The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

302 Hi Pro said:
Swiss Boss:

I like these fasteners, but I was not comfortable with how the small size of the bolt head mated up to the slot used by Kooks in their header flange. (The supplied washers and retaining clips fit over the head of the bolt once installed, and it just didn't seem to fit right with the slot.)

I do really like the product concept, but how did you find the fit with the header flange slot v. a header flange bolt hole found on non Kooks headers?

Thanks so much,
302 Hi Pro

I had to return my stage 8 locking bolts as the fit was just not comfortable and went with the Kooks supplied fasteners. The anti-spin feature of the D washer would not work with this set up, defeating the purpose.

Ordered some FRPP/Borla 'Touring' axlebacks to maybe replace my GT500s. I love the sound of the GT500s but wanted to try something a little different and several vendors are having clearance prices for the Tourings at about 60% off MSRP (I ordered mine from Don Wood Ford). Plus, they apparently weigh 8-10lbs less per side than the GT500s.

302 Hi Pro said:
Swiss Boss:

I like these fasteners, but I was not comfortable with how the small size of the bolt head mated up to the slot used by Kooks in their header flange. (The supplied washers and retaining clips fit over the head of the bolt once installed, and it just didn't seem to fit right with the slot.)

I do really like the product concept, but how did you find the fit with the header flange slot v. a header flange bolt hole found on non Kooks headers?

Thanks so much,
302 Hi Pro

So far no problems after a a year and half.
I haven't thought much on the mating surface between the bolt and flange.

Installing the locking clip can be a PITA on some of the less accessible bolts but I did install all of them.
Also I had to tighten some bolts a little bit more in order to clear the tube in order to install the clip.
I'll try to post a picture once I get back from vacation.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

302 Hi Pro said:
Good luck and I look forward to reading your update posts,
All the Best,
Dave
302 Hi Pro
@302 Hi Pro
Dave: Great info for all and thanks for this confirmation. I haven't dug into the associated hardware in the boxes yet but I'll do that tonight.
I bought OEM gaskets...now you have me wondering if I should use the Kooks ones or not. Hrm...

I went and bought a pair of 15mm ratcheting box-end, flex-head ratchets for this job. One normal length and one stubby. Those, combined with a lot of cursing should make this job go as smoothly as possible...

Thanks again :)

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Bought FRPP rear wheel studs and front wheel hub and studs for the front - the ones used on the FR500S - I stripped out one of the OEM rear stud on the passenger side and it was tyme for an upgrade anyways...

ArizonaBOSS said:
@302 Hi Pro
Dave: Great info for all and thanks for this confirmation. I haven't dug into the associated hardware in the boxes yet but I'll do that tonight.
I bought OEM gaskets...now you have me wondering if I should use the Kooks ones or not. Hrm...

I went and bought a pair of 15mm ratcheting box-end, flex-head ratchets for this job. One normal length and one stubby. Those, combined with a lot of cursing should make this job go as smoothly as possible...

Thanks again :)

I ended up reusing the stock studs with my Kooks heads and install wasn't an issue although I can see how big of a pain in the ass it could be with the stock studs when you are under the car.

For me, I couldn't get enough power to use the hammer method because of my brake cooling ducts placement. They just wouldn't let me get enough oomph behind the swing to knock them out of place so I used the fork tool. In about 15 seconds I had it off. Super easy ;D

Also, this would be awesome to have when doing a header swap or oil pan upgrade or whatever.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Engine-Support-Beam-2005-2014-Mustang-P1505.aspx

fAssets%2fstore_images%2ftools%2fMMT-11_detail1_LG.jpg

Bruce the LS splitter looks sharp on your Boss. Sorry I missed the drive this year but my wife didn't want me burning up the tires on her Fusion!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Completed the Kooks header install (no leaks!) and made some custom brake line ends for the motorsport connections on the 15" Brembo calipers. Car is incredibly loud now on-throttle.

I hope to have the hats for the front brakes in-hand by Wednesday then get them on and then get the car to the Dyno on Friday.
Fingers crossed!

Got a new battery for my Boss. Thankfully, the OE died while at home so it was really easy to handle.

By the way, my factory battery was wrapped with some insulation 'quilt' that literally disintegrated in my hands when I removed it from the battery. My car only has 6800 miles. Should I buy a new 'quilt'??

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Champale said:
Got a new battery for my Boss. Thankfully, the OE died while at home so it was really easy to handle.

By the way, my factory battery was wrapped with some insulation 'quilt' that literally disintegrated in my hands when I removed it from the battery. My car only has 6800 miles. Should I buy a new 'quilt'??

Yes, you should as it may help to insulate the battery from the under hood engine heat. But, there maybe better alternatives out there.

I have a 2012, (November 2011 production), and had removed my battery last July during my Header install, so far the battery blanket was holding up ok. But I'll have to keep an eye on it next year.

302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Champale said:

I used Thermo-tec 13200 to insulate my battery and it works great.

Thank you for the suggestions, guys! Last night I found an OE blanket for cheap so it should be here later this week. I like that Thermo-tec suggestion, too. It was really weird how degraded mine was, the black plastic(?) fabric surrounding the actually felt-like insulation pads had literally turned to dust. Made a mess!

Anyway, thank you again. As a former Kona Blue Boss owner, I especially like your cars!

Re: Dyno Run

Got a dyno run today. My car is stock sound tube and everything. only mods are a jlt oil separator and MGW race spec shifter. It had 377 hp with the silver key and 378 with the red key. Torque was 312 with both keys. This is right where it should be 15% drive train loss. I am happy!

Took off my GT500 axlebacks and installed some FRPP/Borla 'Touring' ones. Compared to the GT500s, they are quite a bit lighter, have a fatter and longer tip, and the sound is slightly louder and deeper with zero drone. I thought the GT500s had the perfect sound, but these Tourings are even better (my side pipes are fully open).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel