. I need some mileage out of them with a few AutoX days mixed in, so I decided on Conti DW tires in either 265/40 or 255/45. I was looking at the MT Street Comps, but they have a smaller tread width, even when measured on a wider rim (numbers from TR and MTs site).

TMO Supporting Vendors