The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire falls off cliff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

while we're on the subject can anyone tell me the info on this tire (besides the obvious humor) and the fact it says "rim" rather than "wheel" which is a clear faux pas in tire etiquette

PKEW3S9l.jpg

" while we're on the subject can anyone tell me the info on this tire (besides the obvious humor) and the fact it says "rim" rather than "wheel" which is a clear faux pas in tire etiquette "

rhetorical question guys, any takers?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think it says RIM because the Conti is just a rim protector to stop them getting banged around during shipment :p.

Are those the ones you guys used for the IMSA Challenge??

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
8-9/10ths and the car is on rails. It is very pleasant. I try and push harder and it is like a different machine... because I can't be smooth with this car.

I think this is the key. The A7 is fast, but I think needs a smooth, delicate driving style to last a race session without completely overheating. As someone else said above, the A7 race strategy is to pull a gap on the field in the first several laps, then try to hold on as it gets greasy. Use the grip of the A7 over the R7 to maintain momentum mid-corner for a higher apex speed, but don't overdrive the braking zone and turn-in, and be gentle rolling in the throttle on exit. Try using less trail-braking on entry, which means you may have to back up your braking a bit.

On the other hand, if you like your driving style, maybe the R7 is the Hoosier tire for you on a Mustang. Yes, the peak grip is less than the A7, but you may turn faster average laps over a session because it isn't overheating and falling off as much.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dave_W,

You have expressed my thoughts exactly , as I always found that during a race ( especially on a warm day ) the advantage of the R7 was it was not as greasy towards the end of the race , and we all know no one has a tendency to overdrive during those last laps to the checker, ha. I often found the win or placing came at the finishing laps with the R7, as one could be more consistent when aggression had really set in.

Loved Blacksheep's old tire picture, and it reminded me of the olden days autcorossing when a bunch of us took Yokohama and Hoosier decals and blended them. I actually sold magnetic vinyl decals to friends for a small price and HoosierMama stickers covered a slew of cone kller's cars!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I assume the humor is based on the fact that all the Continental Slicks done for the IMSA series were impregnated by Hoosier to birth a race tire for Continental, since they did not have one in the US. Later they felt such a kinship to Hoosier for fostering so many slick little tyres they decided to buy the Company. Obviously the use of rim instead of the English Language tire etiquette specifying wheel is due to the Continental Corporation being domiciled in Deutschland. Wheel zounds too much like , " Ve wheel kommen ohfur zum deine haus vorr abendessen."

I assume the humor is based on the fact that all the Continental Slicks done for the IMSA series were impregnated by Hoosier to birth a race tire for Continental, since they did not have one in the US. Later they felt such a kinship to Hoosier for fostering so many slick little tyres they decided to buy the Company. Obviously the use of rim instead of the English Language tire etiquette specifying wheel is due to the Continental Corporation being domiciled in Deutschland. Wheel zounds too much like , " Ve wheel kommen ohfur zum deine haus vorr abendessen."
when Hoosier's founder passed away, arrangements were made for Continental to buy the business, sadly, since it was one of the last little guy, tire producers, McCreary also, was bought up by a larger company and are now called Eagles.
that aside, I'm trying to impart some wisdom here..

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
while we're on the subject can anyone tell me the info on this tire (besides the obvious humor) and the fact it says "rim" rather than "wheel" which is a clear faux pas in tire etiquette

View attachment 62900
A specific matched tracked rim set, matched tire set, durometer reading and Rollout.
Not sure what the 15% is unless its for growth.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The optimum temperature ranges on the A7 are enlightening. Seems like they can overheat on a Texas summer day if you just look at them funny. I think part of the conversation needs to differentiate what "going off" actually means here - is it "aging out" from use and heat cycles, or is it "getting greasy" in one session due to overheating. Those are two completely different scenarios.
Good point on this.
For the A7, if the ambient temp is above 85F or so, I wouldn't run them. They will be overheated quickly in-session. If I'm running them for TT I try to run early in the morning if it's expected to be hot out. They could still make a good qualifying tire in hot temps, but you'll have to set a fast time on the first or second flying lap.

ALSO--with respect to warming up the tires/weaving etc. on the out-lap, for the A7 I generally avoid this with the exception of some hard throttle/brake in a straight line to get a little heat into them before the last few corners that would begin a flying lap.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Toronto, Ohio
when Hoosier's founder passed away, arrangements were made for Continental to buy the business, sadly, since it was one of the last little guy, tire producers, McCreary also, was bought up by a larger company and are now called Eagles.
that aside, I'm trying to impart some wisdom here..
Didn't McCreary become the "American Racer" tire used by some short track racers?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yep, the big number is diameter, or roll out.

But that 15%???
My guess is how much it grows at PSI but that's a just a guess....I don't really know the answer to that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yep, the big number is diameter, or roll out.

But that 15%???
Well there's diameter and roll out which is circumference...two different measurements that tell you basically the same thing but rollout is way more accurate.

TMO Supporting Vendors