The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASCAR 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like 2017 is off to a great start for Ford Performance. Let's hope it ends this way too. 8)

https://youtu.be/CwOWbY8T7j0

I've been following NASCAR for more years than I want to remember. I liked it better back in the days when you had "home" boys racing each other, not corporate backed "teams" in for the "chase"................. ;).......Go Ford, tho.......................

Just a thought..........I know we have restrictor plate racing now at some tracks (2)but why were Daytona & Talledaga made in the first place?...I know..We got too big for our britches.............is that spelled right?....if not, you worry about it......

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
302BOB said:
The deadbeater still can't get used to posting after 12pm and have it show up as 9am............bear with me ...sorry for the whatever...........must be MPMS. ;D

Looks fine to me. ;)

Just gotta change that setting like Rick said...

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Near the end of the race, the Fords hooked up would have had at least a 1-2 finish until Hamlin came down on Keselowski in the end.

I am curious as to how the new rule that if you have to take the car to the garage during the race, your out now.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
302BOB said:
Just a thought..........I know we have restrictor plate racing now at some tracks (2)but why were Daytona & Talledaga made in the first place?...I know..We got too big for our britches.............is that spelled right?....if not, you worry about it......

212 MPH for a stock bodied car is just too much. Elliot did this in the 90's Something had to be done to keep racing from becoming a blood sport.

I hate watching most restrictor plate races. I feel like I should take a nap, like most drivers do, until the last 50 laps. >:D

You are totally right about snoozzing thru most of the race unless pit strategy crashes or any other form of mayhem fills your void. Bottom line is the last few laps of the race will decide the winner....the one with the best car and/or the most guts............unless of course you had the best car from lap 1...

The Greatest Show on Earth is back.....and it is a show. I have worked races at TMS and heard plenty of "mystery cautions" when the race need some more excitement, or the Hendricks cars aren't doing so well. We have been out on the track in the crash trucks for "debris" and when we reported nothing we were requested to "find some" Sorry if your a NASCAR fan but that's the facts Jack!

Also big news all last week about Jr being back in the cars after 7 months. Fords and others were running 192 avg for last weekend sprint race. And then Jr's car wins the pole for the 500 but running 192 and everybody else is suddenly struggling to get close.......sorry ain't buying it.

Remember Daytona was built in 1958 and Talladega was built in 1968 to be faster and bigger. After Bobby Allison almost ended up in the stands in the 80's restrictor plates became the name of the game. I hope Junior wins it all and retires.

NASCAR: Nothing About Speed Cars and Racing.

Sorry, NASCAR's become a giant bore. Boring irrelevant cars, boring cookie cutter tracks (except the road courses), boring pack racing, boring corporatized everything...when I find myself occasionally switching channels to check out the PGA tournament during a NASCAR race, well, YAWWWN!

The bloom came off the NASCAR rose when they went to the totally insipid "Car of Tomorrow" spec racer -- maybe the most stucking foopid decision ever in a racing series -- and the music died along with Little E's daddy. And they haven't found a worthy new "band leader" since. And let's not even get started about the endless Death March race schedule that makes the NBA season look like a weekend at Bernie's.

The whole thing's become nothing but a glorified spec racing series with a declining fan base (the two might be connected, ya think?), with race attendance and TV audience falling off a cliff and yet to hit bottom, and a formula guaranteed to relegate it back to irrelevancy. It already is irrelevant, and the France fam hasn't a clue how to reverse things, not that they can what with fan demographics ultimately working against them, anyway. Demographics is destiny, as they say, right?

Maybe someone or some group will come up a better, more relevant concept for a "stock car" racing series, and design and launch it with better racing, cars, tracks, schedule, more interesting drivers and less corporatized bullshit. But I won't hold my breath.

NASCAR: Not A Single Clue About Racing.

Okay, end of rant.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NASCAR is not for everyone.

The new rules put in place by the France Family may just remove some of the snooze factor.

Sit at the back of the pack and loose points. Lead at the breaks and win points. Should cause folks to race the whole race.

You got to love the tin foil hat crowd who sees a conspiracy in everything. Reminds me to watch Dr. Strangelove again.

Should be an interesting race to watch

My wife and I went to Daytona a couple of years ago and it was awesome. Been a fan since the early 70's. I do fear that all these contrived fixes to make it exciting will do just the opposite. It isn't really racing if there are imposed reshuffling throughout the race. Anything that requires a cartoon to explain how things work is probably a bad thing.

TMSBOSS said:
Have you attended a race?

Yes, back in the late '80s-early '90s we lived in Va Beach, VA. Attended Winston Cup races at Richmond 3 times, and twice at Charlotte. Was a big Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki and Bill Elliott fan back then. Then we moved back to the midwest, life & kids happened and I haven't been to a NASCAR race since. No question attending a race is way more exciting/immersive/visceral then watching on TV.

Still, for me anyway, NASCAR just doesn't have the same raw appeal it once had. It went all "Hollywood." I'll watch Daytona...the first few laps, go do whatever I need to do that day (maybe go work on the Boss!), then watch the last 10 laps or so. Couldn't care less about the rest of the season.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I saw my first race at the Rock in the 80's. Yep, sure has changed. 4 hours to leave an event, waiting on traffic on a two lane. Not the best send off from the track. It's more of a show now. Both eras had their highs and lows.

Last race I went to was 3 years ago in Joliet. Nice show, good racing and a different atmosphere than earlier races.

Don't know that I want to,judge one against the other. Three or less cars on the lead lap, only a hand full of cars that could contented. The good ole days.....sort of.

If you want small track, home town racing, it's still alive and kicking. Local tracks have their charm, mostly.

When Earnhardt died, several things went with him. 1. You must now follow all safety standards, Dale did not. 2. Cars are now built to provide the driver with the highest probability of survival if you wreck, not so much before. 3. NASCAR inspects for violations at a level never seen I the past. Most Creative interpretations of the rules have been crushed.

Blaming the France family for a slow down in attendance might work for you, not so for me. They make changes to save drivers lives, level the playing field and improve the sport. Not all changes are "Winners". 1-3 dead a year was bad for the sport. Could more road course events help ratings? I think so.

The Good Ole Days are always going to beat out what happens today, mostly because of faded memories. I remember watching Mark, Kyle, Davie and Alan battle it out. Then I remember that two of them are dead and Kyle lost his son to racing. Had Adam been in a Car of Tomorrow when he had his practice crash, he would be here today likely as a fourth generation NASCAR star. Not all change is bad. ,

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Racing is racing and if I'm not doing it, I'm watching it. I like them all from cars to trucks to horses and dogs and if it moves, I've probably seen it race.

Had one hell of a tyme back in '92 at the Hooters 500 in Atlanta and they only let you bring a six pack of beer in but at any tyme you could go back out to your car to refill your cooler and go back in. Yeah things have changed but I still watch with the only difference now being that I record and skip through all the commercials.

TMO Supporting Vendors