The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
2012YellowBoss said:
What settings are you thinking?

I've been running the Tokicos on 5f/5r with OEM wheels / tires (staggered). Softening the rear (4 or 3) would remove tendency for oversteer with addition of front grip (square setup). I'll start at 5/5 and see how it feels. If it is too loose (oversteer), I'll drop it to 5/4 and see how it feels. If it is still too loose, 5/3. It shouldn't really take more than that to get it balanced.

The other element is the level of grip of the Hankooks vs. the P-Zeros. That might require more finagling with shock settings to get the most out of them.

Should be interesting....

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Oh yeah... and I tossed the Boss on the NASA scales following my last session (since the fuel light was on with 5 miles til empty flashing).... 3555 lbs. Took 13.3 gallons to fill it, so just about 3 gallons (18 lbs) of fuel in the car. Every option was in the car at the time (floor mats, tire inflation system, etc). Pleasantly surprised at that number ;)

Will weigh it again at Hastings to see if it is lighter as you get towards sea level :)

MPH FUN said:
the latest latest latest rumor is you will get just below that 1.40.26 and into the 30's and be able to add your name to our table of fame in the Guardrail clubhouse....so what performance secret will you reveal to the rest of the drivers?... george

The rumor has been confirmed, George. I will let you in on my secret... you've got to drive "flat out" ....1:38.92 ;D.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JScheier said:
2012YellowBoss said:
What settings are you thinking?

I've been running the Tokicos on 5f/5r with OEM wheels / tires (staggered). Softening the rear (4 or 3) would remove tendency for oversteer with addition of front grip (square setup). I'll start at 5/5 and see how it feels. If it is too loose (oversteer), I'll drop it to 5/4 and see how it feels. If it is still too loose, 5/3. It shouldn't really take more than that to get it balanced.

The other element is the level of grip of the Hankooks vs. the P-Zeros. That might require more finagling with shock settings to get the most out of them.

Should be interesting....

John I was loose at Homestead and went to 4 in the back. Seems to help some but did not have a ton of time out there. In any case it was a very mild difference not night and day. Let me know how it goes for you.

Look who's coming to MPH!!!!

OK guys here's the latest update on the Mustang Roundup at MPH. The following Ford Boss team members are already confirmed and bringing their own personal cars:

Todd Soderquist, Mustang Planner when Boss program launched (Currently global program manager for mid sized platform vehicles), Black 2012 B2 LS
Tom Barnes, Mustang Vehicle Engineering Manager, Silver 2012 B2 LS
Darrell Behmer, Mustang Studio Chief, Silver 2012 B2 LS
Chuck Drake, Vehicle Engineering Yellow 2012 B2

There are a few more on the potential to commit list as well.

Here's your chance to ask these guys anything you want about the Boss. Don't miss this opportunity and just speculate about a lot of your questions on the forums; get it straight from the guys that designed and built the car!!! I can't emphasize enough what a great opportunity this is to enjoy your Mustang the way it was designed to be driven. It's a ridiculous value at only $249 for the entire weekend! Get your registrations in at http://racemph.com/Ford-Mustang-Roundup-2011.htm

Remember this is open to ALL MUSTANGS AND FORD GTs!!!!!!! Gas up your Mustang and get to MPH!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Is that car out of Colorado? We have a local guy who picked one up. Runs with NASA locally. I've only seen that car on track once (but he had his AI/CMC car out and paddocked next to Ed at High Plains).

cloud9 said:
Just found out this car will be there too!
Who's bringing it? It looks like it's going to be a terrific event. 8)

Help a guy out!

Alright, I am all signed up for the event, should arrive Friday night late. Question to those who are in the know.... I have a completely stock boss. I also have some cash to blow and about 10 days to purchase unsaid items and install them before this event.
What would be a good way to spend some cash before the race in hastings? I can't swing rims or tires just yet so keep in mind that I will be running on stock shoes (next year). Suspension, brakes, cooling, fluids, OBD devices ??? Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated!

1TRKMND said:
Help a guy out!

Alright, I am all signed up for the event, should arrive Friday night late. Question to those who are in the know.... I have a completely stock boss. I also have some cash to blow and about 10 days to purchase unsaid items and install them before this event.
What would be a good way to spend some cash before the race in hastings? I can't swing rims or tires just yet so keep in mind that I will be running on stock shoes (next year). Suspension, brakes, cooling, fluids, OBD devices ??? Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated!
If I were you, I'd flush the stock brake fluid and put in a DOT4, install the brake cooling kit and transmission cooling scoop. Those are the basics, and you can upgrade from there later.

cloud9 said:
1TRKMND said:
Help a guy out!

If I were you, I'd flush the stock brake fluid and put in a DOT4, install the brake cooling kit and transmission cooling scoop. Those are the basics, and you can upgrade from there later.

Speed bleeders..... yeh or neh? Easiest way to drop brake fluid?

1TRKMND said:
Speed bleeders..... yeh or neh? Easiest way to drop brake fluid?

That is up to you, if you have some help the old fashion way still works well. One must have part is an oil separator, there is a lot of oil that passes out the passenger side PCV to the intake.

CIMG2107.png
CIMG2108.png

TMO Supporting Vendors