The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do when it's less than 40 degrees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It must be broken. My iPhone app shows 3 degrees in Sioux Falls. :eek:

98RedGT

2012 #552
yep, way below 40 in Nebraska and a few inches of fresh snow this weekend. cover is on the boss and officially in storage until spring :(

Those who live in cold climates will find this funny...

For the past 20 years I've always had my daily driver parked in a garage. With my Boss in the garage my HRC Odyssey gets parked outside and this morning was the first sub 32 degree we've had this Fall. It doesn't drop below freezing too many days here in the Sacramento area maybe 10 times a year. I used an ice scraper to clean the windshield when I started my car this morning. Not thinking about it

wait for it

I used my windshield washer thinking it would help clear the windshield. You guessed it the fluid froze and I had to scrap the windshield again. :-[

MLM

Mike
5 DOT 0 said:
ArizonaGT said:
Do you use the de-icing style fluid?
What's that? ;)

Live and learn? ;)

My Avalanche has heated washer fluid. Unnecessary but convenient. Yes the OEM unit was recalled twice but I got an improved aftermarket version which produces a little less heat. Good for about 25F to 32F, and for getting bugs off during the rest of the year. Below about 20F it doesn't do much i.e. it just freezes on contact so no use there. That's what remote start is for. ;D

I checked out the gallon of windshield washer fluid I have in the garage & it says it's good til 25 below zero, so you should never form ice when using it I would think unless it got diluted in the car along the way?

26F here in DFW this morning. The Boss made it to work and back with no issues. It's my DD so it will have to make it a few snow days as well.

I have stayed away from this thread but because it keeps making it to the top of the page I have to ask a question to the question

"What to do when it's less than 40 degrees"

Why would you even go outside, let alone drive a car in that? :eek: ;D

302BOB said:
zwede, Are you noticing any loss of grip when the outside temp is below 30 degrees? I was thinking 35/40 degrees would be the cutoff temp for taking my Boss out.

Yes, there is less grip but it's not like it's just going to go sailing out into a field or something. Normal driving I don't notice anything, it's if I intentionally try to brake traction I notice it's a it's much easier when it's cold. I'm used to it as I have driven cars with "max perf summer" tires year round for years.

The only time summer-only tires are completely worthless are on packed snow and ice. Those days (3-4 days/year) I just stay home.

TMO Supporting Vendors