The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
A good test when you get Wally home is to see if a 315 R7 will fit up front on an 11" wheel ;)
And if your 18" CCW wheels fit over the MASSIVE front brakes. :p

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Brought Wally home today and parked him next to his brother the Boss:

IMG_1825.jpg

First impressions, loading into the Trailer: The increased Track width is very noticeable -- less clearance to the trailer fenders, both sides. Second the front Brake rotors are huge -- not a lot of clearance to the inside of the wheel rim for Mac's tie down straps with fleece covers. It took a lot of patience to feed the tie down + cover through the gap.....

I Weighed the car and measured some stuff, will post more details and photos after dinner, but re the tire wheel questions:

cloud9 said:
A good test when you get Wally home is to see if a 315 R7 will fit up front on an 11" wheel ;)

I think 315's will fit up front -- I measured 10-12mm clearance from the inner Tire to the Strut with the 305's on the 11" rims. There seems to be some space on the outside to the fender which will increase with Camber.

325's on the back looks doubtful -- the 315's already poke on the outside of the fenders....

VooDooBOSS said:
And if your 18" CCW wheels fit over the MASSIVE front brakes. :p

Unfortunately it's not even close. The front brakes are HUGE, and I don't see any 18" wheels working -- I'll post photos later.....

Last edited:
That's great news on the fronts. I'm actually more concerned about the front tire than the rear. The IRS will help with rear grip along with a half inch wider wheel. I think we will be just fine 8)

2012B2L

That Ford Guy
Ford Employee
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
They look great together in black.

Look what just showed up at the dealership this evening.8c3b79b3dec7259e7622e2da15c5d302.jpg06046308d31425f5dfbb56f8fbfdc0f2.jpg

2012B2L

That Ford Guy
Ford Employee
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
cloud9 said:
Congrats, looks great! I bet you'll have an opportunity to break it in over the holiday :)

Unfortunately I won't be in town until the Christmas holiday. I'm wishing for a 50 degree plus Christmas this year in Nebraska.

2012B2L said:
Unfortunately I won't be in town until the Christmas holiday. I'm wishing for a 50 degree plus Christmas this year in Nebraska.
Wishing the same, you deserve it. Good chance of that happening with the nice fall we've had so far.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Wishing the same, you deserve it. Good chance of that happening with the nice fall we've had so far.

I'm in the same camp -- if you guys get 50* temps so will we here in MI.

Weighed the car today:

IMG_1801_zps86vvljw1.jpg

Made sure the scales were level. Full tank of Gas, came in at 3655 lbs:

IMG_1798_zpsccoe2xir.jpg

No Trunk Junk is standard on the R:

IMG_1794_zpsipcze1qw.jpg

Cross weight looks great. F/R is 54/46.

Bay Area
Black Boss said:
Brought Wally home today and parked him next to his brother the Boss:

IMG_1825_zpszftyoy93.jpg

First impressions, loading into the Trailer: The increased Track width is very noticeable -- less clearance to the trailer fenders, both sides. Second the front Brake rotors are huge -- not a lot of clearance to the inside of the wheel rim for Mac's tie down straps with fleece covers. It took a lot of patience to feed the tie down + cover through the gap.....

I Weighed the car and measured some stuff, will post more details and photos after dinner, but re the tire wheel questions:

I think 315's will fit up front -- I measured 10-12mm clearance from the inner Tire to the Strut with the 305's on the 11" rims. There seems to be some space on the outside to the fender which will increase with Camber.

325's on the back looks doubtful -- the 315's already poke on the outside of the fenders....

Unfortunately it's not even close. The front brakes are HUGE, and I don't see any 18" wheels working -- I'll post photos later.....

Awesome pic, I can't wait to read about your impressions.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Looks like the battery might be a good replacement for the trunk junk.

+1. What else to improve F/R Balance?

Some more photos. The Brakes are HUGE. I really didn't take it in from the Track Tour exhibits, but there's about 3-4mm clearance from the front calipers to the inside of the 19" rim:

IMG_1817_zpseg3tnw6b.jpg

And if the calipers look big from the outside, just take a look from the inside:

IMG_1812_zpsscunfbmy.jpg

Even the Rears fill the wheels (especially compared to the S197):

IMG_1820_zpslv3soslu.jpg

Rear rotors are stamped with minimum thickness of 24.00mm. They're 26.00mm new. Huge improvement in both wear and heat dissipation, my 2 piece rotors on the Boss were 18.8mm new, 17.4mm min....

Still need to measure the Fronts......

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel