The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1TRKMND said:
Ah yes, thank you Scott! Anything else?

Disconnect skip shift, you should not see it but will be better off. Like Gary said the trans cooler is a easy cheap mod. The brake ducts are a great idea but I got away without for several track days, the fluid is a must. Good Dot 4 like ATE or Motorcraft, no the cheapo stuff in Autozone. Take off the brake dust shields, front and back. I would also get at the very least a set of Hawk HP+ pads or if you know what you are doing pads like the experienced guys run, DTC60 or DTC70 pads. If you run the 60 or 70 it would be better with the duct kit. You can run the HP+ pads on the stock rotors but I bought a set of slotted rotors for the track.

You should be good there, I put shoes on first but that was more to save the Pirellis.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
1TRKMND said:
Help a guy out!

How many track days have you had?

Basic recommendations are:

1. Flush the brake fluid with a good DOT4. Motorcraft or ATE SuperBlue or ATE Type 200(Gold) are probably the easiest to find
2. Install the transmission cooling scoop M-5025-MBR
3. Get a good tire pressure gauge

I'll be in Hastings by mid-day on Friday. If you need help bleeding the brakes or anything else, let me know. I'll be in the Sanford and Son special (Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ a Uhaul trailer... CO Boss hopefully still on it :) ).

JScheier said:
[I'll be in the Sanford and Son special (Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ a Uhaul trailer... CO Boss hopefully still on it :) ).
"It's the big one, Elizabeth! I'm comin' for ya." ;D You've outdone me! I thought I'd win the Beverly Hillbillies award with my wooden deck open trailer pulled behind my non-descript black F-150.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
"It's the big one, Elizabeth! I'm comin' for ya." ;D You've outdone me! I thought I'd win the Beverly Hillbillies award with my wooden deck open trailer pulled behind my non-descript black F-150.

Uhaul trailers that roll down the road crooked trump all!

JScheier said:
cloud9 said:

Uhaul trailers that roll down the road crooked trump all!

You may not be the only one with a Uhaul at MPH. I've been reluctant to use that as an option because most of them look like they are just about to fall apart or the tires are going to blow. Also, I'm sure I would have to take off the front splitter to get it loaded.

A guy just emailed me this morning about buying his rollback trailer but I don't know if I will get that bought before MPH. ???

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Dean#4AI said:
You may not be the only one with a Uhaul at MPH. I've been reluctant to use that as an option because most of them look like they are just about to fall apart or the tires are going to blow. Also, I'm sure I would have to take off the front splitter to get it loaded.

If you back your tow vehicle up on ramps, you should be able to drive on without removing the splitter. My M3 was less than 2" off the ground at the splitter... and I could get on/off the trailer.

You may also need to cut some 2X10s to place under the front wheels as they have a HUGE metal stopper at the front of the trailer. That killed splitter #1 :(

Anyway... that's how I rolled when I used UHaul trailers on the M3.... only ripped the front bumper off once... and that was coming home from MPH :)

JScheier said:
If you back your tow vehicle up on ramps, you should be able to drive on without removing the splitter. My M3 was less than 2" off the ground at the splitter... and I could get on/off the trailer.

You may also need to cut some 2X10s to place under the front wheels as they have a HUGE metal stopper at the front of the trailer. That killed splitter #1 :(

Anyway... that's how I rolled when I used UHaul trailers on the M3.... only ripped the front bumper off once... and that was coming home from MPH :)

Thanks for the tips! Have you had any problems with blowing out tires? I guess I'm not sure if they send a spare along or not.

BTW - Sorry for the thread high jack. :-[

JScheier said:
1TRKMND said:
Help a guy out!

1. Flush the brake fluid with a good DOT4. Motorcraft or ATE SuperBlue or ATE Type 200(Gold) are probably the easiest to find

I'll be in Hastings by mid-day on Friday. If you need help bleeding the brakes or anything else, let me know. I'll be in the Sanford and Son special (Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ a Uhaul trailer... CO Boss hopefully still on it :) ).

I guess that I should have started with my experience level, which is Zero. I will have had 1 solo event under my belt before Hastings. My driving may be laughable for some but hey I gotta start somewhere ;D I ordered the trans cooler, brake ducts,and the Motorcraft Dot4 fluid.

Jscheier I might just take you up on the helping hand... Thanks for the offer! If anything I will be looking for all of you to fill my head full of ideas. Should Keep me busy for the winter.

One thing to add, no one has brought up camber plates??? no need for them until I buy rims/tires?

Thanks again everyone for being patient, Im still cutting my teeth ::)

If you are just starting out, your list is complete. You can add c/c plates later after you buy track wheels/tires. Look forward to seeing you at MPH!

John - you should email George and he could probably get you guys into a garage at the track for the brake fluid flush on Friday.

GA
1TRKMND said:
JScheier said:
1TRKMND said:
Help a guy out!

I guess that I should have started with my experience level, which is Zero. I will have had 1 solo event under my belt before Hastings. My driving may be laughable for some but hey I gotta start somewhere ;D I ordered the trans cooler, brake ducts,and the Motorcraft Dot4 fluid.

Jscheier I might just take you up on the helping hand... Thanks for the offer! If anything I will be looking for all of you to fill my head full of ideas. Should Keep me busy for the winter.

One thing to add, no one has brought up camber plates??? no need for them until I buy rims/tires?

Just a suggestion- you might want to run the car stock your first time and take it easy a little and get to know the car first before investing in bunch of stuff. I ran my 2008 Bullitt 100% stock on 6 track weekends before considering upgrades, and the Boss is way more capable out of the box. If money is no object, then just go for it.

1TRKMND said:

I am not trying to give advise over the long time trackers here but if I can explain what I have experienced with the Boss as a first timer to help you understand.

Like Gary said wait on the camber plates for a few more track days. They will help with the tire wear but I found they took getting use to, I make a lot of rookie mistakes and that leads to over-steer at times (back end coming loose). Before the camber plates I could exit incorrectly or get on the gas too early and the Boss mainly corrected itself. Now if I do the same the over-steer is a lot worse and I need to correct it, not the car's systems. The first time you do this it will scare you. I guess it is along the lines of using street tires that give you a warning before loosing grip, if you start out on race tires you will have less warning before they totally give way.

I am still having problems finding the right pressure on the Nittos so you will be lucky to have some experts there to help you. Keep an eye on the tire pressure and don't be afraid to ask the guys for help, sounds like they will not mind at all. I am jealous since this sounds like a great event with many people I could learn a lot from.

You asked about a gauge, you may want to try this
http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm
It is cheap and works OK for the price. Saves you from having to search for the stock gauges. I use it for shifts, speed and keeping an eye on temp. If you do use something like this make sure to shut off all alarms or it will be blinking different things all day.

GA
cloud9 said:
Brake cooling is always a good idea even for an otherwise stock car.

That definitely wouldn't hurt and could pay for itself by not having to change pads and rotors after the first weekend. I'm sure most Boss owners new to the track won't be able to resist dive bombing the corners their first time out. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors