The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Re: those with shifter issues, enter now!

I think you will still like how it feels, even if you don't have issues shifting. You won't be disappointed, I'm sure of it!

Installed mine today. 1.5 hours is about right from the ground. Straight forward installation. Went for a ride and was amazed at the difference. I have had issues since my test drive when buying the car, 18 months ago. Steve has definitely found a solution, at least for me.

gsw166 said:
Installed mine today. 1.5 hours is about right from the ground. Straight forward installation. Went for a ride and was amazed at the difference. I have had issues since my test drive when buying the car, 18 months ago. Steve has definitely found a solution, at least for me.

Welcome to the club of beta testers...Lol
Had the same feelings when I did my installation.
What type of shifter does your Boss have.

Install complete. Steve's post regarding accuracy v. precision is spot on and mirrors my impression. For reference, my Boss has a Hurst shifter and Barton rear mount, full KB AGS-4 suspension with KB k-member (has solid/poly motor mounts), clutch pedal assist spring removed, 11K miles on the car.

Some observations.

- Install time is between 1.5 - 2.5 hours depending on how fast you work. No special skills needed. A good tool set will help.

- I had zero increase in NVH, though I doubt you'll experience any increase in any case.

- 2-3 upshifts and 3-2 downshifts are precise....these were both combos that I had problems with. 4-5 and 5-4 shifts were precise as well. There is some vibration of the shifter in your palm....very much like the Hurst in the 70 Boss. In short, the entire shifting experience is noticeably, and for the better, improved...one of the best mods I have done.

Thanks to Steve for putting this together.

Eric

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Arrrgggh. Please hurry with your kit for the masses! Dying to place an order!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Very nice, I'm happy to read the positive reports. My shifting issues are pretty much resolved, but I'm always looking to improve my Boss with parts that work. I would not install the Torque Brace, nor the rear Trans Mount Bushing. I just didn't see these items being as fixes for the shifting problems.

I've always felt there should be a better way to align and secure the lower shifter box to the Trans housing.

It will be interesting to see the solution you have designed.
Thanks,
302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Just lost my syncros for both third and fourth gear to this diabolic shifter problem. Now have a interesting drive home from the track. Love the car, hate the shifter. Anyone know where I can get a new mt82 box cheap?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

Mad Hatter said:
Just lost my syncros for both third and fourth gear to this diabolic shifter problem. Now have a interesting drive home from the track. Love the car, hate the shifter. Anyone know where I can get a new mt82 box cheap?

dude, that blows! im guessing there's no warranty since you are out of the US? i am also thinking your best bet is to have it rebuilt, since shipping would be as outrageously expensive as buying the trans.

hopefully, since you lost 3 and 4 together, that its the shift fork pads, not the synchro. its a lot easier to replace the fork pads than the synchro, which would be the synchro, 3rd hear and 4th gear...and they are in the middle of a super-tight press fit counter shaft assembly.

This looks really promising. I have had several instances of lock out from 3-4 and 4-5 while getting it. I have been sitting on finding a solution, as most things out there don't seem to really address the cause of the problem. That being said, I have been eyeing up a FRPP shiftier and am still dragging my feet on that project. I have had several track days with the car, and currently drive it daily. I plan to do more and drive it less. I've bought several of your products and all seem legit. It looks like what ever you built this time is also a winner. If you ever need a test car, I'm a short hope across the creek from you. Looking forward to seeing the specifics on this.

Finally finished working on my other 3 three cars before my trip to OKC. Put the car up on 4 jack stands and went to work. The install was pretty easy I thought, very well built and all pieces fit like a glove. The only mod I have done for shifting is the Whiteline add-on. Shouldn't affect Puff's mod. Install took about an hour and half including jacking and lowering. I did take advantage of the chance to wash the car while it was up, it's easier I think.

Went for a 10 min test drive and tried to make it lock out. Could only tach out in first 3 gears where I was driving. But at 7490 it shifts like 2000. Seriously, I have enough confidence that I will not miss any gears anymore. I also felt it found the gears more easily when I was just driving and downshifting etc. Awesome engineering idea which addresses and fixes my transmission/shifter issues. Thanks.

Overall, I think I will remove the Whiteline as it adds some NVH to the shifter without Puff's mod and seems to enhance it with the beta mod. Nothing bad, more noticeable at 6500-7500 with your hand on the shifter. I do feel with the Whiteline removed it will be far less.

Note: It took me more time to wash my car than the install did. I didn't wax either, just washed / dried and cleaned tires/rims / trim.

Chris Hollingsworth

I really want one of these things when they come availlable. Can you tell us an approximate price we will be looking at? I'm really having probs on the 1-2 shift at high RPM's. I have the factory shifter and just a whiteline bushing.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland

i won't know for sure until i get firm quantity pricing for parts, hardware and packing materials.

my target is somewhere south of $300.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

I Just wanted to say a public thanks to Pufferfish! After setting my personal best time at my local track I blew 3rd and 4th gears. This is on Sunday. After hearing my howls for help from the track, Blowfish racing had a rebuilt tranny on its way to Miami on Monday and with luck I will have it on Friday. Thats what I call great support!!

I have driven all kinds of cars including a horde of alfa romeos and such (some of which, have syncros go off if you yell at them!), never once have I ever damaged a gearbox or lost a syncro. This is my second rebuild with the MT82 in 25,000km. The mustang community awaits your gadget with big hopes!!

I just finished installing the Blowfish product. Set aside your pennies--it works very, very well. My previous setup was the OEM shifter (I don't want shorter throws) with the Steeda shifter mount with the hard bushing. After installing Blowfish's "fix," I agree with what other users have posted: 2-3 shifts are rock solid, at least in a straight line. Couldn't try 4-5 @ WOT or shifting+cornering anywhere on the street, but I'll give it a good workout at the next track event.

Good work Steve!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

pufferfish said:
i won't know for sure until i get firm quantity pricing for parts, hardware and packing materials.

my target is somewhere south of $300.

OK so what is this f'n thing? :)

Excellent....
after you install the Blowfish part, you will swear you saw those reindeer fly.
I know I did. 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors