The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Time

I try and follow the Boss 302S manual somewhat:

Oil and filter- every 4 hours on-track usage (I do about every two track weekends...sometimes sooner)

Engine Coolant- change annually

Trans fluid- every 4 hours on-track usage (I do about every four track weekends...sometimes sooner)

Rear Diff- every 4 hours on-track usage (I do about every four track weekends...sometimes sooner)

Brake fluid- I do annually, bleed after every track day

Air filter- replace after 12 hours of use (twice a year / I run specific filters for the track and street, both OEM)

Spark plugs- ???? It says 6 hours, but that's on sunoco 260 fuel.... Maybe annually for me, not sure yet.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
Did you get the sliding tethers?
Yep

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious - but you guys do know that the Hans comes with different back sections angles available, right ? I don't know about the standard model, but on the Pro model I don't even know it's there behind me outside of the fact tethers hold back your left/right head angle.

adam81 said:
Spark plugs- ???? It says 6 hours, but that's on sunoco 260 fuel.... Maybe annually for me, not sure yet.

I thought they would last for at least two years but pulled mine and there quite a bit of ash deposit build up on the them. The buildup on the outside of the side electrode was fairly thick. The center electrode at the very tip was not too bad. I am sure they would clean up well for my purposes but I am going to replace them. My car only has 4500 miles on it but most were on track. I burn 1/2 to a quart of oil per day at the track so I doubt anyone not tracking will need to replace them before the recommend intervals.

I need to invest in a good spark plug cleaner and then check every few track days. I think the plugs will hold up over time but need to be cleaned at the very least. Depending on the results I will change them yearly as you mentioned.

CIMG2872.png

adam81 said:
I try and follow the Boss 302S manual somewhat:

Oil and filter- every 4 hours on-track usage (I do about every two track weekends...sometimes sooner)

Engine Coolant- change annually

Trans fluid- every 4 hours on-track usage (I do about every four track weekends...sometimes sooner)

Rear Diff- every 4 hours on-track usage (I do about every four track weekends...sometimes sooner)

Brake fluid- I do annually, bleed after every track day

Air filter- replace after 12 hours of use (twice a year / I run specific filters for the track and street, both OEM)

Thanks for the info, I just looked up that manual. Track day runs are not the same as racing (especially if you aren't running really fast), which I believe is what that manual assumes (hence bleeding brakes every session). The regular 302 supplement says axle every 12 hours, as opposed to 4, so I wonder if it is safe to assume the trans and other stuff is the same for just track day use?

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:
ArizonaGT said:
Did you get the sliding tethers?
Yep

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious - but you guys do know that the Hans comes with different back sections angles available, right ? I don't know about the standard model, but on the Pro model I don't even know it's there behind me outside of the fact tethers hold back your left/right head angle.

It does, but the straightest one I could actually find was a 20 (not the 10). The 20 pushes my helmet far enough forward I had to lean back my seat to compensate which I find rather uncomfortable. I will be getting a 10 when my current one is out of spec. The Boss seats already push my head too far forward in a helmet even without the HANS. I like a straight up seat.

CaliMR said:
Thanks for the info, I just looked up that manual. Track day runs are not the same as racing (especially if you aren't running really fast), which I believe is what that manual assumes (hence bleeding brakes every session). The regular 302 supplement says axle every 12 hours, as opposed to 4, so I wonder if it is safe to assume the trans and other stuff is the same for just track day use?

Feel free to do what you want. I choose, and have been recommended, to follow the 302S maintenance plan relatively close. I think it is safe to assume that if you maintain your track car better and more often you will see better results than if you choose to maintain it less often. However I am a maintenance freak, but it has rewarded me many times over.... You also drive the car on the street where a bunch of miles are being put on the same old fluid. You're the one that asked....

I did ask, and I appreciate the info. 4 hours is 2 track days, which means twice a year in this car. That actually isn't that bad, now that I thought through the numbers, as I was doing it every 3 track weekends in the turbo car (NASA track weekends are about the same total driving as 1 day at our private track days). The costs are just a lot higher as I could do a full flush tranny, diffs, tc, and oil for the cost of just the diff on this car. Time to sack up and just do pay it. Adding trans flush to the dif and oil I was going to do anyways.

Well I'm whipped. Great day, but didn't run faster. A few 1:39s but no 1:36s or 37s like last year. Still need to stiffen up the suspension. The Conti slicks were o.k. and I ran the wheels off the car. 8 sessions and then George asked some of us to give hot laps to the local indoor football league players. They were like "you're crazy man" and all I could say was no, getting slammed into the boards by a 300 lb defensive lineman that wants to kill you is crazy ;D

I'm going to run the R888s tomorrow if we don't get blown out of here by a tornado. Doesn't look pretty.

Hastings4-13-12244.jpg

April13Hastings194.jpg

April13Hastings207.jpg

April13Hastings201.jpg

April13Hastings210.jpg

April13Hastings172.jpg

cloud9 said:
The Conti slicks were o.k. and I ran the wheels off the car.

I felt the same and that was coming from streets, still they are fun and well worth the money. They were good for a second at PBIR and there were some places I could keep my foot to the floor at HMS but as I said in another post, it is not like I could never drive on the 05's again.

What pressure did you run? How did they feel as far as any under/over steer?

drano38

Wayne

Gary,
Looks like you had a good time yesterday.
And hopefully Hastings didn't get the big hail I just heard Norfolk got today.
Be careful on the way home.

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:
The Conti slicks were o.k. and I ran the wheels off the car.

I felt the same and that was coming from streets, still they are fun and well worth the money. They were good for a second at PBIR and there were some places I could keep my foot to the floor at HMS but as I said in another post, it is not like I could never drive on the 05's again.

What pressure did you run? How did they feel as far as any under/over steer?
Once I got them down to 28 hot, they stuck like crazy :D

drano38 said:
Gary,
Looks like you had a good time yesterday.
And hopefully Hastings didn't get the big hail I just heard Norfolk got today.
Be careful on the way home.
We LUCKED out. We left the track about 1 p.m. CDT. We were driving through Norfolk, NE about 4 or so and there were huge piles of hail in the parking lots, etc. It looked really strange. We just turned on the weather channel and they showed literally RIVERS OF HAIL and water flowing through the streets of Norfolk about an hour before we came through. We just missed it.

Now as far as the track day went.....well we truly did have a good time. That said, I just fired off an email to Capaldi Racing and will have the 302S suspension on order this week. Just too much body roll now. I'm really surprised I'm noticing it so much more just coming off winter. I really felt like I was driving a Buick :( I'm sure it's like anything, once you get used to something you want to push it and go further.

As far as lap times, I was only able to turn some 1:39s. I was talking to a couple of the fast Z06 guys and they said they were off a few seconds too since there was absolutely no rubber on the track coming out of winter and it was still relatively cool. I did download Trackmaster on my Droid and it's pretty cool. I need to spend some time going through it but there's tons of capability. (even video Drew ;)) Anyway, one thing it does is display elevation and MPH is at 1932 feet. That explains some of the cooling issues there. I didn't have any issues this weekend though. The highest ECT was in the low 230s and oil in 240s.

28 hot, thats low. I tried the lower pressure and ended up rolling them. When I ran higher I was eating the middles as expected. I need some more time I guess to find the sweet spot, last I tried was around 35.

2012YellowBoss said:
28 hot, thats low. I tried the lower pressure and ended up rolling them. When I ran higher I was eating the middles as expected. I need some more time I guess to find the sweet spot, last I tied was around 35.
I went out at 28 coming off a 20 minute break, so not "cold". I still pushed into the low 30s during the session.

Oh and I forgot one of the funniest events of the weekend. I took Turn 3 a little hot and decided to drive off the exit curbing rather than try and save it and spin like so many people do. I drove for maybe 100 feet and then just drove it back on the track. Well it turns out the World Challenge splitter makes a better lawnmower than Toro. It just scythed through the alfalfa which was fortunately only about a foot high. The downside is some of the clippings sucked right into the brake cooling ducts and was smoldering like Bob Marley. Several people in the paddock said "what's that funny smell? ;D"

It happens. I have gone looking for arrow heads a few times, found a nice one once. Luckily I know the tire guy at the track.

drano38

Wayne

Gary,
I drove home from MPH last August between 2 major thunderstorm cells too--not fun. Would hate to see that new truck hailed on.

Did George charge you for the hay? I think that's in his track damage contract. ;D

Do we need to post links to all of your posts that you're not doing suspension upgrades until someone passes you????? You can blame it on that seat and harness holding you tight so you can now feel the body roll.

Gary, you should have just bought the S & been done with it. You have the shelby for the street & you trailer the Boss anyway. :)

Jza1736 said:
Gary, you should have just bought the S & been done with it. You have the shelby for the street & you trailer the Boss anyway. :)
If I would have bought the S I would probably have still modded it and not be able to drive it on the street anyway :D It's more fun to keep finding the limits then upgrade again. Kind of like getting a new car. Not to mention, I'll probably trade the GT500 next year for a new Mustang and start all over again :-\

cloud9 said:
Jza1736 said:
If I would have bought the S I would probably have still modded it and not be able to drive it on the street anyway :D It's more fun to keep finding the limits then upgrade again. Kind of like getting a new car. Not to mention, I'll probably trade the GT500 next year for a new Mustang and start all over again :-\

I guess that's part of the fun!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel