The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racered302 said:
I seen this on another forum. http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15658-cobra-jet-intake-manifold-dyno-testing/
Tim already posted that here. His engine was not stock to begin with. We want to see what a stock engine with the CJ intake, CAI and tune will do.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Tim already posted that here. His engine was not stock to begin with. We want to see what a stock engine with the CJ intake, CAI and tune will do.

ding ding ding!!

zzyzx

Steve
BOSSPOWER said:
501 RWHP and 397 Torque, they will try it cold tomorrow!

Those are some serious numbers! Based on the minimal torque increase, looks like the 500+ HP is happening way up there in the RPMs... beautiful!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Did I win a cold beer? :p

I think I will owe you a case by the time LeMons Thunderhill rolls around...I hope you like Coors Lite or Corona...

zzyzx

Steve
sadil said:
Next step would be ported-increased-flow heads. I think that's where I would stop. Should be making 500+ RWHP....dreamy :)

Nope, nothing to be gained there, the heads are as good as they're gonna get:

Likewise, Ford Racing and several of its partners tried to best the performance of the stock RoadRunner cylinder heads--to no avail. "We did our own CNC head. We actually got unported Boss heads. We were going to develop a Ford Racing head. Basically, from interfacing with the mainstream guys, we knew it would be difficult to get more power without putting bigger valves in it," said Robert Denewith, Powertrain Engineering supervisor at Ford Racing.

As it turned out, the mainstream guys were right; several companies tried to better the head via porting and didn't. The move to larger valves was deemed cost-prohibitive, but on the cam side of things, the work was already done on the Boss.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/viewall.html#ixzz2QrghZtCr

zzyzx said:
Nope, nothing to be gained there, the heads are as good as they're gonna get:

Likewise, Ford Racing and several of its partners tried to best the performance of the stock RoadRunner cylinder heads--to no avail. "We did our own CNC head. We actually got unported Boss heads. We were going to develop a Ford Racing head. Basically, from interfacing with the mainstream guys, we knew it would be difficult to get more power without putting bigger valves in it," said Robert Denewith, Powertrain Engineering supervisor at Ford Racing.

As it turned out, the mainstream guys were right; several companies tried to better the head via porting and didn't. The move to larger valves was deemed cost-prohibitive, but on the cam side of things, the work was already done on the Boss.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1207_coyote_5_0_engine/viewall.html#ixzz2QrghZtCr

When talking heads, that is the part that everyone seems to forget about. These should yield some more gains while the stage 3 heads should get slightly better results with bigger intake and exhaust ports but by the same token sometimes bigger isn't better and I imagine for most N/A applications the Stage 2 heads would be the better option than the stage 3s

http://www.jpcracing.com/coyotergr-jpc-cnc-stage-2-cylinder-heads/

zzyzx

Steve
A Coyote head is not a Boss head. Not even made from the same alloy... bottom line if the CobraJet engineers determine the heads don't need to be massaged and only need to change the cams, I have no problem trusting their conclusions. :)

Hi guys,

I would like to first that the team of POWER BY THE HOUR for making this happen, Frank, Jake and Ken. You will not find a more respectable and professional shop out there. Since we first met I told them I wanted to make the most RWHP N/A possible and they made it happen...501 RWHP & 397 TORQUE, all I can say is wow and thank you. Please stay tuned to the full review on 5.0 Mustangs magazine.

Regards,

Manuel

NFSBOSS said:

My bad, I must have missed it then reposted. The only mods I saw on this page was the exhaust.

NFSBOSS said:

I think you need to add the throttle body to that list.

zzyzx said:
A Coyote head is not a Boss head. Not even made from the same alloy... bottom line if the CobraJet engineers determine the heads don't need to be massaged and only need to change the cams, I have no problem trusting their conclusions. :)

Im a cyl head guy done many many sets for all kinds of
Class racing
I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that there is room for improvement
Dont beleive me ill do a set for anyone here and in there testing if the car does not dyno
trap speed higher et faster
Lap tome faster ill give em the heads its simple there is not a single set of strickly cnc heads in any class racing holding a record they have all been touched by hands after the cnc work

I think at one point i remember hearing fords tune couldnt be beat either

Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
gremlinsteve said:
Im a cyl head guy done many many sets for all kinds of
Class racing
I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that there is room for improvement
Dont beleive me ill do a set for anyone here and in there testing if the car does not dyno
trap speed higher et faster
Lap tome faster ill give em the heads its simple there is not a single set of strickly cnc heads in any class racing holding a record they have all been touched by hands after the cnc work

I think at one point i remember hearing fords tune couldnt be beat either

Steve
from what I gathered from the article is they were saying there is more in the head only if you go with bigger valves and for the added cost it wasnt worth the extra money for the power gain when they got more power from a cam swap which is cheaper for them on a production level.

long story short.....need to run bigger valves to gain hp out of these boss heads.

steveespo said:
Is there even room in the Boss head for larger valves? I don't know the dimensions but the spacing betwee both the intake and exhaust valves looks pretty close already there has to be room for the new seats to fit in the casting if you upsize.
Steve

Ill say one word
i know i can pick up about 20 cfm using my method and cutter

Valvejob.

Im being vague but trade secrets are coveted greatly in that field

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel