The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

First off Thank You for your commitment to this country.

When you return you will get that new bad ass car feeling all over again. I hope your time goes quickly.

drano38

Wayne

SpaceBoss said:
Drove the Boss (and my 65) before putting them in storage for a year. Will miss driving them while deployed.

+1, thanks for your service. Keep your cranium down, and stay safe.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Black Boss said:
Fired the car up with the Long Tube Headers and Off Road H-pipe.

Need to check the torque on all the bolts tomorrow after heat cycling, then headed to the Track, Friday to check out the mods.....

Will this include the header to cylinder head flange bolts? If so will you have to disassemble everything to get to them? I will do headers soon, so this is good information.
Thanks,
Dave
302 HP

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

302 Hi Pro said:
Will this include the header to cylinder head flange bolts? If so will you have to disassemble everything to get to them? I will do headers soon, so this is good information.
Thanks,
Dave
302 HP

Yes per Kooks recommendation. I put the K-Member back, but didn't loctite or torque the bolts for that or the Engine Mounts or re-attach the Lower Ball joints and tie rods. Took about 3 hours to drop the K-member and Engine mounts again, re torque and and re-assemble everything including the Ball joints and tie rods -- it's a lot quicker second time around. About half the header bolts each side needed to be re-torqued.....

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Black Boss said:
Yes per Kooks recommendation. I put the K-Member back, but didn't loctite or torque the bolts for that or the Engine Mounts or re-attach the Lower Ball joints and tie rods. Took about 3 hours to drop the K-member and Engine mounts again, re torque and and re-assemble everything including the Ball joints and tie rods -- it's a lot quicker second time around. About half the header bolts each side needed to be re-torqued.....

Very good to know, I will plan for this when I install my Kooks Super Street Headers, (Shorties). Thanks so much for the information.
Good Luck with your Boss this year,
Dave
302 Hi Pro.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

PTRocks said:
Had a very Good(wood) day... :)

-boss-302-week-tmp_30653-20150508_1249221062868683.jpg

The whole "move to England" thing is working out well for you :)

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

PTRocks said:
It's not too bad. :p Best part was meeting and marrying a lovely lass... :)

PTR:

Were you in the boat when the boat tipped over?

LMK
Davis
302 HP

I got my car back from the shop finally. Now to break in the clutch and get prepped for VIR. BTW, the car was at the shop for 1 month and a week. Hence why i'm so happy.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Went to the track with the headers installed. Car is now very noisy and pulls harder from 4000 rpm. Beat my best time by 0.6s and today was on narrower rubber (Contis versus R6's last fall). Good news as Grattan isn't really a power track.

Weird thing is the car didn't throw a CEL without the Cats..... The Off Road H-pipe has O2 bungs so the sensors are in place, but I threw codes with a slightly leaky header/Cat joint a while back.....

Black Boss said:
Went to the track with the headers installed. Car is now very noisy and pulls harder from 4000 rpm. Beat my best time by 0.6s and today was on narrower rubber (Contis versus R6's last fall). Good news as Grattan isn't really a power track.

Weird thing is the car didn't throw a CEL without the Cats..... The Off Road H-pipe has O2 bungs so the sensors are in place, but I threw codes with a slightly leaky header/Cat joint a while back.....

Tuned at all?

Black Boss said:
Just the Red Track key. I was anticipating the need for a tune to disable the rear O2 sensors and eliminate the CEL, but it looks like I can skip that!

Nice, it may still throw a CEL you may also just be lucky.

Black Boss said:
Just the Red Track key. I was anticipating the need for a tune to disable the rear O2 sensors and eliminate the CEL, but it looks like I can skip that!

You would be the first to have this happen to that I've heard of. But I always say...If it's not borke dont fix it it. Good luck and please keep the boards posted.

TMSBOSS said:
Finished the RST clutch install with the relearn.

Clutch is amazing. I am amazed at how light the clutch pedal effort is.

Splitter is next, then VIR.
Good deal. I wasn't sure what to expect from installing a WC splitter but my car feels so balanced right now I think it made a difference. It will be interesting to see if you notice a difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors