The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow Hooks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We have our prototype tow eye completed as of this weekend and should have production units available in approximately 2- weeks. We have focused on a design that is very strong and that can be easily installed by owners and there will be no welding. We will have pics soon.

Isn't it kind of uncool to hijack somebody's thread to sell your own stuff?

This is a thread on tow hooks. I would agree with a "hijack" if the op was a vendor who started a thread to discuss their solution. In this case the OP inquired about a product and there has been discussion of various front and back solutions.

I'll open a new thread when we have pics and additional info. Apologies to the OP and anyone I may have offended.

No worries Kendall. I look forward to receiving further info when your product is available. A new thread for your product is a good idea.

Cooltech,

I went back and read from the beginning. You're right, I'm wrong. I had only followed the most recent traffic where one individual was posting his solution. I had assumed it was his thread. My bad!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
big red one said:
Cool can i pay you through paypal or something like that, and will it fit a non LS 2013?

i am taking orders directly through my website. www.blowfishracing.com

i am offering 3 versions right now. 05-09, 2010-2013 with LS and 2010-2013 without LS. I intend to update the site today to reflect this and also notify everyone that i will be ready to ship out on Thursday, August 30th! My vendor suprised me with the fab parts early last week and they are welded up and at the powdercoaters now.

I will have real pictures in place of the model pictures on the site by Wednesday.

the LS version will fit non-LS Splitter equipped cars...which is a nice feature for those who may want to consider the Splitter in the future. I am offering both styles for 2 reasons 1)cost is $20 less 2)it weighs less.

To address Cooltech, I welcome the competition and have no issues with you posting. Obviously, I would like to be the only kid on the block, but competition just makes a better product for consumers. I look forward to seeing your solution.

Would it be too ironic if i got into the external oil cooler business? ;)

It would be nice if the other Mustang forums were filled with people as normal and helpful as this one. The 130 lb wimps that want to act as Internet bullies drive me nuts!

BTW Pufferfish, do I get a discount for defending your Internet Honor? ;D

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Actual product pictures are officially on the site...which means we are shipping front tow hook kits out starting tomorrow! i put the first LS version on my car and it fits perfectly and the finish is awesome!(although i am slightly biased ;))

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
pufferfish said:
Actual product pictures are officially on the site...which means we are shipping front tow hook kits out starting tomorrow! i put the first LS version on my car and it fits perfectly and the finish is awesome!(although i am slightly biased ;))

So, on the LS version, the OEM splitter bracket is removed and this replaces it? Cool.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
here you go! i am still waiting for my replacement ls splitter from ford, so it is not installed yet, but i know it bolted up perfectly on the prototype and this is exactly the same.
1002307.jpg

1002301i.jpg

1002299cq.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
while i was at it, i took some pics of the prototype rear tow hook. let me know, honestly, what you think of its location.
1002302c.jpg

hook on:
1002303w.jpg

hook off:
1002304.jpg

i think the rear is perfect, Don't think you can move the rear hook anywhere else anyway right? just curious, would this still fit if you have a license plate frame?

drano38

Wayne
My rear hook is welded, goes thru the black diffuser, and folds up out of site behind the plate (plastic nut longevity not tested yet).
I like that my black diffuser is cut, not the painted part.
But my front/back set took 8 hrs labor to install at a Ford dealership.
Both are good options. Not sure which I'd choose today.

I'm curious if you did finite element analysis while putting "not in line" loads on it.. Rarely would you pull from directly in front.

They look good. I like where the rear is located. Post a pic with the plate off, I'm interested in a set and I have a weld on set sitting in the bench!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I don't have FEA software yet. thats more like a year 2 or 3 investment to cut down the prototype time. it was tested with a 10,000 lb force gauge. pull angles were tested up to 45 degrees. with the bracket being a triangulated design, it never budged. the weakest link is the loop joint, which the rating is based on. the highest loads were generated not in a flat pull from gravel trap at an angle, but from trailer loading at the transition point from flat surface to a "stepped" surface, such as a board commonly used to decrease the approach angle onto a trailer.

to answer some questions for the rear hook, a license plate holder would have to be notched to allow the Loop Mount to pass by it. as is, the license plate itself is within 1/8" of the Mount. Yes, the painted bumper piece needs to be cut, but its a very hidden location that would likely go unnoticed if the Kit were to be removed. i tried to find a good location to cut the lower instead, but it just wasn't going to work with a bolt-in arrangement. the only way is the weld in style currently avbailable through others, where the bumper support is notched to accept the Loop Mount. i can't show pictures of the bracket for the rear hook yet. i am working on finalizing a design and then need to patent it before i can show it off.

TMO Supporting Vendors