The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Michelin pilot super sport vs Pzero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looking forward to hearing more. I have a set of MPSS in 275/35-19 on the way by ship along with 305/35-18 GT-I slicks. The mpss will be mainly street tires. I really liked the Dunlop DZ2, but in the rain they can be scary.

Macker said:
Did you get a chance to test out the MPSS' on the track yet? Inquiring minds need to know.... :)

Spring took its time, but last Wednesday was track premiere this year. Finally...

I went to a Norwegian track called Rudskogen, http://www.historisk-racing.no/admin/common/getImg.asp?FileID=9676. About 3 km long (1,9 miles), F1 standard, some elevation changes. Dry track, temperature 13C (55F).
First time on this track, managed to set a best lap time of 1:45, outrunning Caymans, C2s, Exiges, Miatas, Vipers and even a GT3. Most on R comps :) I was only bested by a McLaren MP4-12C, a pair of Porsche 997 Turbo S, a Porsche 997 GT3 and a Speedster Turbo with a lot of track mods.

So, impressions of the PSS.

Lateral G's of 1.0 - 1.1 (1.11 at the most).
Good grip directly out of the paddock. Got a little bit slippery after 20 minutes on the track but nothing alarming.
Really good control, they squeal a bit on the edge and if you push it a bit more they lose traction. When they slip, they do it gradually. I felt confident driving on the grip limit.
Brake performance seemed not quite as good as with the Pzeros, but I still outbrake most cars.
They took a lot of abuse without showing excessive wear; was driving that 270 degree (see pic) turn on four wheel slip over and over again. The Pzeros would have shed a lot more rubber than the PSS did.

Overall, very happy with the tires so far. Not quite the track performance of R comps, but I kept up with a lot of good handling cars on R comps in the turns. Better control and better lateral grip than the Pzeros.

If you want a tire for both DD and track days and that will be able to handle low temps and rain without losing grip - the PSS is a good choice!

/Swede

TheSwede said:
...When they slip, they do it gradually. I felt confident driving on the grip limit.

...Better control and better lateral grip than the Pzeros.

If you want a tire for both DD and track days and that will be able to handle low temps and rain without losing grip - the PSS is a good choice!

/Swede
I agree with all your points here and especially the first one. While I don't think the PSS has any more grip than the Hankook RS3 it has better release characteristics and that makes the PSS a better tire in my book.

TheSwede said:
Spring took its time, but last Wednesday was track premiere this year. Finally...

I went to a Norwegian track called Rudskogen, http://www.historisk-racing.no/admin/common/getImg.asp?FileID=9676. About 3 km long (1,9 miles), F1 standard, some elevation changes. Dry track, temperature 13C (55F).
First time on this track, managed to set a best lap time of 1:45, outrunning Caymans, C2s, Exiges, Miatas, Vipers and even a GT3. Most on R comps :) I was only bested by a McLaren MP4-12C, a pair of Porsche 997 Turbo S, a Porsche 997 GT3 and a Speedster Turbo with a lot of track mods.

So, impressions of the PSS.

Lateral G's of 1.0 - 1.1 (1.11 at the most).
Good grip directly out of the paddock. Got a little bit slippery after 20 minutes on the track but nothing alarming.
Really good control, they squeal a bit on the edge and if you push it a bit more they lose traction. When they slip, they do it gradually. I felt confident driving on the grip limit.
Brake performance seemed not quite as good as with the Pzeros, but I still outbrake most cars.
They took a lot of abuse without showing excessive wear; was driving that 270 degree (see pic) turn on four wheel slip over and over again. The Pzeros would have shed a lot more rubber than the PSS did.

Overall, very happy with the tires so far. Not quite the track performance of R comps, but I kept up with a lot of good handling cars on R comps in the turns. Better control and better lateral grip than the Pzeros.

/Swede

Well done Swede! I'm sure the Boss must have left some of those other more expensive cars a little humbled. :). And thanks for the feedback on the PSS', looks like that seals the deal for me on my next tires for the Boss.

Macker said:
Well done Swede! I'm sure the Boss must have left some of those other more expensive cars a little humbled. :). And thanks for the feedback on the PSS', looks like that seals the deal for me on my next tires for the Boss.

Thanks, I was very happy with the results. Also, Mustangs are not widely used as race cars over here and it's kind of cool to be the underdog. Got a lot of comments from the Lotus & Porsche guys; "Man, that car flies! What have you done with it?". "New brakes, that's about it :) Oh, that and I left the child seat at home".

Good luck with the tire choice!

/Swede

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel