The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brakes Revisited

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaGT said:
TBH just buy the Centric Blanks...they are "Cheap" by comparison and last just as long if not longer than these other rotors.

This is what I just did. Can't beat a full set of rotors for less than $250.

Tulsa, OK
KNS Brakes said:
$250 sounds about right for the Centric blanks, I actually have them for $225 + shipping

-Nick

I actually purchased them from you but couldn't remember how much they were. Thanks for getting me hooked up :)

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
roadhouse said:
I actually purchased them from you but couldn't remember how much they were. Thanks for getting me hooked up :)

Is this Logan? I just got a notification from UPS that they got to your house a hour or so ago. Let me know how you like them! Hopefully those Stoptech SS Lines work well for you also.

-Nick

Tulsa, OK
KNS Brakes said:
Is this Logan? I just got a notification from UPS that they got to your house a hour or so ago. Let me know how you like them! Hopefully those Stoptech SS Lines work well for you also.

-Nick

Yes sir, received them last night and everything looks good. I'll be installing them next weekend and will let you know how they work out. Thanks again.

zzyzx

Steve
I wanted to check in here with results from Homestead.

I had fully flushed the brake system with RBF600 and installed Stoptech SS brake lines and I can say that this combo worked great as there was never a hint of a "spongy" pedal at any point. Hydraulics were 100%.

Now for the pads... I used Carbotech XP12F/XP10R. And I put AdvanceTrac into Sport Mode.

Given this the XP12s up front weren't quite up to the task. I wasn't running all that hard, and they were right at the edge of their fade resistance - if I pushed just a little harder I would get a hard pedal and have to apply much more effort to slow down. This was really only a problem going into Turn 8.

That said, the pads were very easy on the rotors - a fingernail test across the surface of the rotors reveals little in the way of grooving. Dusting was also minimal considering the conditions.

Now on AdvanceTrac... it was obvious that despite not really feeling it, traction control was actively working the rears and it's obvious when you look at the rear rotors. They have intermittent splotches of wear, indicative of the pulsating action of the traction control. Other members have noted this and I'll agree at this point that AdvanceTrac needs to be off. This likely contributed to more wear and fade, also - perhaps if TC was off, I wouldn't have had any fade.

I haven't yet figured out just how much of the pad I used up in one day (4 sessions). That said, my next set of front pads will be the XP16s, and rears likely the XP12s. We'll see.

I'll sum up in saying that the braking capabilities didn't really inspire confidence and I can readily see that a BBK would help with both confidence and longevity.

PeteInCT said:
It's not your calipers. Save your money.
Scott is going to work on getting the 2013 GT500 caliper parts numbers. I would think with the proper mounting brackets front and rear you could run our calipers on the larger rotors which should help keep the brakes cooler. Hopefully the 15" rotors with calipers will fit inside 18" Enkei wheels. ;) I wonder how much additional brake pad surface area there is on the six piston calipers vs. the four piston calipers on our cars? Maybe Steve can figure that out when his parts arrive.

steveespo said:
I will be posting full info on the GT 500 stuff as soon as I can, the shipment is scheduled to be here tomorrow so I will post pics and give the pad size at the least. Mock up of the rotors and calipers will have to wait until next week
Great, I'm sure many members will appreciate that. I'm curious to see if the six piston calipers use a bracket for mounting and if so if that bracket will work with the four piston calipers. If so we can buy the bracket and rotors and use the stock calipers.

Not sure what brake package Paul was running for 2011.

zzyzx

Steve
PeteInCT said:
It's not your calipers. Save your money.

Care to elaborate?

KNS Brakes said:
My braking became much better when I improved threshold braking WITHOUT getting into ABS.

Ditto. I learned quickly autox'ing the Boss that the ABS system doesn't take kindly to stomping on the brakes. It's always hard to tell what you're going to get on this front - my Subaru handles this like a champ but that's an apples to oranges comparison to say the least. Yesterday at Homestead I was doing threshold braking the entire time... smooth inputs all the way around.

Sesshomurai

zzyzx said:
Care to elaborate?

Ditto. I learned quickly autox'ing the Boss that the ABS system doesn't take kindly to stomping on the brakes. It's always hard to tell what you're going to get on this front - my Subaru handles this like a champ but that's an apples to oranges comparison to say the least. Yesterday at Homestead I was doing threshold braking the entire time... smooth inputs all the way around.

The 302r/s brake booster and abs module improve this.

zzyzx

Steve
NFSBOSS said:
I wonder how much additional brake pad surface area there is on the six piston calipers vs. the four piston calipers on our cars?

Well, we know the stock front pad is a CT1001. All we need to know is what this is for the GT500. These diagrams have all dimensions on them.

KNS - Care to provide input here? Do you know what the spec is for the '13 GT500 and if so, could you post a link to the image?

Thanks!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
zzyzx said:
Well, we know the stock front pad is a CT1001. All we need to know is what this is for the GT500. These diagrams have all dimensions on them.

KNS - Care to provide input here? Do you know what the spec is for the '13 GT500 and if so, could you post a link to the image?

Thanks!

Tomorrow night all will be revealed. I have been searching the net for any info. Dean Martin at Rehagen is trying to dig up some info, and Van at Revan Racing said he has found Hawk DTC pads that fit but are 1/4" narrower thatn the rotor surface. I have to call him to get the details he wouldn't post the Pad shape# or what car they are for. We'll get to the bottom of it.
Steve

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
All i have is this so far.

13GT500_suspension_brakes.jpg

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/13GT500_suspension_brakes.pdf

We'll figure it out and list what we can

It looks like a tab mount caliper so it's OEM type but the pad doesnot look like the CTS-V etc 6 piston pads. Plus there is that bridgebolt.

I need to get a closer look at the pad.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel