The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know Livernois and RGR are doing this, I am sure L&M will do bigger valves as well.

http://www.jpcracing.com/coyotergr-jpc-cnc-stage-2-cylinder-heads/

If you want you can talk to Eric or Justin or Aaron or Shannon. JPC is a top notch shop and RGR is one of the best in the business.

Somewhat OT, but if Ford releases a Boss replacement in 2015 (rumored to be called a GT350 though that name would be confusing IMO) it would be pretty trivial for them to start with a Boss long block, add the Cobra Jet intake manifold and intake cams, upgraded ignition trigger wheel, and maybe open element airbox from the GT500 with 123mm MAF, and get damn close to 500 hp at the flywheel. Even better than the power bump would be the thought of an American production V8 with an 8100 RPM redline.

if it was me looking at it from a cyl head guy perspective, i would worry more about the shape of the valve, the material the valve is made of and the valve job.
the port size is pretty decent as is, but it can and should be cleaned up. i know that the step over rate of the cnc program being used to do these heads is decent, but it can still be cleaned up.

so, use a Ti valve from ferrera. use a really good cutter when making the cuts on the valve job, (my cutter is contoured by hand fyi...) and then use a good spring pack. the car should pull harder out of the corners, accelerate harder and much faster due to the lightweight valve train. make up some custom Ti retainers also. slash the valve train weight by half easy.

i would work on chamber volume also. and add some trick i know in that area. thats what i would do. and prolly will on mine.

i have access to over 250 lobes for these motors also. but thats another story....lol

Rich_S said:
Somewhat OT, but if Ford releases a Boss replacement in 2015 (rumored to be called a GT350 though that name would be confusing IMO) it would be pretty trivial for them to start with a Boss long block, add the Cobra Jet intake manifold and intake cams, upgraded ignition trigger wheel, and maybe open element airbox from the GT500 with 123mm MAF, and get damn close to 500 hp at the flywheel. Even better than the power bump would be the thought of an American production V8 with an 8100 RPM redline.

I expect if they fire back with another car, it will have the N/A CJ motor in it, it comes rated at 500 horse. I don't think you can buy the Boss motor anymore. Who knows, they have been very very quiet about what they have in the works.

Well guys so far so good, drove from Miami to Clearwater today and all I can say is WOW. After 5,000rpm it feels like its on NOS, and yes I had a few kills along the way :D

Regards,

Manuel

gremlinsteve said:
if it was me looking at it from a cyl head guy perspective, i would worry more about the shape of the valve, the material the valve is made of and the valve job.
the port size is pretty decent as is, but it can and should be cleaned up. i know that the step over rate of the cnc program being used to do these heads is decent, but it can still be cleaned up.

so, use a Ti valve from ferrera. use a really good cutter when making the cuts on the valve job, (my cutter is contoured by hand fyi...) and then use a good spring pack. the car should pull harder out of the corners, accelerate harder and much faster due to the lightweight valve train. make up some custom Ti retainers also. slash the valve train weight by half easy.

i would work on chamber volume also. and add some trick i know in that area. thats what i would do. and prolly will on mine.

i have access to over 250 lobes for these motors also. but thats another story....lol

Could you do all that to a 3V? 8) I dream of a 8000 rpm redline on my blown 4.6.

of course.
you should see what a harley davidson does when you do that.
60 percent drop in valve train weight...damn thing starts acting like a rpm loving jap bike...

or you could really get exotic and use the old formula one type valve. ceramic stuff. they outlawed it in f-1 now, but i think you can still get the stuff. there not cheap though. like 900 a valve...lol

NewBossowner said:
I expect if they fire back with another car, it will have the N/A CJ motor in it, it comes rated at 500 horse. I don't think you can buy the Boss motor anymore. Who knows, they have been very very quiet about what they have in the works.

The NA Cobra Jet crate motor has 12:1 compression (not going to be pump gas friendly) and is custom sleeved and overbored by Livernois (not production friendly). Also, the exhaust cams may be too much for factory emissions. You'll see CJ tech trickle down to the production 5.0, not CJ crate engines being used in production cars.

gremlinsteve said:
c an we see some dyno graphs?
what where the end numbers after the cool down?

steve
Sorry, I have to wait on posting the dyno graphs as it was part of the agreement with PBH & 5.0 Mustang.

Regards,

Manuel

Rich_S said:
The NA Cobra Jet crate motor has 12:1 compression (not going to be pump gas friendly) and is custom sleeved and overbored by Livernois (not production friendly). Also, the exhaust cams may be too much for factory emissions. You'll see CJ tech trickle down to the production 5.0, not CJ crate engines being used in production cars.

weve been running as much as 14.4 to one in some motors. its all in the tune. this is using pump gas btw...

and they pass any federal emissions test

I ran a forged 14:1 6.1 Hemi witj GremlinSteves cam, heads and manifold on 93 for a long time with zero issues. All in the tune. Hell, i ran the stock bottom end 5.7 up to 13:5:1 CR on 93 with no issue untill my oil pump failed.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Justin said:
what are people doing for a CAI elbow? does the one for a 2010 fit?
looking on ford's site and going to their install instructions looks like the CAI kit for the Cobra jet intake will be out 3rd quarter.
the nice part is go to the last page and you can see it looks like it will be made by Airaid. maybe they will make a nice carbon fiber version down the road where you can just replace the elbow if you already own an airaid CAI.
[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9424-M50CJ_.pdf[/pdf]

Hi there,

Here is the update on the car, running a like a rock...FYI, for those who do not know this is my daily driver. Punishment ;) is daily and top speed is reached once a week.

On another note, I do not know if you guys have heard, but theres a recall on the CJ Intakes, listen to what the Ford Racing Tech support told me even after I mentioned that my car and build was going to be on 5.0 Mustangs and would helped them sell some intakes; "please buy another intake to have you first in line for the new revised version of the CJ Intakes" this is so much BS, and the other "good" part is that the ETA is 4-8 weeks, some they want me to tie down $800 for 4-8 weeks and then give me a credit when they receive my intake...seriously??? Well, I sent them another e-mail, so let's see what they say.

Regards,

Manuel

Justin said:
looking on ford's site and going to their install instructions looks like the CAI kit for the Cobra jet intake will be out 3rd quarter.the nice part is go to the last page and you can see it looks like it will be made by Airaid. maybe they will make a nice carbon fiber version down the road where you can just replace the elbow if you already own an airaid CAI.
[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9424-M50CJ_.pdf[/pdf]
I heard that this weekend. Hopefully sometime 3rd quarter is in time for the mobile dyno at the Mustang Roundup on 9/20 ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel