The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Riots in DC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
In the V6L
Question is, will that sway anyone who believes otherwise? I’ll pose the question - what would be a reasonable outcome the majority could support?
Unlikely to change any opinions. A lot of folks will respond with "he's just another (put pejorative label here) who's sold out (whatever words people have chosen for what they believe)". As for a reasonable outcome, it depends on what "reasonable" means. Many people will never forgive or forget, but they'll learn to tolerate it so they can get on with their daily lives.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Also it’s a long employed logical fallacy to say because two people hold differing views that they deserve equal consideration/press time. That only works when both views or propositions have equal merit or probability of being correct. This has been employee by climate deniers for ages. Just because you found a scientist who is willing to say climate change isn’t real, doesn’t mean blackbody radiation doesn’t exist. Venus is a second from the sun and magnitudes hotter than mercury. I’ll stick with physics. So perhaps just because someone has a belief let’s say Qanon, should they be given the same airtime and consideration as someone representing a position that can be validated?
I liked your post, and I agree about ‘experts’ being somewhat vetted to have press time. Not in a biased way, of course...but ones with similar or relevant credentials. At least supposing both views have any credible supporters.

But FWIW, even as a scientific sort of person, I think climate change is grossly misunderstood, misrepresented, and poorly forecasted by many scientists.

Statements regarding geological history are often clipped to present the data as more shocking and than it really should be.

3486149B-CF7A-4113-9A65-612D2F2CAD0D.jpeg

Looks bad at first glimpse. But one of the things I HATE...are charts that are scaled to mislead.

9C4E6896-492F-48AC-89D5-CDA6B15C16D5.jpeg

Note where 0 ppm would be. On the horizontal arrow I added.

E0365A9F-7C5B-42BA-8394-968827995B6A.jpeg70777ADC-BC6F-4981-8F5B-EA1CFF44AA27.jpeg

And then there’s time...the first graph ignores how high CO2 level were in the more distant past.

I could go on, but I’m not really sure why the scientists who got on board with typical climate change models and group thinking are necessarily thought of as being correct or more qualified to predict the future or even what is possible.

Grant 302

Unfortunately, Reasonable left the room long ago. Extreme left and right cannot be swayed.

I think you’re wrong about the first part. At least I hope so. But I do think there has been a bit of a draining of the reasonable middle and over-weighting on both extremes. It’s making the pendulum swing further to either sides with every political cycle.

In the V6L
I liked your post, and I agree about ‘experts’ being somewhat vetted to have press time. Not in a biased way, of course...but ones with similar or relevant credentials. At least supposing both views have any credible supporters.

But FWIW, even as a scientific sort of person, I think climate change is grossly misunderstood, misrepresented, and poorly forecasted by many scientists.

Statements regarding geological history are often clipped to present the data as more shocking and than it really should be.

View attachment 61091

Looks bad at first glimpse. But one of the things I HATE...are charts that are scaled to mislead.

View attachment 61092

Note where 0 ppm would be. On the horizontal arrow I added.

View attachment 61093View attachment 61094

And then there’s time...the first graph ignores how high CO2 level were in the more distant past.

I could go on, but I’m not really sure why the scientists who got on board with typical climate change models and group thinking are necessarily thought of as being correct or more qualified to predict the future or even what is possible.
How did we get from a young woman being killed in a tragic event to climate change? It's been a journey for sure...

In any case, I used to work for a company that made computerized display systems that were used on large ships for navigation and maneuvering. They were amazingly precise and with some training, you could move a large vessel around and put it exactly where you wanted it. However, the first page of the training manual said, in big letters "DON'T FORGET TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW". I used to be a climate change skeptic, but from looking out the window at ever more and bigger storms, melting glaciers, warmer years, more rain, and so on, I'm coming to think there might be some truth in it.

What happened at the Capitol is something we can never forget..let the blame fall where it may...what does it matter???...lives were lost for no apparent signifcent reason...bad chapter in our history book....................

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Agree. My interpretation is that we are changing to a system where we work for the parties. Not because of what is said or done by the parties but because what is said and done by the people. No demand for compromise. Acceptance of our "Elected Leadership" turning governance into a party before country proposition. Expecting all problems to be solved by the government. These things are not healthy.
From 2006 until 2016 I worked overseas in positions where I was engrossed with day to day activities trying to get the job done and keeping folks safe. What happened in the states was something I came back to and caught up on after reconnecting with family, meaning not often. When I moved home in 16, the changes which were likely subtle for those at home, stuck me as drastic when taken in one sitting. Were the changes fueled by the internet? Hard to say. Likely. The "Flat Screen Reality" is not healthy.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I think you’re wrong about the first part. At least I hope so. But I do think there has been a bit of a draining of the reasonable middle and over-weighting on both extremes. It’s making the pendulum swing further to either sides with every political cycle.
I'd like to believe this as well - the loudest voices are the ones you're most likely to hear. And those are the ones who get the most attention, especially when what they're saying is controversial or meant to scare you into taking action.

Grant 302

I'd like to believe this as well - the loudest voices are the ones you're most likely to hear. And those are the ones who get the most attention, especially when what they're saying is controversial or meant to scare you into taking action.
Then add two-pronged MSM fueling that divide...

How did we get from a young woman being killed in a tragic event to climate change? It's been a journey for sure...
Welcome to TMO. 😉

But for the weather...we haven’t even been tracking things for very long. Storms are bigger...than when? Humans are arrogant enough to call certain magnitude events “100 year storms” and such, when we have only tracked a couple hundred years. And then we’re surprised that flood plains flood when an even bigger storm comes along.

Politically, this is a pretty big storm. Let’s all be reasonable and not make it a country ending one. None of the clowns in play are worth fighting over or dying for. No matter what side you’re on.

Grant 302

This bothers me too but it just doesn't seem like anyone would make it far in the process if they didn't vilify the opposing party and embrace their own party's position on every issue.

Yeah, they have the example of the ‘leadership’ on both sides. Those are the most powerful individuals.

In the V6L
Then add two-pronged MSM fueling that divide...

Welcome to TMO. 😉

But for the weather...we haven’t even been tracking things for very long. Storms are bigger...than when? Humans are arrogant enough to call certain magnitude events “100 year storms” and such, when we have only tracked a couple hundred years. And then we’re surprised that flood plains flood when an even bigger storm comes along.

Politically, this is a pretty big storm. Let’s all be reasonable and not make it a country ending one. None of the clowns in play are worth fighting over or dying for. No matter what side you’re on.
I agree, and from my perspective the most important part of the message wasn't the climate change one, it was to remember that when you're getting your information from a computer screen, "DON'T FORGET TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW". We did have one category of customers for whom this advice was useless because their boats didn't have windows.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil........sometymes it needs more than that......sometymes it needs repacking...............that may be needed now in our world/society................A fresh, new start is always a blessing to a new beginning........................Hang on....Hold on to your hats!!!..the ride begins soon.........................................

Grant 302

I agree, and from my perspective the most important part of the message wasn't the climate change one, it was to remember that when you're getting your information from a computer screen, "DON'T FORGET TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW". We did have one category of customers for whom this advice was useless because their boats didn't have windows.

I got your point the first time. 😉

I absolutely agree about it...especially considering that as I tuned in to less investing ‘news’, the better I generally traded.

One trouble though, with ‘looking out the window’ is that it seemed to reduce people’s perceived danger of coronavirus. I mean for a seemingly loooong time there were no real large increases in cases around here. So I think a lot of my neighbors became really complacent because of what wasn’t happening locally.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Regarding charts on climate change, one must keep in mind how it was measured and the technology used at the tyme. Sorta ends up like trying to compare Johnny Unitas to Tom Brady. Ten years is a window we can all see through clearly but what about 100 years? What constitutes a bad storm now and then. I think you can apply the same to politics. The access to information today is so much different that even twenty years ago and the divide could have been the same as today but not shoved down your throat like it is today.

sfo
What happened at the Capitol is something we can never forget..let the blame fall where it may...what does it matter???...lives were lost for no apparent signifcent reason...bad chapter in our history book....................

It sure plays the way you say. How different the sunrise movement capitol takeover with AOC helping out and positive response by the Speaker! When it suits the needs of those in power we see a completely different media slant. Are people who took over portland and chop getting as much pressure from DOJ and FBI and getting fired by employers like the Right wingers are? People got killed there too. A LEO was kiled at the capitol but so was a protesting Vet. I'm not taking sides. I'm in the middle. I'm just asking...
History is always written by the victor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors