The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HPDE prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks everyone for all the outstanding suggestions. This thread was extremely helpful for me, and I think it would be very valuable to anyone, in any car, searching for advice on first-time HDPE/track prep.

(Attention Camaro drivers who arrived here via Google search: skip the part about DOT 4 brake fluid, your cars will be just fine with stock brake fluid. I'm kidding! I'm a kidder! Get the DOT 4!)

Excellent suggestions, both technical and philosophical, and I'm grateful to all who took time to share their wisdom.

Tulsa, OK
NFSBOSS said:
Here's the bottom line on the brake fluid discussion. From Page 36 of the Boss 302 Supplement:

TRACK PREPARATION
The Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition have been rigorously
proven out on race tracks. Below are recommendations for optimizing
your Boss 302 for a track day event.
• Change brake fluid to Super DOT 4 to improve track performance of
braking system (WSS-M6C65-A2), Ford part number (YS4Z-19542-AA).

None of the moderators on this forum are going to recommend anything less than that or what they consider safe. Is this "elitism"? Call it whatever you want but I call it smart. Just like me there are many members that had/have never tracked a car before let alone a heavy high powered car like the Boss 302. It's in your best interest, and everyone else on the track with you, to have your car prepared so it is safe on track. That means using high temp DOT 4 brake fluid. If you're not using DOT 4 fluid now I highly suggest you install some before your next track day regardless of your experience.

We're all here to learn as much as we can about our cars and have fun. We've been running a tight ship from the beginning and get many compliments from members about how useful the forum is and how mature everyone behaves. It's been rare that we ever have to edit or delete a post and we appreciate everyone's efforts in keeping it that way. The last thing the world needs is another "The Mustang Source". ;)

Well said, amen brotha :)

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Ok another dumb question, sorry I'm not mecahnically inclined, if you use DOT 4 do you chnage it back to DOT 3 for street driving? I ask because I have the distinct feeling that once I do Track Attack in August there will be this overwhelming desire to learn and do more events.

Tulsa, OK
Tucson302 said:
Ok another dumb question, sorry I'm not mecahnically inclined, if you use DOT 4 do you chnage it back to DOT 3 for street driving? I ask because I have the distinct feeling that once I do Track Attack in August there will be this overwhelming desire to learn and do more events.

Ha there are no dumb questions! No you can just run dot 4 all the time. The only difference I'm aware of between dot 3 and dot 4 is the higher boiling point. You won't notice a difference on the street.

Oh and to answer your other question, my thoughts are that ford didn't put dot 4 fluid in the boss due to the fact that it's a car built for the general public. The majority of boss owners will never track their car and have no need for more expensive brake fluid that will withstand heats they will never generate on the street.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
OK one more caveat about DOT4 fluids, they are more hygroscopic than DOT3 meaning they will absorb moisture faster and deteriorate faster than DOT3 fluids. That is why Ford and most manufacturers use DOT 3, longer service intervals, more stable and less corrosive when left in long. European car makers such as Porsche have specific brake fluid change requirements that are shorter than US car makers.

Since we change brake fluid often it's not an issue, just stay on top of it. The more high heat cycles the more water it will absorb.
Steve

Kudos to NFSBoss for quoting the BOSS Owner's Guide Supplement!

To the OP, and everyone else reading this thread with the intention of learning, take the time to read through the supplement a few times and definitely familiarize yourself with the section on track prep. It's there for a reason...

Follow the recommendations there, learn all you can from the instructors, remember that your limits should stay well below the car's limits and be careful of the dreaded 'open track hook' - it won't come out easily!!!!

While trying to catch up on this thread I read someone saying their instructor was pushing him to drive hard which his car couldn't entirely take. I think another good thing that anyone going into and HPDE needs to remember is that, though the instructor may know a lot, you are the one driving, and if you don't feel comfortable taking a line because it doesn't feel right or they ask you too brake too late and it makes you feel uneasy, let him know that you are just going to take it slow. I have had to tell an instructor that I didn't like his line and after showing him what felt comfortable he said it seemed faster and felt better in the car.

isrboss

I believe you were referring to my post, and I want to add. Being it was my first day driving any car at speed on a closed road course. I was at complete fault for not changing at least the brake fluid to dot4. Now having multiple track days behind me, he was not driving me deep past my abilities, it was beyond the cars ability. It felt like nothing I can express, braking that late, that hard, then making the corner. That feeling is what hooked me, so when I said he was driving me deep. It was beyond my experience, and my cars ability. If I would have just flushed in some dot4 for 30 bucks, my day would have been much better.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I picked up a case of DOT 4 on ebay for 60 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilton-Racing-TBR-1-brake-fluid-AT-UNHEARD-OF-PRICES-AND-IN-CASE-LOTS-of-12-/271041434380?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3f1b54130c&vxp=mtr

I dont track the car but it works great for me

I'm SHOCKED (HA) that no one in this thread mentioned taking a screwdriver of the correct size to adjust the shocks, and that you just might want to do it once beforehand to know what the procedure is....

I run mine at 4 in the front and 3 in the rear, but some like 5/3 or 5/4.

Also, remove your foglight covers even if you don't have the brake cooling kit.

If your radiator is covered with bugs, go to a car wash and spray it clean. It is amazing how much bugs can reduce airflow through a radiator.

Quart of oil.

Don't forget to remove *everything* from the trunk, console and inside of the car. Nothing like an outward dent on you Mustang from something rolling around in the trunk.

Take an old piece of carpet or something to put on the ground so you aren't setting stuff from inside of your car directly on the oily gravel or asphalt. If you are concerned about stuff getting stolen, a lock or a box that locks?

Don't forget water bottles/cooler/chair/umbrella/hat/gloves/driving shoes/HELMET.

If you plan on running a Go Pro or other camera, set it up ahead of time so you aren't wasting time at the track. Same with smartphone software or any other electronics you might use.

I have a Go Pro Hero 3 Black. What settings do you run on your cameras? Does the spare tire inflation stuff have to be removed from the trunk?

isrboss

If it is bolted down or secured, it can stay in the car. I use 720p on camera. If you look on the groups website that you are attending the track day with, all the info will be there especially vehicle tech.

TMO Supporting Vendors