The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
Hey all, new here, but not new to Mustang scene. Been following this thread for awhile and just wanted to say thanks for putting everything together on this. Great job. Also wanted to post my finished setup here. Hopefully this is the right spot for it.

Finally bent up some brackets, and decided to install the new oil breather setup today

Breather015_zpsc652b9a7.png

Breather014_zps08433c51.png

Decided to mount the setup with some bolts that will be hidden under the plastic cowl

Breather001_zps6ce0856c.png

Test fitting..
Breather004_zpsd0eb25c9.png

Breather009_zps2a785939.png

Breather012_zps13ad23ed.png

Breather013_zpsd47eabb9.png

Measuring and making the lines
Breather017_zps498c4bfa.png

Breather018_zps0984dd93.png

Breather020_zps5db8862b.png

Breather026_zps504dff02.png

Breather028_zps037ab021.png

Breather029_zps124a9b8a.png

Buttoning everything up!
Breather031_zps12ca8558.png

Breather034_zps2069eb99.png

Breather036_zpsd94775e1.png

Breather037_zpse87c2d46.png

Breather039_zps47b3f4f5.png

I've been putting off this mod for too long now. Finally, I decided it should be a birthday present, so I search the topic and find this fantastic thread. I am thoroughly impressed on the DIY acumen and team work on putting together quality mod's from scratch. I went from ordering a Moroso catch can to hoping to improve it with AN fittings and braided hose, to cancelling my order in favor of the simpler looking JLT catch can, to pricing out and nearly purchasing all the pieces myself for the Peterson breather. Then I saw YellowBoss put together an awesome kit with the help of other members. That is what impresses me so much! However, I'm not much of a track rat and for the money, I just decided to get the JLT. Ha!!! excellent educational day though!

I installed the Peterson breather can as outlined in this thread a couple weeks ago. I was just now flushing and replacing my coolant and noticed a considerable vacum (sucking) noise coming from the area of the can whenever I touched the gas...the more I'd rev the louder it gets. It also makes a short sucking noise when I turn off the engine. I'm thinking this is normal since I'm now venting the engine but just wanted to make sure before I head to the track this weekend. Has everyone who's installed the can expereinced this?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

KBBOSS1086 said:
I installed the Peterson breather can as outlined in this thread a couple weeks ago. I was just now flushing and replacing my coolant and noticed a considerable vacum (sucking) noise coming from the area of the can whenever I touched the gas...the more I'd rev the louder it gets. It also makes a short sucking noise when I turn off the engine. I'm thinking this is normal since I'm now venting the engine but just wanted to make sure before I head to the track this weekend. Has everyone who's installed the can expereinced this?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Sean
I need some pictures or tell me what you did. That is not normal, there should be no vacuum with this setup.

Did you remove the PCV?
Cap off the intake and airbox tube?

Give me more to work with and I can help you.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
KBBOSS1086 said:

Thanks in advance.

Sean
thats the sounds my CAI makes....

Thanks for the quick response.

My kit looks exactly like the ones you put together. Peterson Breather with 10am earls hose, fragola clamps on the black 90 degree PCV/breather attachments. Earls 10an hose ends connected to 10 to 12 male connectors into the breather can. I puched the PCV valve out and connected one line to it. The other line is attached to the vent on the driver side coil cover. The opening on the intake and cai are both securely capped. I can't think of anything that i might have done differently. Any ideas? thanks again

captdistraction said:
excessive pressure?

I was just thinking that. Is it possible that its releasing pressure outward through the can? I was by myself so it I wasn't able to get next to it when I hit the gas. If that the case, wouldn't it be doing it's job or do I potentialy have bigger problems?

It was my understanding on the Peterson cans that they are not sealed so it will vent off pressure from the engine.

captdistraction said:
Well, possibly. Get someone to work the gas for you and see. Sounds like either a vacuum leak or pressure from the engine.

Any history of heavy oil consumption?

very little oil consumption...no noticable amount during street driving and less than a 1/4 qt over a 2 day track event. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust (bad rings) and no water in the oil (bad head gasket), which are 2 of things I've read can cause high engine pressure. The car runs greatand other than the common misfire issues on track I've never had any problems.

I appreciate everyones feedback and help. If there are any other thoughts, please keep them coming.

I installed Scott's breather kit this week and my car reacted the exact same way. After install I let car idle for five minutes (as per Scott's instructions) then ran the throttle up and down a few times with the hood open and clearly heard a loud hissing intake sound and quick sucking noise at the rear mufflers when I shut the car off. I have the stock intake and have used 1-1/2 quarts of oil in the first 2500 miles. It was raining that day so I did not take the car out for test drive (aka ass beating), I assume the car will adjust and/or reset correctly when I drive it on the road. I also would like to thank Scott for putting this package together. It fit perfect and looks cool!

I don't know what this can be, mine does not do this. Double check the caps on the intake and air tube to make sure they are on correctly. Also did you tighten the clamps where the hose assembly snaps onto the little intake tubes or "elbows"? - not that this would cause a loud noise since there is some pressure but very little.

If the idle is steady and not searching I doubt there is a vacuum leak. Maybe one of you guys can take a video.

Ok, I was able to do some listening after making sure everything was tight. The intake and intake tube caps are very tight and all the AN fittings are secure. After listening for a few minutes it is definitely a vacum/sucking sound that is most prevelant when you give the throttle a quick light tap...it makes the sound before the engine starts to rev. I listened all over and it sound like it's coming from the front and the back of the intake. It doesn't sound normal to me but I could be wrong. It's possible that it's been happening the whole time I've had the car but I just now noticed it when I was listening while giving it some gas with the hood up while standing outside the drvier side. As someone mentioned before, It does sound like the noise a CAI makes. The only other thing I can think of doesn't seem likely to me, but would be a bad intake gasket. I'm going to try to do some more experimenting tomorrow but if anyone has anymore thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks for all the comments and ideas already, everyone.

could it be that with the original setup, one of the heads experienced vacuum and sucked air from the intake, and now its sucking air from the canister?
Are both connectors on the valves covers PCV valves, or is the driver side only a PCV valve?

F.D. Sako said:
could it be that with the original setup, one of the heads experienced vacuum and sucked air from the intake, and now its sucking air from the canister?
Are both connectors on the valves covers PCV valves, or is the driver side only a PCV valve?

I'm obviously no expert on this but my understanding is that with the stock setup the intake would pull vacum from the cylinder heads, which caused blow by (oil in the intake). This kit eliminates the PCV valve on the passanger side (the drive side was and is now still just a vent tube), allowing the engine to vent to the peterson canister, thus eliminating the vacum from the intake to the cylinder heads and the blow by.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel