The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel well forward molding extension buring from side pipes on my LS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm not sure about affecting the tires. I would think that would have come out in their testing but who knows. My front tires wear much faster than my rears on the Boss.

I put on Corsa Extremes and the amount of exhaust coming out of the sides has been greatly reduced. There is significant back pressure forcing much more exhaust out the side pipes when uncorked. You can also drop about 30lbs which just an axle back swap 8)

PeteInCT said:
You expect any powe increase ? How does it change the exhaust tone ?
Sounds amazing. I get so many compliments on the exhaust. Corsa says 5-7 hp which I would believe given the reduction in back pressure. I didn't do before and after dynos on it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
And a decent price too. Hmmmmmmm.... ;D How was the fitment? Just cut and bolt in ?

cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
Sounds amazing. I get so many compliments on the exhaust. Corsa says 5-7 hp which I would believe given the reduction in back pressure. I didn't do before and after dynos on it.
That sounds about right as I've heard the GT500 axelbacks add 3-5 HP and are more restrictive than the Corsas.

Great tech on the deflectors. I wondered about needing them after I added the quad pipes to my car. Since I had KR mufflers out back before I added the quads, I have nothing to baseline the flow out of them.

With no attenuation plates in place, I notice very little flow from the quad tips - but absolutely love the added growl. I've noticed the heat transferred to the nearby tire and it get concentrated in one specific area with the vehicle not moving. In fact, I notice a bit of condensation at the leading edge of the outside wheel face. I too wondered if over time the added heat concentration has any sort of effect on the tires.

I wish Shawn could comment here.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
Mark Wilson told me last summer at VIR that there's no back pressure once you remove the side exhaust restrictors. You're just changing the tone of the noise with axle-back mufflers once the plates are gone.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
Ah - it makes more sense now!

Stock mufflers with no restrictor plates in the side exhaust will more than likely result in in melted deflectors (and perhaps chunks out of the rear Pirelli Corsas) . An after-market exhaust will allow more flow out of the rear of the car than the sides.

I ran my street Boss on the track for two days with after-market mufflers (FRPP GT500s). The deflectors are fine (still today). I ran my LS on the track one day this fall with the stock mufflers. The deflectors are melted.

Bottom line: take the restrictor plates out of the side exhaust and back pressure is reduced to a minimum, so then it's just a matter of where do you want your hot exhaust gas to come out - the rear through after-market mufflers or the sides where things (deflectors or tires) might get heated up past design tolerance.

I had heard they changed the type of plastic in these at some point because the early cars were melting them, don't know if that is true. I have No. 6 and had mine on until recently running 7/8 inch discs. There is a little spot on the passenger side that started to melt but not all the way through.

I doubt this has anything to do with flow. I think it is more the radiant heat coming off the pipes themselves or the pipes not being adjusted correctly and are too close. When I got my Boss the right side pipe was crooked, the dealer fixed it but it made me look into it and you can adjust the pipes quite a bit by loosening the long bolt with the clamp attached. I readjusted mine to fit nice and level.

Dig-It said:
Ah - it makes more sense now!

Stock mufflers with no restrictor plates in the side exhaust will more than likely result in in melted deflectors (and perhaps chunks out of the rear Pirelli Corsas) . An after-market exhaust will allow more flow out of the rear of the car than the sides.

I ran my street Boss on the track for two days with after-market mufflers (FRPP GT500s). The deflectors are fine (still today). I ran my LS on the track one say this fall with the stock mufflers. The deflectors are melted.

Bottom line: take the restrictor plates out of the side exhaust and back pressure is reduced to a minimum, so then it's just a matter of where do you want your hot exhaust gas to come out - the rear through after-market mufflers or the sides where things (deflectors or tires) might get heated up past design tolerance.
That sounds about right.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
That sounds about right as I've heard the GT500 axelbacks add 3-5 HP and are more restrictive than the Corsas.

I have the GT500 axlebacks on my 5.0, part # M-5230-MGTCA1. They sound great and totally changed the sound for the better. You get that classic muscle car sound when you lift on the gas pedal. It was part of the FRPP Power pack that included a calibration and K&N air filter, which added 16 HP. I'm sure the mufflers contributed.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Dot - Maybe, it couldn't hurt. I was hoping they were totally flat pieces b4 I took them off. Something to think about over the winter._@

Dig-It said:
This may be coincidental, but I noticed that some folks that have removed them are also experiencing rear tire failures in the form of the center tread coming apart in chunks. Could there be too much heat from the exhaust pouring on to the rear tire at prolonged WOT?

I took my side deflectors off and have open side pipes. Yes, my rear tires chucked out but so did my front. So I'm not sure that the extra heat had anything to do with it.

This is what they looked like after the first track day at Hastings. They look a little worse now after a couple of days at VIR. I could really tell the difference in grip at VIR, it was like they been worn out from too many heat cycles.

2011-10-01_17-18-45_976.png
2011-10-01_17-18-19_620.png

PeteInCT said:
Anyone see this happen ? Noticed it today while cleaning car, only happened on the right side. Looks like exhaust gasses from the side pipe melted the extenion on the wheel well forward molding.

could you throw a strip or 2 of metal tape on there? Y'know, not duct tape, but the stiff shiney aluminum(?) tape.
I'm thinking it would help reflect heat off, and at the very least provide a bit of barrier between the exhaust gasses and the plastic.
Might be easier than trying to fabricate an entire aluminum piece to replace the plastic bit.

I put metal tape on mine, and painted the tape black after this posting, mine are fine right now, hope they stay that way. I did double the tape up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel