The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Suspension Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast Ford News has Ford Racing BOSS 302 specific lowering springs part number M-5300-T. Lowers rear by 35mm (about 1.5 inch) and front by 15mm (just past 1/2 inch). Price is $369 from Ford or about $ 320 from Summit. Ordered them along with the Hotchkis adjustable panard rod. Other completed upgrades are the x-brace, 302S grill, front brake cooling and trans scoop. Track time soon!

snowboss said:
Fast Ford News has Ford Racing BOSS 302 specific lowering springs part number M-5300-T. Lowers rear by 35mm (about 1.5 inch) and front by 15mm (just past 1/2 inch). Price is $369 from Ford or about $ 320 from Summit. Ordered them along with the Hotchkis adjustable panard rod. Other completed upgrades are the x-brace, 302S grill, front brake cooling and trans scoop. Track time soon!

I paid $299 shipped for the T springs from buyfordracing.com
I hear Tousley Ford has them for a few bucks cheaper than that.

Just installed the new Boss specific lowering springs from Ford Racing (5300T). I really don't have a good feel for how the springs will impact handling at this point. I am, however, pleased with the improvement to the stance. Here are some measurements and pics for those of you that may be considering these.

Stock Springs
Boss888_Stock_Springs_zps0665fc96.jpg
After Lowering
Boss888_5300T_Lowering_Springs_zps263c9916.jpg

Measurements with stock springs
Front – Ground to wheel well opening – 28 1/8”
Rear – Ground to wheel well opening – 29 1/8”

Measurements with Ford Racing Boss Lowering Springs 5300T
Front – Ground to wheel well opening – 27 5/8”
Rear – Ground to wheel well opening – 27 7/8”

Differences:
Front – 1/2”
Rear – 1 1/4”

Rear Springs Labeled 5300KR

Boss_Rear_5300KR_zpsdc0859a5.jpg

Boss888 said:
Just installed the new Boss specific lowering springs from Ford Racing (5300T). Here are some measurements for those of you that may be considering these.

Measurements with stock springs
Front – Ground to wheel well opening – 28 1/8”
Rear – Ground to wheel well opening – 29 1/8”

Measurements with Ford Racing Boss Lowering Springs 5300T
Front – Ground to wheel well opening – 27 5/8”
Rear – Ground to wheel well opening – 27 7/8”

Differences:
Front – 1/2”
Rear – 1 1/4”

I really don't have a good feel for how the springs will impact handling at this point. I am, however, pleased with the improvement to the stance. I'll post a few pics as soon.
Welcome to BMO and thanks for sharing that info. it looks like the drop the car about a 1/4" more than the P springs, maybe a touch more in the front. I'd like to drive a stock Boss and one with the T springs back to back to compare the difference. The P springs are stiffer than stock but not by a large amount.

So, we're supposed to buy these M-5300-T's when Ford won't put the spring rates on their spec sheets for these, on web site or in the catalog. All we're buying is "harsher ride" and a lower car? I can get that by cutting off 1/4 of a coil.

Anybody got the specs on the rates? Eibach provides theirs, is Ford afraid of the comparison?

Mike

Any recommendations for a GT with track pack? Not looking to go nuts, just improve track performance with minimal impact on street ability. Will probably run R compounds or slick castoffs on some 18x10 wheel.

Thanks

cosm3os said:
Any recommendations for a GT with track pack? Not looking to go nuts, just improve track performance with minimal impact on street ability. Will probably run R compounds or slick castoffs on some 18x10 wheel.

Thanks
If you're going to run slicks You'll probably want to go nuts. ;) What I did, check the beginning of this thread, is a starting point and works well on the street. But it's far from optimal for putting down the fastest lap times.

Yah, I got lucky when I made the switch from SM to SE30, but I want the stretched look!

Map--friggin autocorrect!

Now that I'm in front of a laptop, maybe I can elaborate:

I've been on track and racing for 13 years. I don't want to go as far as coilovers. Heck, I'd even avoid anything adjustable just cause I never adjust! Just looking for the equivalent of my E36 on a sport suspension--competent on track/eliminate the dive, but no worse on the street than the Trak Pak stuff.

Looks like the FRPP is the way to go. Maybe some camber plates and call it a day. Thoughts?

cosm3os said:
Yah, I got lucky when I made the switch from SM to SE30, but I want the stretched look!

Map--friggin autocorrect!

Now that I'm in front of a laptop, maybe I can elaborate:

I've been on track and racing for 13 years. I don't want to go as far as coilovers. Heck, I'd even avoid anything adjustable just cause I never adjust! Just looking for the equivalent of my E36 on a sport suspension--competent on track/eliminate the dive, but no worse on the street than the Trak Pak stuff.

Looks like the FRPP is the way to go. Maybe some camber plates and call it a day. Thoughts?

Well the S197 chassis is the best Mustang to date; it's no E36, a lot of mass unlike your BMW. You want to run slicks, even with the FRPP stuff there will be a lot of rubber in the suspension. The rubber will equal deflection, body roll and more.....You want a daily driver then its urethane and no hemi joints or delrin for you.

I've been tracking the S197 chassis since '06, the 5.0 engine doesn't need more power, and you have the torsen diff(magic) so yes fix the suspension. The FRPP stuff is OK but let’s look at what you get and some other options.

You related you didn't want anything adjustable but if I was you I'd really think about at least a single adjustable damper, even if you set it up once and leave it, everything from Ford is kind of under dampened. Especially if you want to run slicks.

Let's start with the 2005-2014 MUSTANG GT COUPE ASSEMBLED HANDLING PACK ADJUSTABLE/M-FR3A-MGTAA @ $2,195 http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23040

Ford Racing Adjustable shocks and struts = TOKICO illumina Series shock and struts, both are under dampened IMO. Go with Koni Sports(yellows), yes they are adjustable you can adjust them in five minutes for the control you what at the track and then soften them up for a stock like ride, day-to-day

Ford Racing Sway Bars/05-14 = Eibach/11-14, both are front adjustable the FFRP rear bar is not adjustable the Eibach is three position adjustable go with the Eibach stuff so you have options later. Or go with Sam Stranos Front and Rear Bars only $359.99 add his front end link and get rid of sway bar preload(ask me if you want to know what this is), Sway bars + his 1049 Adjustable End-links $519. Set the front to the middle and the rear to full soft.

Springs, you can get away with about an inch lower that stock without upsetting the geometry, be careful here to low and you'll be bouncing off of the rear bump stops. Remember if you go lower than one inch with the Mustang you'll be looking at different ball joints and a bump steer kit. A good comprise is the Steeda Sport Springs $275.00 lowers the car 1 inch in front, 1 1/4 inch in rear, really helps with nose dive.

Adjustable Panhard Bar, needed to re-center the rear FRPP price $279.00, has urethane bushings. Hotchkis is similar and has urethane bushings, $169.00

Bump stops, FRPP $26.

So I was looking to have a great dual purpose car:

Koni Sports (Yellows) $639.00
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=890&CategoryID=199&ModelID=35

Sam Stano Sway bars + endlinks $519.99
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=871&CategoryID=200&ModelID=35

Hotchkis Panhard bar $169.00
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=692&CategoryID=208&ModelID=35

FRPP Jounce Bumper Kit $26.00
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12272

Recap

2005-2014 MUSTANG GT COUPE ASSEMBLED HANDLING PACK ADJUSTABLE/M-FR3A-MGTAA @ $2,195

My "Kit" $1,353.99

We still have $841.00 vs the FRPP Kit and much better components!

OK you want Camber/Caster Plates the standard IMO is Maximum Motosports , yes there's also Vorshlag, MM at $329.00 vs Vorshlag at $439.00 you decide.......
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=885&CategoryID=224&ModelID=35

Now you're at $1,682.99 still under the adjustable kit from FRPP's.

You could stop here but..........

When you lower a Mustang.......the rear should have lower control arm brackets to correct the geometry, the FRPP is one of the best. But the stock control arms won't work, FRPP Boss 302R arms are OK, the better option are the ones from the Boss302S but they over priced at like $535.00. Other options are out there at better prices.

So moving to the upper rear control arm well let's say it really flops around, you also what to correct the pinion angle after lowering the car so you should get an adjustable link. Steeda has great options here.

FRPP Lower Control Arm Re-Location brackets / M-5650-A $179.99
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13112

Adjustable Lower Control Arms / Steeda Lower Control Arms: Adjustable Street/Race w/urethane bushings $230.00
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=526&CategoryID=201&ModelID=35

Adjustable Upper Control Arm - Street $174.50
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=834&CategoryID=207&ModelID=35

Then there's the front hydro bushings that allow a ton of suspension deflection under braking(nosedive), at turn in etc.

I'd spring for the Whiteline kit less nose dive and you can dial in 1 more degree of caster $300.51
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=948&CategoryID=201&ModelID=35

Total for all components on my dream list $2267.48. That’s less than the FRPP Kit and Caster/Camber Plates, $2524 and you’ve corrected the “problems” vs stock for the track and you'll still have a nice daily driver.

Sorry for shitting up the FRPP thread with non-FRPPs stuff, but cosm3os asked for thoughts....

---------------

You might also look at a trans cooler scoop, passenger side oil separator, titanium brake heat shields http://hardbrakes.com/ and brake cooling mods.

Doug

Great writeup, Doug. I understand the compromises between pure track/race and street but just needed someone to help me apply what I know about BMW products to this chassis. I am very familiar with Koni as I loved them on my E36. I'm gonna take a look at all your recommendations.

Thanks.

NFSBOSS said:
Nice overview of options but remember nobody pays retail for the FR handling package. Here it is for $500 less than you quoted and just about everyone sells it for $300-400 less.

http://fordracingparts123.com/chassis-parts/handling-packs/2005-13-must-gt-adjustable-handling-pack-assembled-m-fr3a-mgtaa/?gclid=CPCTlJ7lrLkCFaU5QgodwGYAkA

Holy crap! Is this site the best prices on FR stuff? Glad I saw this before I started ordering!

Thanks NFSBOSS for the hook up.
So far I have already found the Clutch line I wanted $34.00 less than Steeda.
Even with their Military discount, they will not be able to match that.
It is appreciated!
V/r
Mike

Just for that I think I need to get a BOSS Mustangs OnLine T-Shirt 8)

Sorry if I missed it but I did not find a clear answer to this question:
Are the M-18000-C FORD RACING dampers an UPGRADE to the OEM Laguna Seca TOKIKOS? or a DOWNGRADE? or an EQUIVALENT product?
+ What type of camber plate did the boss owners who switched to the M-18000-C use? The same as with their OEM dampers?
Thank you.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
We have head that the 18000's are an upgrade from the standpoint that they have more adjustment values butvtye actual dampers are not much different. I have an LS, and have chosen to skip the 18000 and go directly to a 2 valve remote resevior damper when the budget allows. I don't find the KS dampers to be bad at all. Swapping out LCA"s and bushings were a better improvement per investment dollar.

-Pete

NFSBOSS said:
Nice overview of options but remember nobody pays retail for the FR handling package. Here it is for $500 less than you quoted and just about everyone sells it for $300-400 less.
)
http://fordracingparts123.com/chassis-parts/handling-packs/2005-13-must-gt-adjustable-handling-pack-assembled-m-fr3a-mgtaa/?gclid=CPCTlJ7lrLkCFaU5QgodwGYAkA

NFS BOSS.
What type and sizes are your tires on the Enkei in your signature?
(I guess the Enkei wheels are 18x9.5 & 18x10.5)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel