The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Positives and Negatives of switching to Tremec Magnum XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
YellowBoss said:
What are the gear ratio's in the 302R? Also anyone know the factory 302S gear ratios?

The 302R ratios are in the spreadsheet shots I posted, all the way to the right; that's from Rehagen's listings. 302S should be same as the 6060 ones I posted.

So wwilde001, your gearing is going to be, 2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1.0, 0.8, 0.5 ?

Thats pretty close to the 302R, and from the experience of our track guys, who uses 6th gear anyway? I wonder if yellowboss could get more speed from this set up on the straights @ Daytona. I think I remember him being a hair under 170 in 5th with his setup, and he was not happy!

Yellowboss, are you using one of the tremec magnum transmissons or a transmission from the 302R race car?

Lastly, is the Boss 302R transmission really a no go with the stock speedo? What do they use on the race car?

Sarosh

I have the aftermarket Tremec T56 Magnum XL close ratio 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00 .74

You see the close ration listed on some sites as having a .80 fifth gear but that is incorrect. That is the way they planned to make it but later changed to the .74 and many sites did not correct for this. The 2.97 first is more of a drag racing geared box. I don't know much more about the R and S gear box except it is a 6060 with some modifications. From what I understand the Magnum XL should be stronger then both versions of the 6060.

Sadil, All correct except the 6th gear is posted wrong on the charts. The 6th gear will be a .63 ratio. Yes, it is very close to the MT-82 and the 302R tranny.

Scott, if you take your tranny out for the throw out bearing, why not look into getting the OD gear cluster changed out to the .80/.63? Just a thought.

Not sure about the 302R speedo. It may not have a speedo sensor hole in the casing, or it may not have a trigger ring in the tranny to trigger the sensor. Might be more to it, but not sure.

wwilde001 said:
Scott, if you take your tranny out for the throw out bearing, why not look into getting the OD gear cluster changed out to the .80/.63? Just a thought.

Cost.

I only use fifth at Daytona and at best I can get another 5-6 MPH in the tri-oval and 2-3 MPH off turn two. I ran some 2:07's there but with a good driver the way this car is setup it can run in the 205's (I think). Need to work on the driver mod before two tenths of a second from an expensive gear swap.

Trans is back in now. Have a great guy at the local dealer taking care of it. He loves to "test drive" it so I guessing he wants me to keep breaking stuff.

ArizonaGT said:
The 302R ratios are in the spreadsheet shots I posted, all the way to the right; that's from Rehagen's listings. 302S should be same as the 6060 ones I posted.

Lucky that did not jump off the page and slap me ::)

The .82 sounds right about what I was talking about in the 302R. I do like the different second and third gearing but second at 1.61 would be a bit too low for me. I like the way it pulls off corners now so somewhere in between the 1.78 and 1.61 might be better, mainly to help with down shifts with the 25 inch tires, less over reving.

I did. I ended up changing the OD cluster, so it is 2.66 close ration unit with the .80/.63 OD cluster. I thought about changing the rear gear to a 4.10, but decided to run the 3.73 first before making anymore changes. It is being installed as we speak. I hope to have my car back in about three weeks. I'll post some details once I get it back.

wwilde001 said:
I did. I ended up changing the OD cluster, so it is 2.66 close ration unit with the .80/.63 OD cluster. I thought about changing the rear gear to a 4.10, but decided to run the 3.73 first before making anymore changes. It is being installed as we speak. I hope to have my car back in about three weeks. I'll post some details once I get it back.

if it's taking 3 weeks, I hope there is other work being done as well. If not, I hope they aren't charging by the hour, 3 weeks seems a long time to do a tranny swap. :D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NewBossowner said:
if it's taking 3 weeks, I hope there is other work being done as well. If not, I hope they aren't charging by the hour, 3 weeks seems a long time to do a tranny swap. :D
takes a long time to harvest unicorn blood

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I think for long term ownership a Tremec conversion might be the right thing to do. Having had my transmission completely rebuilt by Ford at 8,000 miles does not give me any faith that its up to the task of handling the Boss powertrain. Having said this as long as Ford is willing to replace the transmission, I will wait till the warranty is up.
On a side note I was on the phone with Matt at Vorshlag we were discussing suspension changes on the Boss and the topic drifted to what was going on in the shop. They were just completing a Tremec conversion I believe on a GT. He said that Vorshlag was considering offering a kit for the Tremec conversion. Told him he would most likely sell a lot of them.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Domestic Product said:
I think for long term ownership a Tremec conversion might be the right thing to do. Having had my transmission completely rebuilt by Ford at 8,000 miles does not give me any faith that its up to the task of handling the Boss powertrain. Having said this as long as Ford is willing to replace the transmission, I will wait till the warranty is up.
On a side note I was on the phone with Matt at Vorshlag we were discussing suspension changes on the Boss and the topic drifted to what was going on in the shop. They were just completing a Tremec conversion I believe on a GT. He said that Vorshlag was considering offering a kit for the Tremec conversion. Told him he would most likely sell a lot of them.
jpc sells a kit already.
http://www.jpcracing.com/tremec-magnum-xl-s197-conversion-complete-kit-also-includes-driveshaft-clutch-flywheel-options/

Justin said:
jpc sells a kit already.
http://www.jpcracing.com/tremec-magnum-xl-s197-conversion-complete-kit-also-includes-driveshaft-clutch-flywheel-options/

Hurst also offers a conversion kit for the Mustang.

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?page_id=3596

And I have it on good authority that they supply the Unicorn Blood. ;D

Nobody installed the OEM GT500 Tremec?
A VERY reliable source mentioned to me that it is a very efficient & no brainer swap.
The 302S comes with +/- that transmission...

wwilde001 said:
Yeah, just a few more mods. I'll do a thread on the car when I pick it up from Michigan. :)
Hi WWILDE001
Did you edit a thread on your car?
I understand you have a Tremec Magnum in it?
As you did most of the 302s mods why did you not install the GT500 trans like the 302S have?
Are you happy with your Tremec Magnum? No issues whatsoever?
Thx
Patrick

Justin said:
if the xl is anything like my 00 Cobra R version was it didnt like to shifted quickly but it took a pounding. there are mods you can have done to the T-56 to make it shift like butter but I cant remember what or who sold the kit.

IIRC Liberty used to machine every other tooth off the synchronizers to make it easier to slip into gear. I think they could almost be shifted clutchless at high rpm. kind of a bear on the street though....

I didn't setup a thread on my car. If anyone is interested, please PM with your email address and I'll be happy to share what I have done, including my photobucket page. As far as not using the GT500, to be honest, the GT500 tranny wasn't even on my radar. I see the gear ratio's are almost identical to the Magnum XL. So it would be a very good swap assuming you could locate at 2013 GT500 tranny and figure out which driveshaft would work. So far I am very pleased with the Magnum XL, plus I get to enjoy a three year warranty. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors