The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

We did not buy our Cars for fuel mileage , but...............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Prices from my local Mobil station (which is always on the high side), according to GasBuddy
1701157343477.png
and the Cumberland Farms one town over
1701157618921.png
So wide variation in price wirhin 15 or so miles, and Top Tier (tm) brand vs generic.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
I am a stubborn old coot, I guess. Still driving my 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9. Diesel is $5.29ish around hear. Tow an Outdoors RV 270 RLS and it gets about 12 towing and around 18 empty. Has 211k on it and it’s not for sale. Recently looked at a ‘23 Ram 2500 Quadcab 4x4 at a car show and the window sticker said 106k! Ford was there and for a similar truck the window said 86k. Oh, hell, throw on some tax, license, dealer prep, and whatever else!
No, I love the sound of my old Cummins. With what I have done it has plenty of grunt. I may not have a backup camera and heated steering wheel but I have also not had a truck payment for 20 years. For you all who have bought new trucks, congratulations. I hope that they serve you well. But, I hope to still be driving my old Dodge until I get the heat treatment. And I pray to Him that it is a good long time off.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am a stubborn old coot, I guess. Still driving my 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9. Diesel is $5.29ish around hear. Tow an Outdoors RV 270 RLS and it gets about 12 towing and around 18 empty. Has 211k on it and it’s not for sale. Recently looked at a ‘23 Ram 2500 Quadcab 4x4 at a car show and the window sticker said 106k! Ford was there and for a similar truck the window said 86k. Oh, hell, throw on some tax, license, dealer prep, and whatever else!
No, I love the sound of my old Cummins. With what I have done it has plenty of grunt. I may not have a backup camera and heated steering wheel but I have also not had a truck payment for 20 years. For you all who have bought new trucks, congratulations. I hope that they serve you well. But, I hope to still be driving my old Dodge until I get the heat treatment. And I pray to Him that it is a good long time off.
I am still driving and towing with my stock 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins i special ordered in the fall of 1998. It still does fine st 280,000 miles. Once in awhile a little more grunt would be nice in the mountains. What have you done to increase power on yours?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Prices from my local Mobil station (which is always on the high side), according to GasBuddy
View attachment 91499
and the Cumberland Farms one town over
View attachment 91500
So wide variation in price wirhin 15 or so miles, and Top Tier (tm) brand vs generic.
I have 20 gas stations in a 3 mile radius from my home. I usually survey the prices on a errand and hit the low price station on the way home. The BP station that is less then a mile away is usually the cheapest. Today selling at $2.89, the Mobil across the street is usually priced the same or slightly higher, everyone else is at $3.12 to $3.30. Premium prices can have a very large spread between stations and ethanol free premium is even worse. Not unusual for ethanol free premium to be a buck a gallon higher then regular. 2 of my vehicles require premium and I burn premium in my F150 EcoBoost when towing.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Go to Mobil as it is Top Tier whereas BP is not --- surprising but true.
Not in for an argument, but..........Top Tier is more of a "Brand Advertisement". My BP guy says their products meets or exceeds "Top Tier" standards, BP just won't pay for the privilege to put "Top Tier" stickers on their pumps.
I tend to buy most of my fuel from Kwik Trip or BP in my area as they carry ethanol free premium and only a mile or less away. It is kind of odd how these two stations in my neighborhood are almost always .20-.25 cheaper then the other stations. Lastly Costco or Sams Club is usually cheaper but any savings is ate up by driving ten miles to get there and the lines sometimes are ridiculous.
My only other biznitch with fuel is filling the F150, many stations require two or three fills as there are dollar limits and then the morons at Discover cancel my card because they think these may be fraudulent purchases. Who would swipe twice or three times to fill up their vehicle, duh, almost any pickup buying diesel or premium.

When I bought My Boss, I wasn't concerned with the MPG ratings.......I just wanted a car that could GO!!!!!!!!!!!.....and That's what I got and still enjoy............one minute snow flurry just passed by.......first one this fall/winter season!...........only in the 30's today...Boss is comfy in the garage.....................

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Top Tier fuels are detergent added to help with the changing engine technologies and it has been a standard since the early 2000s. Look up the reasoning , but some Fuel Companies have just decided to stop adding detergents and honestly for BP to say it is as good as TopTier is illogical, because if it met the standards it would want to promote it -- especially since it used to be. Sunoco is another fuel that surprisingly is no longer TopTier and like BP is seemed the decision to cease the detergent mixture was implemented during the Pandemic.

I bought diesel at $3.899 in Rockford il today. It’s $3.359 down in MS. I miss the low fuel costs.
Downers grove today…..sadly the 23 pcm doesnt accept the dealer changing the forscan pids for the bigger tank. I got 850miles this first testIMG_6997.jpeg
i chose BP for my fleet because i feel theyre the best. My techs are only allowed to use 93 in ALL of our vehicles. (Its in their employee handbook).

diesel i use BP with motorcraft cetane boost. If im by truck stop with the fast fill pumps #2, i go there.
god i wish we had bucee’s

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Top Tier fuels are detergent added to help with the changing engine technologies and it has been a standard since the early 2000s. Look up the reasoning , but some Fuel Companies have just decided to stop adding detergents and honestly for BP to say it is as good as TopTier is illogical, because if it met the standards it would want to promote it -- especially since it used to be. Sunoco is another fuel that surprisingly is no longer TopTier and like BP is seemed the decision to cease the detergent mixture was implemented during the Pandemic.
Perhaps Sunoco and BP decided they would not spend the money for an ad campaign.

Sunoco's website still claims Top Tier fuels:
"Sunoco Fuels meet the demands of high-performance drivers and the specifications of the Top Tier Detergent standards. Its enhanced gasoline detergency helps keep engines clean and ensures compliance with tight vehicle emissions requirements. Sunoco Fuels have the same detergent level as our NASCAR® fuel and helps your car run cleaner, longer, and more efficiently."

From BP's website:
Does bp's gasoline meet TOP TIER™ detergent gasoline standards?
All grades of bp/Amoco gasoline with Invigorate® exceed TOP TIER™ detergent requirements and provide enhanced benefits to our consumers, such as cleaning your engine,3 that TOP TIER™ fuels do not.

Top Tier licensing:
"Gas brands can participate and get a TOP TIER license if they meet certain standards, which includes performance tests for intake valve and combustion chamber deposits, fuel injector fouling, and intake valve sticking. Additive manufacturers pay for the testing, the cost of which varies from year to year, while gasoline companies pay an annual fee based on the number of stations it operates to participate in the program."

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
I am still driving and towing with my stock 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins i special ordered in the fall of 1998. It still does fine st 280,000 miles. Once in awhile a little more grunt would be nice in the mountains. What have you done to increase power on yours?
Rv275 injectors, BHAF air filter, programmer, and 4” exhaust w/pack brake. Programmer makes for one gear difference in the hills (6speed +HO engine). I often run with stock airbox and programmer off because it will roll a bit of coal if I really get on it. That could be rectified with a larger turbo, but where I live that is a no no because some bubblehead who read a book thinks they are the savior of Mother Earth. It pulls 11k pretty strong and like I said, haven’t had a truck payment in 20 years. Trucks are like jeans and boots, when the fit right you just don’t change brands and the worn ones are the most comfortable.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I still find it odd both of those companies will state they exceed the Automotive Manufacturer Standards yet they both dropped out of Top Tier listings ............hence no actual engine testing, so who knows? I will continue to use Shell and others in my cars as that means independent testing has been done.

Yet, Ford of the UK does recommend BP Ultimate Premium for their cars, so there is one Manufacturer recommending one octane level in Europe. There is a new marketing deal with Ford to note they recommend BP fuels , which is a good move for BP as their stock has not been on a rocket course for awhile and there has been speculation for awhile they are a possible takeover company. Good move for them more so than Ford, and it remains to be seen if they reestablish Top Tier status as Ford has been a long proponent of that. Gas caps in the US will read " Ford recommends BP fuels ."

Lots of interesting stuff going on so looks like I opened a can of worms in a couple different areas, ha. I will still go with my long time Corporate Manufacturer Engineer friends long time advice to just use TopTier fuels and who knows with the Ford recommendation maybe they will elect to reestablish?

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors