The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
so, with all that engine sophistication and tunability, why can't tuners reduce lift and duration to stock cam specs below 4k and then ramp them up where these cams take over on making power? That would be the big win! makes me want to have a #8 failure and "have" to get a new engine in there ;)

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
pufferfish said:
so, with all that engine sophistication and tunability, why can't tuners reduce lift and duration to stock cam specs below 4k and then ramp them up where these cams take over on making power? That would be the big win! makes me want to have a #8 failure and "have" to get a new engine in there ;)

Unless I'm missing something, lift is dictated by the OD of the cam lobes. Variable lift is something we'll see in the future as engineers make direct valve operation more robust, but for now I don't think there's a way to do much other than phasing/adjustment of event timing.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
captdistraction said:
Unless I'm missing something, lift is dictated by the OD of the cam lobes. Variable lift is something we'll see in the future as engineers make direct valve operation more robust, but for now I don't think there's a way to do much other than phasing/adjustment of event timing.
ah, you are correct sir. i thought it has variable lift as well. but its not jetsons technology. its here and now. some manufacturer has this feature in production already. can't remember who off hand.

that said, even with just the ability to shorten timing, you should be able to get close to mimicking the air movement charateristics of a cam with less lift. right?

The TI-VCT system can just change cam timing (advance/retard) it can't change lift or duration. But altering cam timing does allow you to change overlap, so you can have a larger lobe separation angle at low rpm and a smaller angle (more overlap) at higher rpm.

captdistraction said:

I believe it is Toyota that is playing around with electronic opening and closing of the valves with solenoids. That will give you what you are talking about, the cam timing, lift, duration, overlap and any other significant factors can be controlled by the computer and will be modifiable in a " tune " .

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
no, i believe its production stuff with mechanically actuated cams. if i remember right, there was some sort of variable squish lifter that was able to limit the cam lift being transmitted to the rocker arm and thus, to the valve. a lesser version is found with chrysler's hemi cylinder deactivation. it just fully collapses the lifter to make zero lift when the cylinder is shut down.

holy off topic batman! lets get back to making some sick power out of these mouse motors!

Justin said:
I dont think so. the intake is still not out I think that is the issue
It's available but in limited quantities. A couple of members with a 302S have them installed.

If there is enough interest in making a Cold air induction system specific for the Cobra Jet Manifold swap, I can make a set up to market and all. Considering making a full swap kit everything including intake manifold to air filter.

TMO Supporting Vendors