The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AUTO-BLiP Install and Calibration Info for the S197/BOSS 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Auto-Blip Install and Instruction Information

I was over at the Auto-Blip site reading the install instructions and I'm surprised all of this can't be done in the ECU. The engine computer is already reading (and recording) the brake, clutch and throttle data.

Well I figured out the problem with my AB not responding 50% of the time. Just prior to last track event I installed a new Exedy clutch, which requires more effort to fully engage the clutch pedal to the point it touches the switch. Embarrassingly, all I need to do is press a bit harder on the clutch.

A thank you to Andres of AB for his quick responses and encouraging me to look at a few items. My 3rd round of looking at the problem did the trick ;D

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss

Autoblip going in today. Looking forward to this little electronic upgrade.

Senderofan

Installed the Auto-Blip in about 1 1/2 hrs. Thanks, to a large part, for the tips found in this thread. I did have to do the calibration sequence a couple of times before the unit functioned properly. Make sure both knobs are turned all the way to the (-) sign.....counter clockwise.

This is going to be a very nice tool for the track....for a novice like me....who cannot rotate his foot far enough to adequately blip on his own.

drano38

Wayne

I ran mine for the first time at BIR this weekend, about 350 miles of track time on a 10 turn course.
Overall, it was outstanding. Every shift was smooth, and no jerking on clutch release, so I know I've got the blip set good for my driving style. Still need to work the delay, currently at about 10:00 position, but may use even less next time.

Senderofan

drano38 said:
I ran mine for the first time at BIR this weekend, about 350 miles of track time on a 10 turn course.
Overall, it was outstanding. Every shift was smooth, and no jerking on clutch release, so I know I've got the blip set good for my driving style. Still need to work the delay, currently at about 10:00 position, but may use even less next time.

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Going to give it a try at BIR in September. Guess I'll need to fine tune it myself.

Wayne

Just completed my Auto-Blip installation. Pretty straight forward with no issues except the tight working quarters under the dash. I wish the brake connector harness was about 3 inches longer. That was the worst one, even with the connector disconnected.
I ended up installing the unit in the glove box on the driver (vertical) side. I figure I am only going to turn it on when I am at the track, and once I set it, I can forget it.

DSCF2035_zpsbc9ed17a.jpg

wwilde001 said:
Just completed my Auto-Blip installation. Pretty straight forward with no issues except the tight working quarters under the dash. I wish the brake connector harness was about 3 inches longer. That was the worst one, even with the connector disconnected. I ended up installing mine in the glove box on the driver (vertical) side. I figure I am only going to turn it on when I am at the track, and once I set it, I can forget it.

Can you share a picture of where you fixed it too?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

wwilde001 said:
Just completed my Auto-Blip installation. Pretty straight forward with no issues except the tight working quarters under the dash. I wish the brake connector harness was about 3 inches longer. That was the worst one, even with the connector disconnected.
I ended up installing the unit in the glove box on the driver (vertical) side. I figure I am only going to turn it on when I am at the track, and once I set it, I can forget it.

DSCF2035_zpsbc9ed17a.jpg
I like that Bill, stealthy and out of the way. I think I will move mine there as well.
Steve

I had visions of disassembling the unit and integrating it in the instrument bezel in the upper right corner, but decided to go the easy route. This was the best place I could think of that I could get to it and it wouldn't get in my way.

steveespo said:
I like that Bill, stealthy and out of the way. I think I will move mine there as well.
Steve
Ford could have painted that (rusty bare metal) dash support...
Anyone having a video with that Auto-Blip working?
Sounds like a great gizmo to buy :)

patrickshelby said:
Ford could have painted that (rusty bare metal) dash support...
Anyone having a video with that Auto-Blip working?
Sounds like a great gizmo to buy :)

Here is a vid that does a fairly good job with the audio to hear the blip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLbJ-Tx_IFY[youtube]

LS110 said:
Here is a vid that does a fairly good job with the audio to hear the blip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLbJ-Tx_IFY
John, I had already seen your videos on Youtube and I would qualify them as being impressive and of great quality!

This one is quite convincing as far as the Auto-Blip is concerned :) Thank you!

I understand you run ENKEI wheels with CONTI 275 slicks...What suspension and brake setup do you have?

patrickshelby said:
John, I had already seen your videos on Youtube and I would qualify them as being impressive and of great quality!

This one is quite convincing as far as the Auto-Blip is concerned :) Thank you!

I understand you run ENKEI wheels with CONTI 275 slicks...What suspension and brake setup do you have?

The auto-blip has been great and truly improved my braking as I was awful at toe-heel.

I am running Enkeis and Conti's. The front calipers are stock with racing rotors and pads, front and rear. My rear calipers are 13.8" 2013 GT500s. My suspension is basically 302S. If you want a more detailed list, send me a PM.

I installed my Auto-Blip yesterday, thanks to everyone for all the helpful hints, my only suggestion is to have a helper to hand you things as needed or double articulating forearms. I mounted the Blip box in the rear console storage area, the one that is always flipping open because my elbow hits it. A short test drive last night and all seems to work well.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Pardon my ignorance. How's that Auto-blip work on the street? Or is it something you only use on the track? My feet are much like most older men who just go where they want no matter what you tell them. Been trained and taught but my feet ain't listening too well. Heel-toe is not something I would normally use on the street unless I am accidentally driving aggressively.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

TymeSlayer said:
Pardon my ignorance. How's that Auto-blip work on the street? Or is it something you only use on the track? My feet are much like most older men who just go where they want no matter what you tell them. Been trained and taught but my feet ain't listening too well. Heel-toe is not something I would normally use on the street unless I am accidentally driving aggressively.
Track only, no need to heel toe on the street, unless you are a maniac.
Steve

In order to keep this thread on topic I've deleted some posts. Anyone is welcome to start a thread debating the merits of a manual vs computer assist transmission and clutch in the Paddock Forum.

TymeSlayer said:
There's a small button on the box that toggles it on and off.

FWIW I drove a new Z51 Stingray for two days at Spring Mountain while attending a driving school there this Spring. While the built in auto-blip on the Stingray worked very well there are no settings to make any adjustments on it. So while the Auto-Blip may not be quite as sophisticated as the one in the Stingray you do have complete control over it and I preferred the Auto-Blip over the built in unit on the Stingray.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

It's been over a year and four months since this thread started and it would be cool to hear feedback from you guys who have been using it a long tyme. Being the rook I am, I am intrigued about this helping me at the track since my my heel-toe is lacking.

Thanks in advance gentlemen...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel