The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

NFSBOSS said:
Cool. How much more room do you have?

Quite a bit in the front, probably pulled the fender out close to half inch on each side. Should clear the 315s without any issue.
Rears are more difficult to pull out since it's a pinch joint for the inner and outer wheelhouse sheets, maybe a quarter inch each side there.

Swiss Boss said:
Compared to the Rival or the Dunlop according to tire rack.

I'm really looking at the Dunlop if the Rival are not available but might end up with the RS-3 due to the better size and lower cost. Hard choice.

For Tire Rack's warm weather test, the Hankooks and Yoks did better than the Dunlops.

The Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec felt adequate, but under these conditions could not match the grip of the Hankook and Yokohama tires. The g-Force Rival didn't have the traction to match the others, feeling edgy as it reached the limit.

BFG also has a new Rival S coming out in a month or so.

What did you do to your boss today?

El Jefe said:
For Tire Rack's warm weather test, the Hankooks and Yoks did better than the Dunlops.

The Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec felt adequate, but under these conditions could not match the grip of the Hankook and Yokohama tires. The g-Force Rival didn't have the traction to match the others, feeling edgy as it reached the limit.

BFG also has a new Rival S coming out in a month or so.

This was on a wet surface. On the dry both Dunlop and Rival have better handling.

I think the RS-3 is a better all around tire compare to the other. It sacrifice some of the dry handling to improve wet handling.

The Yoko are too expensive compared to the other.
(In the size to mount on a 18x10)

In the end it will still be the driver choice about how the tire react with their car setting and how they drive.

I've read reviews of the Rival that said they were sloppy and vague and for me I have a very good feeling with them.

Swiss Boss said:
This was on a wet surface. On the dry both Dunlop and Rival have better handling.

You're right, I misread the article. I have the AD08s (non R) that need to be replaced but I'm waiting for reviews on the RE-71R and Rival S.

finally put in my MGW race spec. I will echo others comments in the fact that the upper mounting bolt and boot were a real PITA. Need to get some miles on it now. Also added the alcantara shift boot

20150308_101254.jpg

6b4590a5-abd5-420c-96b2-1ee354fc6667.jpg

Installed new Pagid RS29/56 brake pads, flushed the brake fluid with Motul RBF 600, installed track wheels and did general prep for my first track day of the season Sat March 14th. Pete has been trying to get me to go to a more aggressive pad combo but I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. My car is a weekend warrior so having the RS29/56 not make a lot of noise on the street is a big plus for me and saves a lot of time swapping pads back and fourth.

Oh and I finished my wheel spats.

IMG_5314_zpstfnz6ucv.jpg
IMG_5312_zps6kjb148k.jpg
IMG_5309_zpsbnjam8oa.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Looking good. Are you going to install the Alcantara parking brake boot too?

yes, sir. already have it, just wasnt sure how much farther i had to dig into that console to get to it. the mgw took me a little longer than i wanted it to!

Bent my two driver's side Forgestars on a severe pavement transition on the freeway yesterday. Thankfully, the tires are still holding air for now but I can't find my wheel lock key. Just one of those days, I guess!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Champale said:
Bent my two driver's side Forgestars on a severe pavement transition on the freeway yesterday. Thankfully, the tires are still holding air for now but I can't find my wheel lock key. Just one of those days, I guess!

Outch, that is a shame and sorry to read about that hit. Must have been a heck of a pavement transition. Glad your ok and didn't blow out a tire or two, that could have been ugly.

Good luck,
Dave
302 HP

Champale said:

Ouch! Which model forgestars and series tires did you have?
We have a few bad asphalt to concrete transitions over here as well on the highway... I don't feel it in my Camry, but it hurts my butt and heart in the mustang. I have F14's, gotta keep an eye on them.

Thank you guys. I have 19x10 CF5s all around with 285/35 RE-11s. This particular highway has really gotten bad recently and it looks like the pavement seam is displaced a great deal right now. Front wheel got buckled right next to a spoke, rear wheel isn't as bad but it definitely has a flat spot now.

When I hit the seam (which I obviously didn't know was there), it was loud as hell, compressed my KWs to the bumpstops, and I swore it must have torn the whole underside of the car up because it was such a violent hit. Like I said in my earlier post, thankfully they are still holding air and I still have my OE wheels and tires so I can swap them out if I could just find my darned lugnut key.

Finally swapped the factory diff fluid and trans fluid for redline stuff. Anyone else who has swapped the diff themselves, did you notice a weird minty note from the foul smelling fluid?

TMO Supporting Vendors