The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

I dont want to beat this to death.
I'm stating my concerns to try and add to the OP choice of support rod location.
I have no concerns about the spread of the support rods.
Its the angle that they are placed.
All of the stress is on the hinged part of the rods which has a greater chance of floding back or buckleing. Its like taking a pencile and try to break it straight foward. Then put the pencile at an angle and see what it takes to break it, along with a hinged connection. If you could lock the hinge part of the rod it would not be so bad. As for the Viper, I rather see 4 support rods than 2 at those angles any day. Angles play a huge part on how something has to carry the stress load placed upon it!
Thank you and not trying to ruffel anyone.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Maybe some numbers would help... :)

On the low side, a 1/4"-20 aluminum fastener would hold over 1,750 lb. in tension. Reduce that to about 70% for a 45º angle or lets just say half at 875 lb. vertical point load. You've got two and that's ignoring any strength of the splitter in bending...so the two stanchions should easily hold a load of 1,750 lb. of downforce. So I don't think there's a problem with the stanchion strength, unless you go to really shallow angles like less than 30º from horizontal.

I do agree that 4 supports would be better than 2, in this application. I think the failure would be more likely to be pulling out of the splitter than breaking a stanchion.

Unfortunately, the likely failure due to using a splitter is making contact with something like curbing, and typically the whole bumper just rips off. :eek:

I hope that clears things up. :)

I guess I cant even try to explain myself with out any numbers that you require.
You win and sorry for trying to give some input to maybe help someone. I retract any thing I said about the angle of the support rods on jhayes84 car.
I just want to close with.
If the angle of those support rods are correct than I guess Ford's Boss 302LS / Boss302S and Boss302R and many race teams have gotton it wrong. :eek:
Again sorry for any confusion.
Good Day.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

:( I think *I'm* the one not explaining myself well.

I absolutely appreciate that you would express your opinion and concern for another members car. Which I think is cool. And I totally see the helpful intention.

I'm just looking at the issue differently, and I'm sorry for getting geeky on you with the numbers.

Superhero, I see where you are coming from and I have seen that the support brackets I bought have the potential to bend at the point of contact where the mounting bolt carriage and the hinged bolt connect. I am making some modifications to relieve some tension from them which I believe will help. If not I have found another supporting rod that looks much beefier and should hold up properly.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on my clutch dis-engagement issue. While none of the suggestions turned out to solve the issue, they did narrow down the problem -- once again a great tribute to BMO. Turned out that Exedy had shipped the clutch with the primary friction plate in the wrong orientation. Reversing the plate fixed the issue.

That was the good news. The bad news is that while bedding in the clutch today, it became clear that I'm about to lose 3rd gear. It engages with rev matching with slow shifts, but with spirited driving 3rd grinds badly on both up and down shifts. My guess is that the clutch failure accelerated failure of the weak transmission.

So I'm now thinking through the options a) a relatively low cost Getrag swap, versus the b) "bullet proof" Magnum upgrade......

Black Boss said:
First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on my clutch dis-engagement issue. While none of the suggestions turned out to solve the issue, they did narrow down the problem -- once again a great tribute to BMO. Turned out that Exedy had shipped the clutch with the primary friction plate in the wrong orientation. Reversing the plate fixed the issue.

That was the good news. The bad news is that while bedding in the clutch today, it became clear that I'm about to lose 3rd gear. It engages with rev matching with slow shifts, but with spirited driving 3rd grinds badly on both up and down shifts. My guess is that the clutch failure accelerated failure of the weak transmission.

So I'm now thinking through the options a) a relatively low cost Getrag swap, versus the b) "bullet proof" Magnum upgrade......

Good to know it was nothing major. But you forgot an option c ;-)

Beat the MT-82 to death and upgrade to the Tremec 3160 from the GT350

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

installed the shelby Quad-tip exhaust. a little deeper sound than the single tip shelby muffler.

4b89fb6a38a266ee37d286d3fa85df92_zpsrthdkshz.jpg
e1f8b7f488789511ca40a3a9da3aa33f_zpsadqgdxvb.jpg
fe81100fb81fb8f484b5cc0b70afb886_zpstedy0cqr.jpg
ef8889f442b36a79365bf63bd9292262_zpsrujnbtrg.jpg

Soundclip:
http://1drv.ms/1G2eyl9

Since they're for the track, won't matter much :p
But I think you made the right color choice on the F14's, they look great!

Rob you'll forget all about the looks after one session and realize how sticky they are for street legal tires. 8)

drano38

Wayne

+1, those wheels look great on the black Cobra.

Today, I removed my track wheels/PFC08 brake pads and put the stock wheels and PFC street pads on.

TMO Supporting Vendors