The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Special Event August 25th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
The order is determined by who's the closest to the track right? Guess I'm ordering numbers for the car based on the email sent out. I hope I don't duplicate anyone's number :).

Surfergeek said:
Sent an email to reserve a garage spot ...

Add Jared/Tom & Taylor down for a garage stall.

Looking forward to getting out on the track again.
Is Tom sharing one with you?

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
There have been a couple comments about sound. I've been there on a 90 day and gotten through clean with the stock exhaust on my GT500, and ding'd (meatballed) twice another day. It can all come down to how dense any sort of low clouds are that keep sound from dissipating.

My suggestion is run your normal speed(s) the first session (depending on group) as that should be the most sensitive time all day. Unless you have a really aggressive system, I don't see A group drivers having an issue before noon. If you get "meatballed" (black flag with red dot in center noting mechanical), don't despair as there is hope. First- Do not go into the paddock directly. The staff that run sound at the track (not HOD) *really* are not fans of trying to find you in the paddock- and you may not have been pulled for sound. Exit into the hot pits before turn 11 and drive to the flag station at the end of the hot pits to talk to the staff there. They will tell you if you got pegged for sound, or what else it could be been that got their attention.

If it does wind up being for sound the number of course will matter. if you're close, that's fixable. a couple different easy ways. One is to shift very early into the next higher gear headed up the hill out of turn 5 headed for turn 6 let your torque do the work vs howling up the hill at 6-7 grand. When you talk to the flag staff for sound, tell the flag staff you want a "sound check" for the next session. They will tell you to line up first for the start of next your session and will give you a head start so they can get a "clean" sample of "whatever you did" to adjust your sound level. Go out and run a couple laps (they will say how many) and then return to the hot pits for your new number. If you're clean you will be sent back out to the track and all good. If you fail again they will ask you to return to the paddock and "do something to change your exhaust". The good news is if you fail at the sound check, it doesn't count against you as another meatball. What you do is up to you. If you are way over due to modded exhaust you've got work ahead of you or really, really lift off the throttle in the area mention above. Lifting up that hill doesn't mean slow down, it doesn't take much to keep you under. the maybe half second/ second lost there can easily made up learning to do something like carry your speed through 6 at the top of that hill or other areas of the track. Almost all cars come out of the day without sound issues.

You get 3 "strikes" on the meatball so you always want to do sound checks if you get one and want to get any track time under those conditions.

Hope that helps and of course other feedback welcome.

Wingrider

I am not proclaiming to be a whiz around the track, but I am happy to do ride alongs in other groups as well as take passengers out while we are there on the 25th for anyone interested. I may also do coach rides at lunch but haven't decided on that one. Maybe I can do them for just the BMO'ers. I'd have to ask Dev and the gang.

The goal is of course safe fun and learning the track so if the driver I'm coaching in A becomes cleared for solo driving I can offer lead/follows in A or other groups too.

Hey if you've got a good line you'd like to share I'm all ears too. I picked up a couple things from a coach when I was at Sonoma week before last while we were tearing it up. It's said nobody has ever driven the perfect line on this track...

-Wingrider

Wingrider said:
.... from about 100 feet away on the right side?

100 feet? I tested it with the meter 30 feet away. Is it really that far to the sound booth? My car drones as is so I'm dead set on getting at least that problem solved.

NFSBOSS said:
Well neema if you had side pipes I could help but you don't so try the curved tail pipe trick.

Wingrider, I'm always open for a coach and it would be great if you would ride with me for a session. I've only been to LS twice and am finally getting so I can flat foot it down the front straight. I'm sure I'm leaving lots of time in turn 2 though.

I appreciate it Rick. I'll give it a shot. I hoping to turn this:

IMG_2255.jpg

into this!

lag08sd8.jpg

Wingrider

NFSBOSS said:
Well neema if you had side pipes I could help but you don't so try the curved tail pipe trick.

Wingrider, I'm always open for a coach and it would be great if you would ride with me for a session. I've only been to LS twice and am finally getting so I can flat foot it down the front straight. I'm sure I'm leaving lots of time in turn 2 though.

Goodies Speed Shop located out by Club Auto Sport at Junction and Charcot in San Jose makes those curved tailpipes but I have not had the chance to investigate them myself.

I'm happy to ride along with folks for a couple laps or full sessions so yes lets ride!

Grant 302 said:
Can't you just bolt up a pair of stock axle backs? Bring a set with you just in case? My guess is that you'll pass.

For sure you'd pass with the stock mufflers, but they're so anemic that it would be like castrating the car. Ill bring them as last resort

I'm looking into adding a flanged glasspack style muffler into the center section. Something I can pop in and out depending on noise requirements

Grant 302 said:
Can't you just bolt up a pair of stock axle backs? Bring a set with you just in case? My guess is that you'll pass.

For sure you'd pass with the stock mufflers, but they're so anemic that it would be like castrating the car. Ill bring them as last resort

I'm looking into adding a flanged glasspack style muffler into the center section. Something I can pop in and out depending on noise requirements

ufnavy06

So out of curiosity, who's going to the early check-in and is it anything more than a meet and greet?

Also, anyone have a spare stock rim they might be willing to sell and bring with them?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Dinner?

Does anyone want to meet for dinner or drinks on the 24th? I was thinking of meeting at the Hyatt hotel for the early check-in at 6:00 PM and then grabbing dinner at the sports bar at the hotel. It's called Knuckles. I'm up for other ideas too. If so please post up.

http://monterey.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/KnucklesSportsBar.html

ufnavy06

Is it 7" or 6"? I thought the email said 6". Either way, Pete's taking care of it for me. As far as dinner/drinks on Saturday, I'm game as long as the family can come. I don't want to leave her out and she doesn't get out as much since our son was born. BTW, any problems with them coming to the track at some point?

TMO Supporting Vendors