The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow there's not much room, thanks for posting the photos. I love the radial mounts on the front calipers.

VooDooBOSS said:
Wow there's not much room, thanks for posting the photos. I love the radial mounts on the front calipers.

Can't wait for the "How To" thread that Black Boss is going to do for us on the brakes:

Pad swaps
Rotor swaps
Dust shield removal??? Looks like the front may not be bad, but the rears require hub removal?????

By the way, interesting point on the Mac's tie down straps with the fleece covers. Think the fleece covers will need to go? I assume their main purpose is to protect the wheels. I'm not "as" concerned with the project 6g wheels which will be for track use anyway.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Can't wait for the "How To" thread that Black Boss is going to do for us on the brakes:

Pad swaps
Rotor swaps
Dust shield removal??? Looks like the front may not be bad, but the rears require hub removal?????

By the way, interesting point on the Mac's tie down straps with the fleece covers. Think the fleece covers will need to go? I assume their main purpose is to protect the wheels. I'm not "as" concerned with the project 6g wheels which will be for track use anyway.

Pad swaps should be easy, and I anticipate that rotor life will be increased significantly versus the Boss, given the larger diameter and thickness. Radial mounts up front make caliper removal for rotor changes a lot easier.

Not sure about dust shield removal -- haven't seen any documentation on this and the cooling ducting is nor routed though the shield like the Boss, so it's an unknown ??

Yes the fleece covers need to go unless you have a lot of patience. It will also depend on the inner barrel diameter of the 6g wheels versus the stock/ R wheels. They are only for wheel protection -- a significant issue with Carbon Fiber wheels.

I plan to weigh the wheels tomorrow.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
VooDooBOSS said:
Ok this has really got me foaming at the mouth awaiting my car. It's gonna be a long three months.

Nick you change your ID. Maybe Black GT350 Boss or Black VooDoo Boss?

@Moto

Rick

I was holding off until next year. Contracts were thin and uncertain. Looks like 3 are about to sign. Have to see who still has allotments for 2016 available at home.

Hi Black Boss,
WOW - The Black with Black Stripes color really pops ! looks awesome and I cant wait for my GT350R to be built and delivered. I ordered the same color and stripes with the electronics package. good luck with your R

what fleece covers are you ordering and from who? are they going to fit ? whats the purpose of them?

morjo02 said:
Hi Black Boss,
WOW - The Black with Black Stripes color really pops ! looks awesome and I cant wait for my GT350R to be built and delivered. I ordered the same color and stripes with the electronics package. good luck with your R

what fleece covers are you ordering and from who? are they going to fit ? whats the purpose of them?
Trailer tie downs using wheel straps.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/pro-pack-premium-tie-down-kit-with-axle-straps/PackageDeals

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
This is what I use. I wrap straps around the rear axel and through the lower control arm in front.
I stay away from running through the wheels. On cars with tie down hooks or loops in the frame I connect directly to these.

Nick,
What ramps did you use to load on your trailer? I have the race ramps, TR-6, with 8.5 degree and not sure if they will work with the splitter installed(3 3/4" ground height) or if I have to get the longer TR-8XL.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bring it down to AZ and let the flogging begin...still have track days and races going on through early December, then new season starts in January. Just sayin' :)

Black Boss said:
+1. What else to improve F/R Balance?

Some more photos. The Brakes are HUGE. I really didn't take it in from the Track Tour exhibits, but there's about 3-4mm clearance from the front calipers to the inside of the 19" rim:

IMG_1817_zpsljgt307n.png

And if the calipers look big from the outside, just take a look from the inside:

IMG_1812_zpsscunfbmy.jpg

Even the Rears fill the wheels (especially compared to the S197):

IMG_1820_zpslv3soslu.jpg

Rear rotors are stamped with minimum thickness of 24.00mm. They're 26.00mm new. Huge improvement in both wear and heat dissipation, my 2 piece rotors on the Boss were 18.8mm new, 17.4mm min....

Still need to measure the Fronts......
@cloud9 so I wonder if the aluminum wheels on the 350 have more clearance than the CF wheels on the R?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
morjo02 said:
Hi Black Boss,

If you order the Mac's straps and fleece covers that cloud9 referenced, be sure to get 40" long to ensure they're long enough. Also the gap is very tight between the rotor and the wheel rim up front. I found that putting the velcro wheel side works best, otherwise it gets caught up on the rotor.

Moto said:
Nick,
What ramps did you use to load on your trailer? I have the race ramps, TR-6, with 8.5 degree and not sure if they will work with the splitter installed(3 3/4" ground height) or if I have to get the longer TR-8XL.
I have Aluminum ramps that drop down from the rear trailer door: 60" long with 6" rise. Both the Boss LS splitter and GT350R chin spoiler just clear......

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
byronj said:
Awesome pic, I can't wait to read about your impressions.

Went for my first drive today. First stop was the Michigan Secretary of State Office -- you can't get a personalized plate in Michigan, pre title:

IMG_1831_zps9z7v1qi0.jpg

Then drove the car another 60 miles to collect my daughter from college at U of M. Wow! I went on the track tour at Laguna Seca and was impressed by the cars track capability, especially the braking, lateral grip and usable torque range, but in normal mode on the street this car behaves really well. Great balance and not too firm. You know that the front tires are wide, with noticeable tram-lining, that could probably be fixed with Toe changes (see a later post). The acceleration is addictive, and the steering feedback and overall nimbleness is a step up from the Boss, even with the 302S Steering Rack. The most impressive thing is that the car drives like it's 3000 lb, not 3650 lb. Put it in Sport or track mode and the steering and suspension firmness are noticeable, but blown away by the exhaust note. How is this legal?

Interestingly, when you shift to 6th gear the exhaust returns to normal mode, a sensible way of restoring your hearing, keeping passengers happy and who uses 6th at the Track?

Can't wait to get this car on the track!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel