The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCALECRAFT said:
Hi All

New guy here.

I track a 2014 Gt 500 at AAA Roval in Fontana. My car has Kenny Brown front brake cooling ducts, Carbotech front pads, and a Cortex watts link. I can hit 154.6 on OEM Good year F1s' regularly if I want to buy new front tires every time I run there.

Car 3850lbs, me 175lbs, full tank gas 92lbs = heavy!

Steve
Welcome to TMO. Post photos of your car when you get a chance.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
treynor said:
As delivered from the factory, no setup changes.
Nice package.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman said:
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca-1.45
2006 Mustang GT-Cortex JRI s/a coil overs, Watts and torque arm on 295/30/18 R7's.
Wet track with a passenger in the car

https://youtu.be/pINDlVsfwBg

You can update my time. Ran a 1:44 today

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Set two track records this weekend at Wild Horse Pass "Main" with NASA, one in race group for ST2, another in Time Trial for TT2. Also almost totaled the car when the driver's side tie rod end broke on Sunday, but that's a story for another thread.

P4zlAQW.png

vvo8tbQ.png
(Went from first overall to 8 laps down after breaking that tie rod end).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TMSBOSS said:
Impressive!!! Except for the tie rod part.

All survived in one piece I hope?

Yes, managed to avoid certain doom (but just barely so). Need to replace a few parts but nothing too crazy--haven't had a chance to really dig in yet, however.

Video:

BTW the "Chevy Camaro" #440 is actually a Porsche 991 GT3 on R7s...the 228 is some sort of Porsche full-on race car.

Last edited:
2012 Boss 302S , Pirelli 305/660-18 and 305/680-18 , Cortex Watts link , cambered diff ,
The Ridge Motorsports Park , 1:43.9
Portland International Raceway with festival , 1:19.1 , without festival , 1:11.8
Pacific Raceway , 1:27.1

VoodooBOSS said:
Tim, nice lap times. Anything new with your 302S?

Thanks , I have not done much to the car , we installed the cambered full floater diff with the brembo brakes , it's worked out great , brake pedal feel is a lot better and the overall braking is improved .
I went with -1.5 camber on the housing , tire wear and mid corner grip is noticeably better .
Planning on a motor upgrade for this season ,so I will keep you posted .

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Thanks all, and yes--concrete walls DO suck!

Here are a couple laps from Time Trial the day before, Lap #5 is the new track record for TT2:
bbrgt said:
Thanks , I have not done much to the car , we installed the cambered full floater diff with the brembo brakes , it's worked out great , brake pedal feel is a lot better and the overall braking is improved .
I went with -1.5 camber on the housing , tire wear and mid corner grip is noticeably better .
Planning on a motor upgrade for this season ,so I will keep you posted .

Where have you been!? Miss seeing video updates on youtube :) Planning a 5.2L?

Last edited:
Dropped 0.6 @ Motorsports Ranch Cresson on the 1.7 circuit (CCW). Now 1:24.9 seconds. Beautiful day, was sunny and 45 degrees or so.

Mixed feelings. Met my goal of breaking into the 24s. Did well in the SCCA club trials (won class). However, I had a flyer going that would have put me in the mid 24s and I blew it. Going back in 2 weeks with a head full of data analysis so I'm hoping to correct a few things.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Thanks all, and yes--concrete walls DO suck!

Here are a couple laps from Time Trial the day before, Lap #5 is the new track record for TT2:
https://youtu.be/dJ3BmBzgzMI

Where have you been!? Miss seeing video updates on youtube :) Planning a 5.2L?

I will post some videos this session , been busy restoring a new race car .
Thinking of a 5.2 but have all the parts for a nice 5.0

VoodooBOSS said:
Tell us about the restoration.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?board=9.0
I purchased a Matech Ford GT3 race car in August of 2015 , it was the 2010 and 2011 Brazilian FIA GT3 championship winning car .
It needed a lot more work than expected and we are just about done with the restoration.
I have documented the process and can post a link if you like .

stevbd said:
A buddy of mine posted up my best Palmer lap of 1:54.6, plus the lap before. Warning, it's really boring compared to a lot of videos on here, lol, and the audio is crap. But I'd love any tips or advice from you track rats. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5wLfmK4EoI
@stevbd sorry I didn't see this earlier. Usually when someone asks for advice on TMO they get a flood of responses! You were smooth, keeping your eyes up and checking your mirrors. All good things. I'm no expert but I'd keep your hands planted at 9 and 3. Your moving your hands way too much. By keeping your hands in a consistent position you'll have better control of your car especially if it gets out of control and you need to make corrections. Think of a modern F1 steering wheel where there is only one place to put your hands.

Thank you, Voodoo, I appreciate that very much. Yeah, keeping my hands planted is definitely the most glaring and consistent advice I've gotten. A pretty distant second and third is steering more with the throttle, and keeping my body steadier in the seat. Can't wait to practice more come spring!

TMO Supporting Vendors