The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Project Super Beater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
wait wait wait....there are two pumps? One for each fuel bubble? I only ever saw the one fuel pump under the rear seats. Uggh.
There is only one pump. There is a siphon that goes to the other side. It’s a complete POS system that I fought for a long time and eventually just tossed it and went with a fuel cell and external pump.
Simple, effective and easy to service.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Saddleback tank , what a great idea, except the douchecanoe made it side saddle , where only one " Side " had fuel half the time. Like the Fabman , I chucked it in and went with a fuel cell in my Boss 302S and never had a fuel issue again. So the new owner never has had the pleasure of losing races due to fuel starvation.
PS - I also needed to jump in so I could use the new BS1 term in a sentence ----- " douchcanoe " gotta love them Southern boy colloqualisms !!

CA
There is only one pump. There is a siphon that goes to the other side. It’s a complete POS system that I fought for a long time and eventually just tossed it and went with a fuel cell and external pump.
Simple, effective and easy to service.
I will consider myself lucky then, as I have not ran into any issues with it. But I never go below 1/4 tank. I've had slosh induced cutout maybe 4 times, but the tank was near 1/4 so I filled it and all good.

Next on the fuel related list is evap delete...

How much did it decrease amount of gas in the tank??
It really didn't I crammed it into the saddle portion of the tank to prevent the back and forth sloshing ( at least I hope) fuel will still pass, and it will absorb fuel, but it won't have the free flow effect back and forth between the tanks.

20230922_132212.jpg

wait wait wait....there are two pumps? One for each fuel bubble? I only ever saw the one fuel pump under the rear seats. Uggh.
My bad, 1 pump, driver side with some type of mickey mouse siphon tube leading to the passenger side, there are 2 fuel level floats as well. The problem is the fuel can free flow from one side to the other. The fix... or I hope the fix, I've been informed, hopefully correctly, is to cram fuel cell foam into the saddle between the 2 tank spaces. This should stem the free flow, cut out the ( 10 miles to empty) on the dash and possibly stop any fuel starvation.

Screenshot_20230922_202019_DuckDuckGo.jpg

So, as posted before, I installed a zoomie steering wheel release purchased from one of our TMO members and a MOMO wheel. This should give me a bit more room to negotiate entry in the trailer. Along those lines, I knew of an old Indian trick ( it may only work if you are an old indian) instead of using lock tight on parts you may want to get back apart.. especially using stainless fasteners, use a dab of super glue. It takes up the space in the threads keeping them tight, but once dry can be removed much easier.

20230925_123549.jpg

20230925_123532.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte

TMO Supporting Vendors