The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 My first DYNO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Getting ready for my first dyno tune. Any advice to consider for this situation...

2012 Boss 302 (S clone with many upgrades, including Ford Racing IM, Cam, throttle body as far as power goes). 93 octane. Exclusively tracking at Gingerman Raceway this year, 2.2 mile course, 11 turns, top speed about 135mph, considered a bit of a more technical track but not overly so.

I'm an intermediate level HPDE guy after tracking the car a lot in my first season last year. Exit throttle is the biggest area for me to work on right now (I'm adjusting suspension parts but also wonder if we should address that with the dyno?)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
To be honest, the dyno is more for comfort. If your logs are good and the tune is right then the dyno is really only for a reference point. Corner exit will be a suspension issue, things like 18mm rear bar o no bar etc. I had more problems with corner exit with 400rwhp then I do now with around 500rwhp.

I want to go to the dyno soon mainly to compete with @Fabman :sneaky: . Basically because we haver very similar engines and the same tuner. So its a great reference point to see If I got something wrong. or is if should look at E85 instead of race gas.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Yeah, I think it's been tuned for 91 and 100 octane, not sure which it is set at now. Since the car is new to me the comfort I'd get from knowing it's tuned to my set up seems woth it, with a reference point to use as well. Thanks for the info.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You are doing HPDEs so I would also suggest setting the RPM range between 7400 and 7700, not the 7800-8000 many consider running in full race mode. This should encourage longer engine life and I have not been convinced cranking it all the way up to 8 bells is that productive.

Also, for MadChapeau, do not try and compare your Dyno numbers to Fabman's because his car is in North America , whereas yours is in South America. Logically, taking that into consideration, means your numbers will be down -------------------hehe!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel