The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel well forward molding extension buring from side pipes on my LS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cool. I personally think it has something to do with taking the restrictor plates out. As for the camaro Don't you just love the face you get when you do it 2 them?

Sounds like if the side plates are left in, melting won't be an issue. I took my plates out the first week I got my BOSS but I haven't had any melting issues either (2400 miles now). I believe that's because I haven't run my BOSS at constant high speeds for any length of time.....just the occasional get on it & smile routine..........

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
Has anyone figured out a good option for slicks?

I've heard continental slick takeoffs are the way to go, if you can find em...

I have a set sitting in my garage now, will let you know more about em in January/February.

Otherwise see if you can get Hoosier R80s in your size.

Conti challenge slicks work well. I run them on the M3. They take a couple of laps to come up to temp, wear like iron, like heat and very progressive slip angle. Best part I can get them for $50 to $75 each. ;D.

Peter

302BOB said:
Sounds like if the side plates are left in, melting won't be an issue. I took my plates out the first week I got my BOSS but I haven't had any melting issues either (2400 miles now). I believe that's because I haven't run my BOSS at constant high speeds for any length of time.....just the occasional get on it & smile routine..........

Bob from what I have seen it is more about correct adjustment. I have seen a Boss two weeks old with factory plates and melted plastic and others with the discs out and no melting issues, including mine for a while until I replaced them with 7/8's discs.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Do you mean the angle of the side pipes? On my LS there is little or no 'play' in the adjustment ability is an direction (L/R or Up/Down). If anything, the coupler (where restrictor plates are) has some play in it but in general I keep it up as close to the chassis as possible to prevent a low clearance issue with the pipes. Even with the play that this has, it seems to make little difference in the stance of the exhaust tip itself.

To me, it seems they should have extended the pipe so it actially partially visible and would be less prone to have the hot exhaust get trapped underneath and in front of the molding extension.

jeepinocala said:
I will be surprised if Ford cover the sides melting unless they do this with the resrtictors in??

Keep in mind that Ford made the disc removable for a reason, therefore I fully expect Ford to replace them.

It's wouldn't be in their best interest to not replace them since the cost would be small versus risk having BOSS owners upset.

PeteInCT said:
Do you mean the angle of the side pipes? On my LS there is little or no 'play' in the adjustment ability is an direction (L/R or Up/Down). If anything, the coupler (where restrictor plates are) has some play in it but in general I keep it up as close to the chassis as possible to prevent a low clearance issue with the pipes. Even with the play that this has, it seems to make little difference in the stance of the exhaust tip itself.

I have found if the pipes are not adjusted correctly and get close to the plastic tabs they will melt them, other may have seen somthing different. You can adjust the side pipes where they attach to the main pipes or by loosening the long bolt with the band on it and then twist the pipe around for a good fit. I leave about 3/8 of an inch to the floor and using the band adjustment get the outlet as level to the car as possibile. If adjusted correctly this way you will have enough distance between the pipe outlet and the plastic tab and you will not have a melting problem.

I had a small area start to melt when the car was new but since I did the final adjustment I have had no further problems.

Homeless said:
So what performance hit do you take if you leave the restrictor plates in while using trackey?
Stock there's a 2-4 HP gain between the stock restrictor plates and wide open. I would expect it to be no different with TK. Ford is stating you'll notice the lopey idle more with no restrictor plates.

5 DOT 0 said:
Homeless said:
So what performance hit do you take if you leave the restrictor plates in while using trackey?
Stock there's a 2-4 HP gain between the stock restrictor plates and wide open. I would expect it to be no different with TK. Ford is stating you'll notice the lopey idle more with no restrictor plates.

Thanks, I can see why folks are taking them out on the track.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Seems like if u have plates out then I'd suspect little to no additional gains with ANY reason axle ba k 3rd party muffler since there's little to no backpressure left (a guess). Also, we know NO backpressure is worse than a properly tuned pipe.

PeteInCT said:
Seems like if u have plates out then I'd suspect little to no additional gains with ANY reason axle ba k 3rd party muffler since there's little to no backpressure left (a guess). Also, we know NO backpressure is worse than a properly tuned pipe.
I've got GT500 axelbacks sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Back pressure is reduced further with less restrictive axelbacks but not much more HP. I think the max with any combo is around 4-6. Throw in a K&N filter and I think it's safe to say you're putting out 450 HP. ;) I run 7/8" discs in my side pipes and I'm looking for a deeper sound not necessarily louder.

Just to throw my 2 cents in. Checked my plastic parts and no melting.
Regular Boss #1952
2,000 miles
No exhaust mods
L.A city driving(stop and go)
No track time yet

PeteInCT

Connecticut
If you still have the restrictor plates in AND you haven't tracked the car I'd be surprised if you saw any issues. Ford recommends removing them only if you track the car, however I would not be surprised if removing the restrictor plates and letting her run a bit (especially in hot climates) cause it also. Mine melted specifically while at VIR in November with restrictor plates out.

hey guys this is what i did went to a local fire place outlet and bought a silver like flexible material then cut it to size to fit under my rocker pannels and plastic held it up ther with 3m double sided tape my 2 cents.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mine are off...and I'm surprised how much gravel/sand came out with them and the rocker panel. Also seems stupid that Ford used a torx screw (T-20 IIRC) for this when many of the other body parts are just phillips.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Yes - when I took mine out I unloaded half of VIR's paddock area onto my garage ;D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
;D Makes me think that Ford exterior trim part designers should take apart some of their prototypes. I am always surprised at what catches gravel and sand...but this was a bit too much!

TMO Supporting Vendors