The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Antigravity batteries discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
Alright everyone so my battery on my 15’ GT doesn’t hold a charge as well anymore, takes longer to crank and in cold weather it struggles a little more. So it’s time to upgrade. My top choice is an antigravity battery.
I just wanted to confirm and summarize my research that I’ve made on this forum from multiple posts.
so it seems like because of our smart charging systems people have ran into issues with the restart feature on some of their batteries.
but one of the work around is taking off a ring sensor that goes around the negative battery cable. It seems like removing this ring will still keep the bolts at roughly 14.5 or simply getting one of their batteries that don’t have the restart feature.
from what I’ve read it mostly seems like people have mostly run into issues with different product lines from anti gravity. It appears as if the ATX line up of batteries has much better compatibility with our smart charging system and last users much longer.
my top 4 choices right now are the ATX20, ATX 30 and their HD variants.
Has anyone seen faster or smoother start ups with a battery with more cranking amps? In my daily driver I put a bigger battery in it and the cranks are almost instant now.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Alright everyone so my battery on my 15’ GT doesn’t hold a charge as well anymore, takes longer to crank and in cold weather it struggles a little more. So it’s time to upgrade. My top choice is an antigravity battery.
I just wanted to confirm and summarize my research that I’ve made on this forum from multiple posts.
so it seems like because of our smart charging systems people have ran into issues with the restart feature on some of their batteries.
but one of the work around is taking off a ring sensor that goes around the negative battery cable. It seems like removing this ring will still keep the bolts at roughly 14.5 or simply getting one of their batteries that don’t have the restart feature.
from what I’ve read it mostly seems like people have mostly run into issues with different product lines from anti gravity. It appears as if the ATX line up of batteries has much better compatibility with our smart charging system and last users much longer.
my top 4 choices right now are the ATX20, ATX 30 and their HD variants.
Has anyone seen faster or smoother start ups with a battery with more cranking amps? In my daily driver I put a bigger battery in it and the cranks are almost instant now.
My H5 w/ restart proved incompatible after about 14 months. I’ve since been afraid to drop more cash to try an ATX. After seeing Fabman’s post I’m keeping my lead-acid battery.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I went down the tiny battery road. IMHO, it ain't worth it, creates far more problems than it solves. They just do not have the grunt to start a hot high compression motor.
My factory Motorcraft battery died this spring after 6 years of track days, replaced it with another one exactly the same. These little batteries didn't last a year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have had 3 small form Anti Gravity batteries (YTX) in my S197. The small size makes it easier to work on the passenger side under hood area and the weight savings is pretty big. They start the car fine if you don't let them sit too long and run down, but do not hold up. I was replacing them every 12-18 months. I think the charging system in the Mustang isn't really compatible with them. I reached out to Anti Gravity customer service on the issue and never received a response. I went back to a normal size battery for dependability and longevity.

I have atx20hd.

If i do it again i would go with 30. (Is only 1 or 2lbs heavier)
I constantly live in fear i left something turned on and battery will die lol.
The reality is. It doesn't die.
This is my second antigravity. The first one failed. Probably something related smart charging failed.
They gave me a new one under warranty without big deal.
Since then i have the new one without issue. 3 years.
If not used for days battery might go down and auto protect itself disconnecting .
To start it again i connect a portable jump start battery and the battery comes back alive.
If not used for days i would suggest to keep it on with a lithium battery charger.
If u dont look for every single lb of performance im not sure a 700$ battery is worth.
Compare to OEM is about 30lbs lighter.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Simple answer ;
1. If you are highly competitive or want to really trim some weight off for a race or Time Trials, then this is an option.
2. If you are doing HPDEs or other events with no chance for a highly prized piece of wood trophy , skip the expense and concern of battery failure.

I figured a simple answer was best to address the gravity of the situation!

Last edited:
To add another data point, I’ve had an antigravity in my early S197 for two years now, and the battery was used and already had a couple of years of use when I bought it on TMO from someone. It’s been a great battery.

It seems the charging systems from 2011 and beyond have issues with these batteries, but the earlier cars do not have issues since they do not have complex charging system/monitoring.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Is there a measurable difference between Braille and antigravity? I have a coupon for Braille and was looking to get one of their 5lb lithiums. Curious if they are better than antigravity
I have some experience with them in a few customer's cars and have nothing good to say about them. Wouldn't recommend.

In my opinion, Optima Yellowtop > everything else, find somewhere else to lose weight.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
11 years on my original battery, maybe an AGM coming in the near future. If I need to cut some weight I'll go on a diet, maybe ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I use an Antigravity ATX20 with 780 CCA. Totally awesome battery. Cranks like an absolute mofo.
Just don't let it go dead and don't charge it up with anything other than the special charger they make for it.
That includes not charging it with the cars alternator if the battery is completely dead.
Disconnect it and use the special charger. Ask me how I know....

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors