The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am wondering why we could'nt just go to a custom tuning shop and get our TracKey programmed there. I use a shop here in Dallas, the owner has a new 5.0 Mustang GT, he put a Boss intake on it and did a custom dyno tune, and was getting around 420 hp at the wheels through an automatic. Of course this approach creates warranty issues, but if the Tuner programs the ECU using the same method Ford uses (Not using an external chip), I don't see why you couldn't just change it back before you go to the dealership with your broken engine (sarcasm).

5 DOT 0 said:
svtrich said:
The Trackey is the one of the selling points for me to order a new 2013.if they have no Trackey, I guess a GT500 might be going in the garage instead.If I was the owner with a 2012,Id be really pissed off by now.but what do you do now? just my 2 cents
I'm not sure what you're expecting of TK but it's not going to turn a Boss into a GT500. If that's what you're thinking you should save up the extra money and buy a GT500. These cars are targeted to two different market segments. I've driven a TK equipped car and in general people have their expectations too high. Many think they are going to use it on the street but I sure won't be. With the more agrresssive throttle response and engine braking the car will not be smooth driving around town in traffic. Additionally Ford has never advertised that there will be more HP. If TK is a make a break deal for you then don't buy a Boss 302.

Sorry guys but it's not just CA. There are thirteen other states that follow CARB plus the District of Columbia. That covers over half the US population. Be patient it's almost here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_emission_standards

You sound like a Ford PR rep. Judging by performance tests conducted by the main auto rags, the Boss 302/GT 500 comparison is congruent.

The TK tune is a feature on an otherwise spartan performance vehicle, and was one of the reasons I bought the car. I am a little frustrated by the delayed release of the TK tune and rightfully so. I could honestly not care less about the CARB certification. This isn't my first rodeo. I have added mods to quite a few cars and everything I every bought had a label on it: Not For Sale In California. I don't think it is unreasonable to release the TK tune to states that don't follow such strict regs and release the TK later, if at all, to the remaining states that follow Kali's restrictions.

Personally, I am a little dissapointed in some of the cheap, cost-cutting steps taken in an otherwise well-buit car. The TK tune release delay is just an added irritation.

12BossKB said:
You sound like a Ford PR rep. Judging by performance tests conducted by the main auto rags, the Boss 302/GT 500 comparison is congruent.

The TK tune is a feature on an otherwise spartan performance vehicle, and was one of the reasons I bought the car. I am a little frustrated by the delayed release of the TK tune and rightfully so. I could honestly not care less about the CARB certification. This isn't my first rodeo. I have added mods to quite a few cars and everything I every bought had a label on it: Not For Sale In California. I don't think it is unreasonable to release the TK tune to states that don't follow such strict regs and release the TK later, if at all, to the remaining states that follow Kali's restrictions.

Personally, I am a little dissapointed in some of the cheap, cost-cutting steps taken in an otherwise well-buit car. The TK tune release delay is just an added irritation.
Welcome to the effects of political bull. I think it will have a negative impact on Ford if they don't deliver. However, I don't plan on parting with my Boss because of it. I will probably not buy another Ford, though. I firmly believe in voting with my money and if a company screws you, then go somewhere else. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

GA
302BOB said:
They must have been ignorant in being arrogantly optimistic or vice versa. I just hope the lopey idle doesn't disappear from TRACKEY.

In hindsight I think it was a mistake for Ford proper to make it an integral part of the Boss marketing campaign and to supply the red key with the car. This probably would have flown under the CARB and other state government bureaucracy radar if it was run through the Ford Racing aftermarket. Except maybe CARB, because you CA guys are just screwed anyway living there. ;)

PJWANNABE said:
302BOB said:
They must have been ignorant in being arrogantly optimistic or vice versa. I just hope the lopey idle doesn't disappear from TRACKEY.

In hindsight I think it was a mistake for Ford proper to make it an integral part of the Boss marketing campaign and to supply the red key with the car. This probably would have flown under the CARB and other state government bureaucracy radar if it was run through the Ford Racing aftermarket. Except maybe CARB, because you CA guys are just screwed anyway living there. ;)
My son's going to school in Monterey and it's a beautiful part of the state. I'm not trying to pile on or be a hater, but what would happen if all the sane people left California? Just leave it for the libs and whack jobs that ran it to ground in debt. ;D

GA
STIG302 said:
PJWANNABE said:
302BOB said:

My son's going to school in Monterey and it's a beautiful part of the state. I'm not trying to pile on or be a hater, but what would happen if all the sane people left California? Just leave it for the libs and whack jobs that ran it to ground in debt. ;D

People like myself left New York State for the same reasons. ;)

Whammer said:
My disappointment in TK comes from Ford not really being ready for CARB. Were they ignorant or arrogant?
Whammer welcome to BMO, good to see you here.

I think your comment is a bit harsh. Ford is doing something that hasn't been done before and regardless of it's final form should be very cool. Did Ford do a poor job of managing expectations? Yes. Is CARB being tough on Ford since this is a new concept? Yes. We're all disappointed about the delay including everyone at Ford. Hopefully they make it up to us by mailing our Boss Owner Kits soon. ;)

Anyway according to the guys at Track Attack during the last week of August TK was in the final stages of the final check by CARB. TK should be here soon.

5 DOT 0 said:
Whammer said:
My disappointment in TK comes from Ford not really being ready for CARB. Were they ignorant or arrogant?
Whammer welcome to BMO, good to see you here.

I think your comment is a bit harsh. Ford is doing something that hasn't been done before and regardless of it's final form should be very cool. Did Ford do a poor job of managing expectations? Yes. Is CARB being tough on Ford since this is a new concept? Yes. We're all disappointed about the delay including everyone at Ford. Hopefully they make it up to us by mailing our Boss Owner Kits soon. ;)

Anyway according to the guys at Track Attack during the last week of August TK was in the final stages of the final check by CARB. TK should be here soon.

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here.

I don't think I was being too harsh with Ford. I truly believe it was ignorance or arrogance in regard to TK and CARB. They either thought it would be a simple matter to submit it and get approval or they didn't understand what was needed to comply with CARB.

I have no idea if CARB is being a prick to Ford. I have heard nothing about CARB is making Ford do, or how they are treating Ford, or if they are being overly punishing. I've heard things hinted at on various forums but nothing official.

Hopefully TK survives as intended by Ford. It would be a shame to get a highly watered down tune.

Remember Ford could not even apply for this certification with CRAP until the first production models were delivered, not their fault. Sounds like what we have are a bunch of people that are trying to protect their overpaid jobs by looking for or making up things wrong with the tune (look mom what I found! I did good :selfpatonback:). Most likely these people have no engineering degree or the knowledge of the people that put this tune together. I don't think (but have no proof) the guys at Ford would have put together something outside existing law. It is all just a tax payer funded game.

I bet if we looked close the type of people running CARP are the son-in-law of a donor of large amounts of money to one of the governors campaigns.

... and no I am not bitter :mad:

Whammer said:
Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here.

I don't think I was being too harsh with Ford. I truly believe it was ignorance or arrogance in regard to TK and CARB. They either thought it would be a simple matter to submit it and get approval or they didn't understand what was needed to comply with CARB.

I have no idea if CARB is being a prick to Ford. I have heard nothing about CARB is making Ford do, or how they are treating Ford, or if they are being overly punishing. I've heard things hinted at on various forums but nothing official.

Hopefully TK survives as intended by Ford. It would be a shame to get a highly watered down tune.
Fair enough. I think the lopey idle is most of the problem. I suspect it has a lot of over run with unburnt fuel which increased emissions. I can't imagine this passing without being modified. I hope I'm wrong because the cars at MMP sounded really cool at idle.

Sadly this looks like a 2012 mod for me. I'll have at best one or two track days in October then it's into storage for the winter. The upside is I have a huge database of lap times pre-TK for comparison. Since I've got a fair amount of track time in the Boss already, most of the gain (hopefully gain ;)) will be from TK vs. seat time.

2012YellowBoss said:
Remember Ford could not even apply for this certification with CRAP until the first production models were delivered, not their fault. Sounds like what we have are a bunch of people that are trying to protect their overpaid jobs by looking for or making up things wrong with the tune (look mom what I found! I did good :selfpatonback:). Most likely these people have no engineering degree or the knowledge of the people that put this tune together. I don't think (but have no proof) the guys at Ford would have put together something outside existing law. It is all just a tax payer funded game.

I bet if we looked close the type of people running CARP are the son-in-law of a donor of large amounts of money to one of the governors campaigns.

I think the major problem for all of us on these forums is the lack of information coming from Ford. We're all just speculating on what the problem(s) is, or are. I suppose after all is said in done we'll get a little more info. But it would've been nice if Ford kept Boss owners updated.

If Ford can't deliver TK as intended then perhaps the solution is the aftermarket. Ford could sell or give the program to aftermarket tuners and we could get TK from them. As far as my limited knowledge goes...CARB has no control over the tunes and adjustments aftermarket tuners provide.

I like Whammers suggestion,

Also if you let a good tuner do the TrackKey tune, you will get added HP and TQ (not just a lopey idle, and more responsive throttle etc). Maybe its because I have two cars already with a lopey idle, I would much rather have 20 extra HP myself. ;D.

Here is a suggestion for you guys. Switch over to E85 fuel and have a custom tune made for that. I guarantee you will see a big increase in HP and TQ. E85 has the octane rating of race gas, and costs 20% less than 93 octane gas. The only caveat is you have to make sure your fuel system can supply 20% more volume than it does on regular gas. I am not sure of the capacity of the Boss fuel system. A lot of guys with Turbos and SCs are using E85 these days.

-Chris

Whammer said:
If Ford can't deliver TK as intended then perhaps the solution is the aftermarket. Ford could sell or give the program to aftermarket tuners and we could get TK from them. As far as my limited knowledge goes...CARB has no control over the tunes and adjustments aftermarket tuners provide.

Ford's TK has a Ford warranty. Not so sure how Ford would warranty an aftermarket tune through their dealerships.

2012YellowBoss said:

CRAP or CARP? No difference! LMAO

GA
Whammer said:

I heard Ford has issued a warning to aftermarket tuners to cease the lopey idle tunes. I think it was under the guise of warranty but it may be that Ford has a patent pending on the lopey idle tune via Track Key.

Vince said:
Whammer said:

Ford's TK has a Ford warranty. Not so sure how Ford would warranty an aftermarket tune through their dealerships.

If Ford supplied the TK tune to the tuner and it was that exact tune that is installed then I see no reason the warranty would be voided. This would be Ford's own tune but supplied via the aftermarket.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
STIG302 said:
12BossKB said:

Welcome to the effects of political bull. I think it will have a negative impact on Ford if they don't deliver. However, I don't plan on parting with my Boss because of it. I will probably not buy another Ford, though. I firmly believe in voting with my money and if a company screws you, then go somewhere else. It's as simple as that in my opinion.

I'll say you're being a little harsh with the not buy another Ford comment. This is something that has never been done before and sadly because Ford looked at as an opportunity, they and us, are getting scrutinized by everyone. I mean I've owned 2 Fords and I've had less problems with both of them then my parents have had with BMWs, Mercedes, Lexuses and Toyotas. Ford I believe is doing everything they can to get this to us because they care about the product they have made and the customers who buy it. We're all very disappointed we don't have the TK yet, but it's not Ford's fault. I mean maybe they could have gone a different route of trying to get it out there to us, but no one could have known have difficult CARB was going to be with this.

TMO Supporting Vendors