The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Time

ArizonaGT said:
Andy's car looks like it's back to 100%!

What kind of lap times were you guys turning? I had some good runs with Ron at Chuckwalla!

Yeah, new to me car. If I believe my Harry's timer, my best lap was 1:48.44 with several in the 1:50 range. Previously my best lap was in the 1:52 range so I was pretty happy. This was my first time at LS with the R-S3's and along with non-stock brake pads I was going much deeper into the braking which was a lot of fun. That M3 in the photo was a blast to play with. The guy came over to talk after a great session.

The only issue I had was lockout, which is a bummer since jnathan68 said there were no shifting issues after the new trans was installed. It shifts incredibly well under 6500 so it looks like I'm in the market for a clutch.

The car has H&R race springs, Koni Yellows, M&M C/C's, BMR LCA's and brackets, and the SVE 18x10's with 285's. It's a little low and stiff for the street but was great on track.

On a side note, I bid and was out bid on my old car # 733. I bid $14k and last I saw it was over $15k. Oh well.

This Monday and Tuesday I attended the Phoenix CMR event at Watkins Glen. Lots of Mustangs in attendance including a couple of older Cobras and ten Boss 302's, one of those being a 2013 302S. Had a good couple of days as I ran my best time ever (2:19) on the stock Pirelli P-Zero's and got bumped up to the top class after the first day, although I stayed in run group 2. Even after running a 2:19, I believe I have a second or two left. Not too bad I guess being that this is my third time at the Glen. I just might be able to run a 2:17 next time? I attached a shortened version of my 2:19 run. Some runs are almost 40 minutes!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/exM1CNsVimY[/youtube]

cloud9 said:
Excellent! Congrats on the lap time improvement! Heading out for RA now......praying for dry weather :'(

last weekend's weather at RA was beautiful.. albeit it was a little hot, reaching 90 degrees on sunday.. Who are you going to RA through? I went with MVP last week and had a blast.. looking forward to going back in November... wouldn't mind going again in September if possible!

SC BOSS said:
last weekend's weather at RA was beautiful.. albeit it was a little hot, reaching 90 degrees on sunday.. Who are you going to RA through? I went with MVP last week and had a blast.. looking forward to going back in November... wouldn't mind going again in September if possible!
Northwoods Shelby Club Fr-Su so 3 days to find some dry weather at least. Temps in the 70s which is great but 50-60 chance of rain/storms Fri and Sat. I ran with GTTrackdays.com and the Nordstern PCA there last year. Nordstern's event is mid-July this year I think.

Finally got My Photos up from Memorial day at VIR. Lots of Bosses!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/i459/jza1736/Boss reunion at VIR Superfest 2012

0k6x2862_zpsa6d524b2.jpg

0k6x2860_zps9cc2ca6d.jpg

we need a list/thread of all the Track Time Groups/Clubs and how people enjoyed them.. I've run with MVP and Chin... I enjoyed MVP at RA, but want to get up to Watkins Glen, and a few other tracks that they don't go to.. I'm going to Barber with Chin in July.. VIR with Chin in October, and back to RA with MVP in november..

I'm considering going to the Glen in September with Phoenix CMR.. Anybody attended their track days? What do you think? I am looking for Watkins Glen in Late August or Any time in September if anyone is going.. it's a heck of a haul for me from SC, but it'll definitely be worth the drive!!

SC BOSS said:
which data aquisition/video system are you using?? i definitely need one of these.. is it a traqmate? very cool system!!

I use a GoPro Hero2 for the video and a GTECH Pro Fanatic data to acquire data. The only downside to the GTECH is that it has a small screen so don't plan on viewing it while you are driving at speed. Once I have the data and the video I use Dashware, a computer program, to combine them. Overall, I think it works fine. It is a little complicated to use Dashware. I am sure there are much better systems out there, but I did not have to spend much money for what I have. I think I spent around $200 for Dashware and a used GTECH. Not sure what GoPros are going for now?

As far as running with Phoenix CMR, they are a great group! Lots of run time. If you register early, you can get a garage space. They run a great program. There is always lots of Mustangs too, if that matters.

Very nice lines. I think I need to get a Go Pro and some data logging equipment before my next event. Was at the Glen just before you were for a Porsche club event. Was able to get this video from a fellow Mustang driver who had a '13 Brembo GT and was nice enough to shoot some video of my Boss. Maybe I'll try and make one of the Phoenix CMR events in the future. Nice to see other Bosses there as it's always good to learn how other people are setting up their cars for the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEdHmCbST0c[/youtube]

Took my grandson and a couple of friends to Harris Hill Road last Friday. I wasn't running real hard and this guy in the 911 kind of ran up on me suddenly so I waved him around. Then I decided to run a little harder. I think he started driving in his mirror. I have the stock Pirellis, he had slicks. My passenger is John Garza the bass player for a great little group called the Tejas Brothers.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/H0y5lzN0-6g[/youtube]

Nice driving and take it easy on those poor little Porsche's.

1048890_10201032933659914_1942913209_o.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Nice driving and take it easy on those poor little Porsche's VW's.

Fixed. ;)

Went to Harris Hill Road yesterday for a couple of hours. This is the same track as in Randy's video above, so just watch that and pretend it is from me, too. I took my own video, but I accidentally left the Image Stabilization on, which actually makes the footage from a bumpy track WORSE. That's too bad, because I did a homebrew camera mount that I think some people will like, but my test footage is unwatchable.
  • Random misfire CEL. CHECK
  • 270F oil temps. CHECK
  • Street tires useless after half-a-dozen laps. CHECK
  • Fun? CHECK :)

My friend from India is in town for a couple of months, so I thought it was time to strap him in a car and show him what that was all about. He turned out to be a very cool passenger and by his account he had a great time. That was even after another friend of mine took him for a ride in his Miata and broke his track cherry went for a high-speed off. It was around 100 F yesterday and we had our heads stuck inside helmets for a couple of hours, so why do I look like I'm about to stroke-out and he still looks like a Bollywood movie star? I hate that guy.

Anyway, the CEL (no limp mode this time) lasted until today, so I went by the dealership and showed them. Then I told them about the TSB and asked that it be done when I go in for my new transmission.

drano38

Wayne

Day one complete at the Nord Stern PCA event at BIR.
Rained out first session, second session damp so fairly mellow driving (BIR long course includes the drag strip, so rain and drag strip equals bad).
Afternoon dried out, so 2 good sessions.
The Koni Yellow/Steeda Sport/Whiteline Watts are awesome. Roll and brake dive are hardly noticeable. Maybe not faster, but sure gives me more confidence.
Only got a 2:01 best lap, but I plan to push it up Saturday.
PFC 01 pads seem pretty good too.
Only 60 degrees, so lots of power. I was routinely hitting the speed limiter on the front straight.
Looking forward to a warmer and dry Saturday/Sunday.

drano38 said:
Day one complete at the Nord Stern PCA event at BIR.
Rained out first session, second session damp so fairly mellow driving (BIR long course includes the drag strip, so rain and drag strip equals bad).
Afternoon dried out, so 2 good sessions.
The Koni Yellow/Steeda Sport/Whiteline Watts are awesome. Roll and brake dive are hardly noticeable. Maybe not faster, but sure gives me more confidence.
Only got a 2:01 best lap, but I plan to push it up Saturday.
PFC 01 pads seem pretty good too.
Only 60 degrees, so lots of power. I was routinely hitting the speed limiter on the front straight.
Looking forward to a warmer and dry Saturday/Sunday.
Hope you guys had a great time today and best of luck tomorrow. Here's the video from my ONE session :'( I'm pinching Turn 10 coming into the front straight so I can ride down the crowned middle OFF the VHT since there was a little moisture. I basically was short shifting into 4th coming out of 10. I usually track out almost into the grandstands and grab 4th at the burnout box but I didn't want to be shifting or accelerating through the VHT. You'll hear me grab 5th when I get past the VHT.... First lap is under caution then probably running about 7 or 8 tenths ASSuming I'll get another 10 sessions this weekend :p

[youtube]http://youtu.be/84dAqJzmiJA[/youtube]

drano38

Wayne

BIR day 2 - still some light rain on and off :mad:
Slowed us down on several opening sessions, but overall a good day.
A few team Mustang problems (blown tire, blown driveshaft boot, and I got by with a code into limp mode). BTW, when the middle driveshaft boot blows, and all that oil/grease hits the exhaust, it creates a LOT of white smoke--I saw it from 3/4 mile away.
Each of us got into an even chase with Porsche's--not the fastest laps, but sure is fun seeing how our cars differ in the turns and on the straights, but overall, being very close to equal.
I picked up a couple low 1:59s today. Would be great to break into 1:58 territory Sunday morning.

TMO Supporting Vendors