The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Special Event August 25th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good work on getting everything organized, Rick! I probably won't make it down on Sat night since I'm playing in the company golf tournament that day. But I'll be out to the track shortly after 7.

Who else is in our run group?

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
Re: HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Update

NFSBOSS said:
Update:... Numbers
Don't forget you'll need at least 7" numbers for your car.

While they may not be super snazzy, 1 inch blue painters tape can also used to create numbers for the sides of the car. For the upper right of the windshield, Dito with Got blue Milk Photography *should* have smaller complimentary numbers in his trailer to put on the upper right of of your windshield- usually below your group letter. The usual track official at the front of the grid (not HOD staff) is really a stickler for these numbers not only being the right size/width, but contrasting to the background. So don't be "that guy" that gets sent out of the line scrambling for numbers.

Plus - Dito's numbers make it easier to find the cool pics he will be taking of your car while out on the track. :)

My .02

-Wingrider

Fat Boss said:
Good work on getting everything organized, Rick! I probably won't make it down on Sat night since I'm playing in the company golf tournament that day. But I'll be out to the track shortly after 7.

Who else is in our run group?
I didn't get the run groups for everyone but many of us are in C. Paul, Bret, Ron, you and me are all in C.

I won't make it to Knuckles on Saturday night, but I'll try to wake up with you guys over a cup of coffee come Sunday morning.

See you guys in group C!

Update: comment on paying for the garage.

Just over 4 days away and I can't wait. Here's some info:

Parking
The Boss Corral will be directly in front of the garages below. Please park there if you're not using a garage. Another HOD instructor and fellow Boss 302 LS owner Jarrett will be around to help us organize the parking and answer any questions for you. He rode with me at Thunderhill in May and is a great guy.

Garage Assignments
You will pay for your garage when you check-in. Please have one person pay the $100 and collect the money from the person you're sharing the garage with. Thanks.
#20 HOD Staff
#19 Paul and Bret
#18 Andy and Rick
#17 Ron and Bobby
#16 Jared and Taylor
#15 Doug

Group Photo at Lunchtime

"Stage all Mustangs that want to be in the photo at 12:45 in the pre grid area….I recommend everyone bring a helmet so we can have them in one of the photos…Dito (the photographer) will take several shots. We will enter the track when the demo rides are over at 12:55 and do a U-turn under the Mazda Bridge and head back down the main straight. Cars will line up three wide about 1/3 the way down the track from the bridge. Jarrett and I will assist in the staging. Dito will take several different shots…everyone in front of the car, everyone waving, maybe one with helmets on, etc. The photo shoot will be over by 1:10 and we will drive down the track counter clockwise and do a U-Turn at the end of the pit wall and exit to the Paddock through the road next to the restrooms at the end of the garages….Those with garages should exit this way and enter the garages from the paddock side. It slows the process if everyone enters from the track side….the D group goes live at 1:15 and we need to be clear of the track by that time."

Sunday Morning
I will have Starbucks coffee and some pasteries in the garage. Please stop by and say hello and grab a cup of coffee. See you all there!

Numbers

Don't forget you'll need at least 6" numbers for your car.

Jared aka SurferGeek is in C as well. 8)

Just inspected the brakes and put some half inch disks in the side pipes. Also playing around with the GoPro mount, evaluating maybe using the splitter as a mount.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Next time hopefully I'll be confident enough to jump up a group. I think there's another HOD event near Thanksgiving at LS that I can attend. :)

Re: HOD "Do the Screw in Your 302" Updated garage assignments

Update: garage assignments changed.

Just over 4 days away and I can't wait. Here's some info:

Parking
The Boss Corral will be directly in front of the garages below. Please park there if you're not using a garage. Another HOD instructor and fellow Boss 302 LS owner Jarrett will be around to help us organize the parking and answer any questions for you. He rode with me at Thunderhill in May and is a great guy.

Garage Assignments
You will pay for your garage when you check-in. Please have one person pay the $100 and collect the money from the person you're sharing the garage with. Thanks.
#20 HOD Staff
#18 Paul and Bret
#17 Andy and Rick
#16 Ron and Bobby
#15 Jared and Taylor
#14 Doug

Group Photo at Lunchtime

"Stage all Mustangs that want to be in the photo at 12:45 in the pre grid area….I recommend everyone bring a helmet so we can have them in one of the photos…Dito (the photographer) will take several shots. We will enter the track when the demo rides are over at 12:55 and do a U-turn under the Mazda Bridge and head back down the main straight. Cars will line up three wide about 1/3 the way down the track from the bridge. Jarrett and I will assist in the staging. Dito will take several different shots…everyone in front of the car, everyone waving, maybe one with helmets on, etc. The photo shoot will be over by 1:10 and we will drive down the track counter clockwise and do a U-Turn at the end of the pit wall and exit to the Paddock through the road next to the restrooms at the end of the garages….Those with garages should exit this way and enter the garages from the paddock side. It slows the process if everyone enters from the track side….the D group goes live at 1:15 and we need to be clear of the track by that time."

Sunday Morning
I will have Starbucks coffee and some pasteries in the garage. Please stop by and say hello and grab a cup of coffee. See you all there!

Numbers

Don't forget you'll need at least 6" numbers for your car.

Wingrider

ufnavy06 said:
Next time hopefully I'll be confident enough to jump up a group. I think there's another HOD event near Thanksgiving at LS that I can attend. :)

I am confident you will have a great time and it's good to get the basics dialed in at LS early on. Everyone settles into their own groove after a session or two. Don't sweat what run group you're in as everybody gets the same amount of track time. :)

Wingrider

I'm sorry if some of this is in the email attendees received from HOD, but I wanted to pass late info along and add a couple tips.

- Driver check-in will be above the garages in Suite 9 and not at the usual classroom at the far left of the paddock.

- A Group drivers: The first 2 laps of the first session are typically done with your coach at the wheel under caution and at low speed. This is to help the student focus on looking around the track and listening to the basics from the coach to help familiarize the driver with the track. At the end of the second lap the cars exit the track to the hot pits so coaches and drivers can switch seats before heading back out to the track. I mention this because I was coaching a student with a brand new ZL1 (less than 400 miles on it) and he got a look of fear when I came up to ask to take the wheel. While I don't think this is mandatory, it really does help and I assure you we're not headed out to hoon the student car around the track.

- New for this track day: the second "A Group" session of the day will start with a few passing drills. Cars will be paired up and each pair will do a passing of their partner in each of the passing zones. This should help work on awareness, clear hand signals, and avoiding bad habits such as pinching off the passed vehicle or passing too late in the zone. Details on this exercise will be provided in the A group classroom segments.

Couple tips:

- Avoid setting your parking brake after each track session. Pads have been known to adhere to rotors when hot and that's not a fun thing to try and resolve.

- The garages at Laguna have rolling doors on both ends. HOD may not allow access to the track directly from the track side rolling door. If they do, be very careful rolling out as it's blind to the entering driver and cars have been clipped by cars already rolling down that narrow alleyway. (usually leaving the tire station)

- Recheck/ re-torque your lug nuts after your first track session. You'd be surprised how often they loosen up a little. If you need to borrow a torque wrench, feel free to come see me with the silver GT500. I'd say what garage but it keeps moving ;-)

- Keep an eye on your tire pressures. They can rise quite a bit if you are really working the car. Unfortunately Guy from Big-O will not be at the track Sunday, but normally he is a huge resource and does free air/nitrogen and analysis.

- If you find yourself getting stuck behind traffic often, think about getting to the grid a little sooner for the next session. Typically the progressively faster cars tend to gravitate to the front. If you want to take it easy and perhaps not be one of the quicker cars in your group, think about going out towards the back of the grid. HOD staff will explain what "lanes" are for faster or slower cars.

- If you get a meatball or black flag, don't take it lightly and skip exiting for a lap- exit and come to the hot pits immediately. I'm sure over 99% of the cars out Sunday won't have to worry about this.

I'm sorry if some of this is old news to some of you, but for some it is not and I'm just trying to help make sure everybody gets home having had a great time.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
What time will most of you be getting into Knuckles? I know it said 6 but don't like the idea of being the first and only one there for like 30 minutes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel